PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:58 pm

We don't have CALIs at my school, but I received the top grade in one of my classes and it wasn't an A+. So you might actually have a top grade and not even know it.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Many schools list Fs on transcripts when the actual grade is an A++.

Actually just pulled that out of my ass, but hopefully that is the case.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:05 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:We don't have CALIs at my school, but I received the top grade in one of my classes and it wasn't an A+. So you might actually have a top grade and not even know it.

Very possible. Another student told me that the top students get an A+ on the transcript, even though it's still worth the same amount of quality points as an A.

The only two possibilities are Contracts and Criminal Law, but I didn't feel comfortable with either exam. I was shocked to see an A in both on my transcript. I hit close to median in Civil Procedure and LRW, so those two are out of the question.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:08 pm

odoylerulez wrote:This may be a strange twist in my situation..

I received an e-mail today from my Torts professor reminding me to join the CALI LinkedIn group. To get an invitation, you have to win a CALI award, ten of which were given out here (two for each class). But.. I never received a previous e-mail about getting a CALI award. I believe those e-mails were already sent out early on Friday. I think my Torts professor handles all of the CALI stuff, so even if I did CALI, that does not mean it was in his class. The e-mail doesn't specify which class it's about.

I was under the impression that CALI award winners are given an A+ on the transcript, but I have no A+ listed.. only that mysterious failing grade in Torts. I'm holding out some small hope that I actually dropped a CALI in Torts but my transcript is wrong.

It's also possible I just got the e-mail by accident..

I e-mailed him back, but no reply yet..

2L, so I don't belong in this thread (sorry everyone), but I just wanted to say I really hope this works out for you. It's easy for people to judge each other for being overconfident, but I don't think anyone deserves a failing grade. This sounds like an interesting development, but try to keep your expectations low until you hear something definite. Law school cheats everyone out of what they feel they deserved, especially students who are used to performing at the top of the class in undergrad. That's the nature of the curve. Good luck - I'm pulling for you :)

Edit: then again, the fact that you have As in two other classes does indicate that the CALI might be for one of those (some professors don't give A+s to even the top grade in the class), and your Torts grade is in fact correct...

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Many schools list Fs on transcripts when the actual grade is an A++.

Actually just pulled that out of my ass, but hopefully that is the case.

lol forgot that he had an F. Good point Joad.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:34 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:46 pm

I got an e-mail back from my Torts professor. Turns out I had a CALI in Contracts, but I didn't get the first e-mail. On top of that, he claims the lowest exam grade that he turned in was a C-. Here, you have to get administrative approval to even give less than a C-. How a lower grade wound up on my transcript is still a mystery.

I should get my real Torts grade tomorrow. Here's to hoping it isn't a C-.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:47 pm

odoylerulez wrote:I got an e-mail back from my Torts professor. Turns out I had a CALI in Contracts, but I didn't get the first e-mail. On top of that, he claims the lowest exam grade that he turned in was a C-. Here, you have to get administrative approval to even give less than a C-. How a lower grade wound up on my transcript is still a mystery.

Awesome!

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:51 pm

odoylerulez wrote:I got an e-mail back from my Torts professor. Turns out I had a CALI in Contracts, but I didn't get the first e-mail. On top of that, he claims the lowest exam grade that he turned in was a C-. Here, you have to get administrative approval to even give less than a C-. How a lower grade wound up on my transcript is still a mystery.

Nice! Glad it worked out for you.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:03 pm

hyakku wrote:So buckingham and Unam, bets on how late our professors will be getting our grades in after this week? I say all of my grades don't get in until around Feb 2.

K prof sent them in last week. It's fully on the administration at this point.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Nice man. Didn't say anything, but despite TLS speak, it seemed pretty insane to me that you got a D-/F if you wrote a full exam, excluding that anomalous Tulane guy. I would've been pretty shocked if you somehow CALI'd one course and completely failed another. Glad it worked out.

K prof sent them in last week. It's fully on the administration at this point.

True, I forgot all about that. Here's to hoping that the new admin doesn't slow things down, I'll post / PM you whenever I get something to let you know.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:10 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Way to stick with it. I don't think I would have had the balls to actually appeal, though I suppose an F is something you never just want to accept.

Good luck! Crossing fingers for a good Torts grade :)

uvabro

Postby uvabro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:47 pm

cool. good luck. as much as i hate pompousness, i respect properly placed cockiness.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm

hyakku wrote:So buckingham and Unam, bets on how late our professors will be getting our grades in after this week? I say all of my grades don't get in until around Feb 2.

That sounds about right to me. A friend of mine remembered that during class our Torts prof explicitly said she would wait until the last day to submit grades. This is getting really fucking annoying, especially for Property (all multiple choice).

Postby 20130312 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

uvabro wrote:

cool. good luck. as much as i hate pompousness, i respect properly placed cockiness.

Girl, don't tempt me.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:

That sounds about right to me. A friend of mine remembered that during class our Torts prof explicitly said she would wait until the last day to submit grades. This is getting really fucking annoying, especially for Property (all multiple choice).

LOL what the fuck, was she explicitly trolling? I think Michigan's secret is to get us all comfortable with their cheer, happiness and winter fun so that when they decide to do nothing or give you radio silence on important shit you feel guilty for being angry at them. Did it with the status checker, did it with classes (two of my classes just don't have syllabi for no reason), and now grades -_-. Michigan is 97% awesome, but that 3% is such a swift kick in the nads.

Still though, deadline is still approaching so I'm not really that pissed, but I'd be furious if one of our professors stated that to us. I'd rather just get the grade late over having the person making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year with the sole required duties of teaching and grading telling me they plan to do 50% of their job as slowly as possible.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:01 pm

hyakku wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Michigan is 97% awesome, but that 3% is such a swift kick in the nads.

Seriously. We're her only class, too. And we're only a two-section lecture. Oh well.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:36 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
hyakku wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:

Michigan is 97% awesome, but that 3% is such a swift kick in the nads.

Seriously. We're her only class, too. And we're only a two-section lecture. Oh well.

lolwut. Not a good look for her.

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:35 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 pm

MICHIGAN IS STARTING TO POST GRADES. GO GO GO GO GO.

Best part for me, exam I thought I did worst in: CrimLaw - A

Although this might be more of a curse because I thought I got medianpwned there so maybe I shouldn't be so fucking happy but god damnit I'm gonna go get blitzed.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:40 pm

hyakku wrote:MICHIGAN IS STARTING TO POST GRADES. GO GO GO GO GO.

Although this might be more of a curse because I thought I got medianpwned there so maybe I shouldn't be so fucking happy but god damnit I'm gonna go get blitzed.

congrats!

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:38 pm

hyakku wrote:MICHIGAN IS STARTING TO POST GRADES. GO GO GO GO GO.

Dude, MAJOR congrats! Still nothing here. Freaked out when I saw your poast haha.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVAIce

Postby UVAIce » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Crim law: A
Torts: A
Civ pro: A-
Contracts B+

Hell yes.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”