PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Platinum

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by 2014 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Please PLEASE report your results when you get the appeal back. I think I speak for the majority in hoping that the grade is accurate but I want to know either way.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:00 pm

nucky thompson wrote:Brah - you are setting yourself up for complete emotional devastation. Listen to the other posters. It is possible there was a mistake - but the presumption at this point should be "I really fucked that exam up - what can I learn from it" -- as opposed to "clear mistake. it was my best exam and I was most prepared, therefore the professor is just wrong"

If the prof never gives a D or F, and he did not actually intend to give you a D or F, wouldn't he notice the mistake??

Its not like you should have had an A, but due to a clerical error you got a B. In such a case the professors grade distribution chart would just have one less A, and one extra B.
See, this is built on the assumption that the professor is the one who made the mistake. I'm not saying that happened at all. In fact, I would be SHOCKED if the professor made the error in terms of actually going through and marking up the exam.

My best guesses are that something went wrong either with ExamSoft or the person responsible for putting the grades into the system made a mistake. A student using the wrong ID number in ExamSoft could cause problems too.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 pm

2014 wrote:Please PLEASE report your results when you get the appeal back. I think I speak for the majority in hoping that the grade is accurate but I want to know either way.
Yeah, I plan to. This will PROBABLY be resolved on Tuesday. Wednesday at the latest.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:02 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:This was not an exam that deserved a grade of under a C-. Plain and simple.
Don't you think the professor is in the best position to decide this?
This is exactly where the "special snowflake" issue is coming in. Something tells me that if the grade is indeed correct, you will not accept it.

You think that you can determine your own grade (even if it could be as low as a C) and that any negative deviation from that is someone else's mistake and not your own.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:05 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:This was not an exam that deserved a grade of under a C-. Plain and simple.
This is exactly where the "special snowflake" issue is coming in. Something tells me that if the grade is indeed correct, you will not accept it.

You think that you can determine your own grade (even if it could be as low as a C) and that any negative deviation from that is someone else's mistake and not your own.
But that's just it - given the information we were given by the school and the professor as to the horrendous quality of a D/F exam, there is absolutely zero chance that this is correct.

I make mistakes, but I'm someone that takes school very seriously. I would never have gone to law school if I thought there was any chance I would spit out a failing grade first semester.. in the class that I care the most about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:07 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

I advise you to chill bro. Get off TLS and just do something not related to worrying about this shit. You cannot take any meaningful steps until Tuesday (unless your school is open tomorrow), so leave it be until then.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:09 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

But that's just it - given the information we were given by the school and the professor as to the horrendous quality of a D/F exam, there is absolutely zero chance that this is correct.

I make mistakes, but I'm someone that takes school very seriously. I would never have gone to law school if I thought there was any chance I would spit out a failing grade first semester.. in the class that I care the most about.
Oh ok, I didn't realize that Ds or Fs were given only to horrendous exams or that your exam was not horrendous.

Interesting anecdote: At my UG (where, surprisingly, Fs were only given to terrible work as well) I once typed a paper that I thought was dynamite. I thought it was an easy A. I put a ton of work into it. Guess what? I somehow got an F. I took school very seriously too. Believe it or not, it can happen.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 pm

Gorki wrote:I advise you to chill bro. Get off TLS and just do something not related to worrying about this shit. You cannot take any meaningful steps until Tuesday (unless your school is open tomorrow), so leave it be until then.
I think I'll take your advice. Already wasted two entire days being so stressed over this, even though I'm cautiously optimistic about how things will turn out. Maybe leaving this place alone will help, even if just a little bit.

And yeah, our school is closed tomorrow. That's why I have to wait until Tuesday.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:16 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:At my UG (where, surprisingly, Fs were only given to terrible work as well) I once typed a paper that I thought was dynamite. I thought it was an easy A. I put a ton of work into it. Guess what? I somehow got an F. I took school very seriously too. Believe it or not, it can happen.

you wrote an UG paper that recieved a failing grade?

wut

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
Gorki wrote:I advise you to chill bro. Get off TLS and just do something not related to worrying about this shit. You cannot take any meaningful steps until Tuesday (unless your school is open tomorrow), so leave it be until then.
I think I'll take your advice. Already wasted two entire days being so stressed over this, even though I'm cautiously optimistic about how things will turn out. Maybe leaving this place alone will help, even if just a little bit.

And yeah, our school is closed tomorrow. That's why I have to wait until Tuesday.
Best of luck man. Idk about others in this thread, but I do wish you the best. Just try to de-stress and be ready for the meeting so you aren't already in freak out mode when you walk in.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:27 pm

odoylerulez wrote:

to be fair - you havent been very cautious with regard to your optimism

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Gorki wrote:Best of luck man. Idk about others in this thread, but I do wish you the best.
Same. Just think you're being pompous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:34 pm

I'm torn. Part of me wants duder to learn a lesson. The other part of me doesn't think anyone's life should be fucked up by a bad grade.

Right now I'm leaning toward wanting the grade to be accurate. :oops:

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:43 pm

I don't really care what dudes grade ends up being but he sounds like an entitled douche.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:49 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Oh ok, I didn't realize that Ds or Fs were given only to horrendous exams or that your exam was not horrendous.

Interesting anecdote: At my UG (where, surprisingly, Fs were only given to terrible work as well) I once typed a paper that I thought was dynamite. I thought it was an easy A. I put a ton of work into it. Guess what? I somehow got an F. I took school very seriously too. Believe it or not, it can happen.
It's harder to get an F in law school than just about anywhere else in life.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Exception: Cooley

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:55 pm

Pleasye wrote:I don't really care what dudes grade ends up being but he sounds like an entitled douche.

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Eh, if I failed a class my 1L fall, I'd also take every avenue possible to make 100% sure it was accurate. I think a lot of people who worked really hard and got an F think the same way this dude thinks but just don't say it as bluntly as he is saying it.

Best of luck to you man. Hopefully it works out.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:11 pm

shumpshump wrote:Eh, if I failed a class my 1L fall, I'd also take every avenue possible to make 100% sure it was accurate. I think a lot of people who worked really hard and got an F think the same way this dude thinks but just don't say it as bluntly as he is saying it.

My idea too. If an a D/F is extremely rare and you thought you knew what you were doing, it's absolutely worth it to fight it because you think something might be up.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm

shumpshump wrote:Eh, if I failed a class my 1L fall, I'd also take every avenue possible to make 100% sure it was accurate. I think a lot of people who worked really hard and got an F think the same way this dude thinks but just don't say it as bluntly as he is saying it.

+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:14 pm

That's true. I'd talk to the professor/see what the hell happened. I do think there's a big difference between saying "I'd check out what happened" and "It can't possibly be correct, so I'm in the to 10-20% of the class."

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:18 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:At my UG (where, surprisingly, Fs were only given to terrible work as well) I once typed a paper that I thought was dynamite. I thought it was an easy A. I put a ton of work into it. Guess what? I somehow got an F. I took school very seriously too. Believe it or not, it can happen.

you wrote an UG paper that recieved a failing grade?

wut
It was for an ethics philosophy course. It was a 10 page paper and about half of it was supposed to be our opinion about altruism. I decided to write about why I thought there was no such thing a selfless good deed. Turns out he is one of the leading national scholars supporting the exact opposite view. He was not happy (despite there being no real factual errors). Quickly learned my lesson to not write about what I thought, but rather about what the teacher wanted to hear.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 pm

hibiki wrote:

That's true. I'd talk to the professor/see what the hell happened. I do think there's a big difference between saying "I'd check out what happened" and "It can't possibly be correct, so I'm in the to 10-20% of the class."
Exactly. There's nothing wrong with thinking there could be an error (which could well be the case). That is a long way from "It's so far off that it's patently obvious that something went wrong" though.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 pm

I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of $$ that the grade is correct.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”