PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KidStuddi
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:09 am

frosty6731 wrote:What does a poor grade in legal writing mean? Does this look especially bad on a transcript? Based on a C+ grade in this class, should I be worried about my ability to write in practice? If I still have a great gpa (3.53, top 10%) should I worry about it at all?


I wouldn't read too much into it unless you got a C+ because you have persistently horrible grammar or something. The subjectivity is exactly why so many schools have P/F LRW.

frosty6731
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby frosty6731 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:14 am

KidStuddi wrote:
frosty6731 wrote:What does a poor grade in legal writing mean? Does this look especially bad on a transcript? Based on a C+ grade in this class, should I be worried about my ability to write in practice? If I still have a great gpa (3.53, top 10%) should I worry about it at all?


I wouldn't read too much into it unless you got a C+ because you have persistently horrible grammar or something. The subjectivity is exactly why so many schools have P/F LRW.


That is the thing. I am, grammatically, an excellent writer. I didn't follow IRAC, I think that was my problem.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 am

frosty6731 wrote:
That is the thing. I am, grammatically, an excellent writer. I didn't follow IRAC

Sometimes, the arrogance of law students is staggering.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby 2014 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:20 am

It's not going to preclude you from getting a job, but finishing in the bottom few people in my LRW class would absolutely concern me.

kingofdara
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:49 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby kingofdara » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 am

frosty6731 wrote:That is the thing. I am, grammatically, an excellent writer. I didn't follow IRAC, I think that was my problem.


??? That's the point of the ENTIRE class.

mr.hands
Posts: 892
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby mr.hands » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:27 am

kingofdara wrote:
frosty6731 wrote:That is the thing. I am, grammatically, an excellent writer. I didn't follow IRAC, I think that was my problem.


??? That's the point of the ENTIRE class.


Lol

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am

grades loom.

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby llachans » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am

Waiting on one last grade. If I get an A, I'd hit my target gpa. I don't see myself getting an A in it so I'm feeling pretty disappointed at the moment.

I guess the next step is to try and figure out what I can improve on next semester.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 am

llachans wrote:Waiting on one last grade. If I get an A, I'd hit my target gpa. I don't see myself getting an A in it so I'm feeling pretty disappointed at the moment.

I guess the next step is to try and figure out what I can improve on next semester.


grades LOOM

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 am

mr.hands wrote:
kingofdara wrote:
frosty6731 wrote:That is the thing. I am, grammatically, an excellent writer. I didn't follow IRAC, I think that was my problem.


??? That's the point of the ENTIRE class.


Lol


Also, your coma in your last sentence should be a semicolon.

Grammatically, you may or may not be an excellent writer. But a law exam is not a grammar exam.

Did you have Friedman as a prof? Is he tellin peps CivPro = grammar just to fuck with um on the final?

Start a new thread...!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Bronck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:43 am

Nothing new from my last prof. Time to place bets on whether he will be late, since today is technically the deadline for grades. My guess is I won't get that final grade until mid-next week or the end of it.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby JG7773 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 am

Deadline was yesterday. . . still waiting today! GIVE ME DEM GRADES!

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Bronck wrote:Nothing new from my last prof. Time to place bets on whether he will be late, since today is technically the deadline for grades. My guess is I won't get that final grade until mid-next week or the end of it.


I bet most of the remaining grades post tonight.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby stillwater » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 pm

civ pro: A+
torts: A
contracts: A
Legal Writing: A-


fuck yes

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7165
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 pm

stillwater wrote:civ pro: A+
torts: A
contracts: A
Legal Writing: A-


fuck yes


Fucking KILLED IT.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby SportsFan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

stillwater wrote:civ pro: A+
torts: A
contracts: A
Legal Writing: A-


fuck yes

WOW. Congratulations man! You KILLED it.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:53 pm

SportsFan wrote:
stillwater wrote:civ pro: A+
torts: A
contracts: A
Legal Writing: A-


fuck yes

WOW. Congratulations man! You KILLED it.


Awesome!

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Bronck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:59 pm

hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote:Nothing new from my last prof. Time to place bets on whether he will be late, since today is technically the deadline for grades. My guess is I won't get that final grade until mid-next week or the end of it.


I bet most of the remaining grades post tonight.


Yeah, looks like a couple just came in according to the FB group.

User avatar
shumpshump
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby shumpshump » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Bronck wrote:
hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote:Nothing new from my last prof. Time to place bets on whether he will be late, since today is technically the deadline for grades. My guess is I won't get that final grade until mid-next week or the end of it.


I bet most of the remaining grades post tonight.


Yeah, looks like a couple just came in according to the FB group.


I'm surprised I don't have my LPW grade in. The prof for my remaining grade is notoriously late (like usually mid-Feb) so I'm not sure if I should have any hope for today.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:02 pm

shumpshump wrote:I'm surprised I don't have my LPW grade in. The prof for my remaining grade is notoriously late (like usually mid-Feb) so I'm not sure if I should have any hope for today.


That's awful. At least LPW is relatively meaningless.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Bronck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm

hibiki wrote:
shumpshump wrote:I'm surprised I don't have my LPW grade in. The prof for my remaining grade is notoriously late (like usually mid-Feb) so I'm not sure if I should have any hope for today.


That's awful. At least LPW is relativelymeaningless.


FTFY :)

Everyone passes anyway. But mid-Feb? That's awful...

yurista
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:34 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby yurista » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm

:( Just got my last grade. Not thrilled. wondering about shitty cls grades for summer apps..
Last edited by yurista on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Bronck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:14 pm

yurista wrote::( Just got my last grade. Not thrilled. Wondering how a 3.1 from CLS looks for 1L summer apps?


It's 1L summer, I don't think it will matter much since everyone gets something in the end. If, however, you don't improve that GPA next semester, you better hustle hard come EIP. A 3.1 is a pretty precarious place to be.

User avatar
shumpshump
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby shumpshump » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 pm

Any idea what GPA is what percentile? What I've gotten from conversations from upperclassmen is:

3.41 - top 40%
3.33 - median

not sure how accurate though...

User avatar
jetissent
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:33 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby jetissent » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Not sure but I thought Stone (3.41) was ~30%.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BlackWillHunting, Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests