PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mr.hands

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby mr.hands » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:30 pm

TheZoid wrote:Confidence is all well and good, but hopefully you realize there are a good deal of wustlers on tls, and it just comes off as brash and disrespectful to your classmates to be throwing around predictions about your class rank, etc. especially as a 1l with no idea how your grades will turn out or line up with your expectations. I hate to root against you, but you certainly seem deserving of a slice of humble pie.

Agreed. You sound kind of like an ass.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:24 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:And the first two tests, which weren't my stronger classes, I hit everything

This translates as "I didn't even think of a ton of stuff"

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm

mr.hands wrote:
TheZoid wrote:Confidence is all well and good, but hopefully you realize there are a good deal of wustlers on tls, and it just comes off as brash and disrespectful to your classmates to be throwing around predictions about your class rank, etc. especially as a 1l with no idea how your grades will turn out or line up with your expectations. I hate to root against you, but you certainly seem deserving of a slice of humble pie.

Agreed. You sound kind of like an ass.

Agreed. It's also just risky. There are known unknowns and unknown unknowns (I disagree as a epistemic proposition, but Donald Rumsfled is cool...) You don't even know about all the issues you just didn't pick up on, and you'll never know, until you get your grades back, because you can't reread the fact pattern and don't remember it all.

Why set yourself up for such a fall?

Take it from me...

If you had said "I related every fact in the fact pattern to an issue and it took me 7000 words to do it," that would be one thing. But just to say "I hit everything..." wellllll.... okay....

Postby 005618502 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I seriously think confidence helps a lot going into a test. For Torts and Contracts I was confident as could be. And I feel good about the test. That doesnt mean I did well on it, but I had that feeling during the test like "you got this." Whereas I went into civ pro praying not to be below median and I struggled with the exam. Seriously, even if confidence doesnt correlate, I think it helps your test performance at least in keeping your mind clear.

Domiii

Postby Domiii » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Just completed my 7 hour (closed book) civ pro final. I felt pretty good about it until I learned that I wrote about half as much as most of my comrades. Now I'm in serious denial... ugh.

sopranorleone

Postby sopranorleone » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm

Domiii wrote:Just completed my 7 hour (closed book) civ pro final. I felt pretty good about it until I learned that I wrote about half as much as most of my comrades. Now I'm in serious denial... ugh.

That is a long, long test. It's almost so unreasonable, it should be dismissed for forum non conveniens.

Domiii

Postby Domiii » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 pm

sopranorleone wrote:
Domiii wrote:Just completed my 7 hour (closed book) civ pro final. I felt pretty good about it until I learned that I wrote about half as much as most of my comrades. Now I'm in serious denial... ugh.

That is a long, long test. It's almost so unreasonable, it should be dismissed for forum non conveniens.

I see what you did there, and I appreciate it.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 pm

sopranorleone wrote:

Let it scab, dude.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:02 pm

Civ Pro over. It was a 4 hour, 4900 word limit test that was really straightforward. It felt fine, but I have no idea how he could differentiate any of those damn things.

aspenex

Postby aspenex » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:03 pm

How long does it take to get grades back

Domiii

Postby Domiii » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm

aspenex wrote:How long does it take to get grades back

I'd imagine it depends on the professor and the school. There's always a legend floating around that some of the 1L profs don't get grades back until April.

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:I seriously think confidence helps a lot going into a test. For Torts and Contracts I was confident as could be. And I feel good about the test. That doesnt mean I did well on it, but I had that feeling during the test like "you got this." Whereas I went into civ pro praying not to be below median and I struggled with the exam. Seriously, even if confidence doesnt correlate, I think it helps your test performance at least in keeping your mind clear.

I don't disagree with you at all, but it's one thing to feel confident in your ability going into the test and a whole different thing to come on TLS and gloat about how your crushing it when you're a first semester 1L with absolutely no idea how that feeling translates into grades. I'm not encouraging anyone to forget about confidence, I just think you have to balance it against showing some respect for your classmates and some general humility.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Just got RAPED by torts. Finished with my exams. Now I get to wait with y'all.

thelong

Postby thelong » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Civ Pro over. It was a 4 hour, 4900 word limit test that was really straightforward. It felt fine, but I have no idea how he could differentiate any of those damn things.

Sounds like a bunch of sections ended up with basically the same fact pattern.

Pretty sure there were different questions in each section though.

Also, we had no word limit.

Still, I'm basically useless for at least the rest of the night.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

thelong wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Civ Pro over. It was a 4 hour, 4900 word limit test that was really straightforward. It felt fine, but I have no idea how he could differentiate any of those damn things.

You know how there are like 10 parts to Civ Pro and they ask like 8 of them on the exam? This exam basically felt the same as McKenzie's test from 2010, exactly the same two parts were missing, and it wasn't like I couldn't find them, htey were notice/opportunity to be heard and discovery.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Checking in, not even gonna try to predict my performance. Torts was scary as hell. I was typing the whole time and didn't finish. Everyone came out of that exam looking like a zombie. Not gonna check on grades until after new years.

I will, however, be checking out the liquor stores around town now that I have a bit of time. :)

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Finished Property yesterday. All multiple choice, multiple correct answers, and penalties for guessing. It was...interesting. I feel really dumb right now.

sbl274

Postby sbl274 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:30 pm

FML. tort yesterday. fuckingly fucked the whole fucking fuckbomb. i'm a slow typer (like 60-70 wpm) so i typed like mad throughout. read it over with 5 minutes to go, had like 20 sentences that had random words missing. fuck. then realized i fucked up the entire fucking but for cause shit cause fucking misread the fucking facts. fuck. 1L. fuck. good...luck....everyone.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 pm

thelong wrote:

btw, I think Milley just reused Neuborne's test

noleknight16

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Actual letter grade came back for legal writing. A-. I'll take that all day, err day.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:24 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Actual letter grade came back for legal writing. A-. I'll take that all day, err day.

congrats man must feel good!

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:26 pm

after law school i get the feeling ill be driving a dumptruck with a reflective vest on

otnemem

Postby otnemem » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:40 pm

Just bombed contracts. Half MC, which went ok I think, but I totally whiffed on the 1 essay. Pretty sure I missed issues, because I had way too much time and didn't write nearly enough for the time allotted.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:52 pm

noleknight16 wrote:Actual letter grade came back for legal writing. A-. I'll take that all day, err day.

Good stuff bro!

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh, forgot about this forum after the LSAT.

I'm freaking out over my grades, though. Felt like I was doing well all semester, but choked pretty consistently throughout finals, so I don't know what's going to happen.

My school curves to around a 3.0.

Civil Procedure probably went OK, but it was a fairly easy exam. Fortunately, gave myself some breathing room with an A- on the midterm. I have a feeling everyone's going to get pretty well dragged to median considering how straightforward the exam was.

Contracts, I thought I did awesome, but after the exam, I figured out I missed an entire promissory estoppel argument on one of the questions. I'll be happy if I got through that one with a B.

Criminal Law, did horrible, spent too much time outlining and just didn't get to all of the issues. That exam was a major time crunch.

Legal Writing, have the grade already, B+. meh.

Torts, may have dropped a CALI. Multiple choice exam and I pretty much knew everything. I'm relying on this class to bail my ass out from the other exams, potentially.

I feel like my GPA could be anywhere from 2.7 to 4.0. Safe to say, this is going to be a long few weeks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”