PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby soj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.


There's another semester bro.

Fuck us, I'm already anticipating suicide urges in June.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.


Sorry bro. Keep your chin up.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:08 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.


Sorry bro. Keep your chin up.


No, I just meant I was relieved that the wait was over.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Bronck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:19 pm

Incessantly refreshing for my final grade. Not sure why.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.

My condolences if things weren't great, man. That bimodal salary distribution can really limit a person's consumption of Apple products. Hopefully you killed it though. And there is always culinary school.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby smaug_ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Bronck wrote:Incessantly refreshing for my final grade. Not sure why.


Did the number post yet? Either way
--ImageRemoved--
:lol:

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Bronck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:26 pm

hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote:Incessantly refreshing for my final grade. Not sure why.


Did the number post yet? Either way


Not yet :|

And this is my SMALL SECTION too. He had 35 word limited exams to grade. C'mon bro, gtfo the couch, stop watching daytime soaps, and grade.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:46 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.

My condolences if things weren't great, man. That bimodal salary distribution can really limit a person's consumption of Apple products. Hopefully you killed it though. And there is always culinary school.


Gonna max out all the Apple products I can on dat IBR.

User avatar
Tom Joad
Posts: 4542
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.

My condolences if things weren't great, man. That bimodal salary distribution can really limit a person's consumption of Apple products. Hopefully you killed it though. And there is always culinary school.


Gonna max out all the Apple products I can on dat IBR.

Blump goes to accountant in 2040

"Man, it is nice to finally get rid of these student loans I have been dragging around for 25 years."

"Mr. Blump, you did know you were ineligible for loan forgiveness each year you bought an Apple product, per the 2039 legislation?"

Image

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:03 pm

Get outta here with that ex post bullshit.

Buying every new iteration of every iThing is my God-given right as an American.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Bronck wrote:
hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote:Incessantly refreshing for my final grade. Not sure why.


Did the number post yet? Either way


Not yet :|

And this is my SMALL SECTION too. He had 35 word limited exams to grade. C'mon bro, gtfo the couch, stop watching daytime soaps, and grade.

Dude. I still have zero grades. Don't have my word-limited small section grade back, nor my torts final which was multiple choice plus a 500 word "essay."

But maybe it's for the best.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby Bronck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Bronck wrote:
hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote:Incessantly refreshing for my final grade. Not sure why.


Did the number post yet? Either way


Not yet :|

And this is my SMALL SECTION too. He had 35 word limited exams to grade. C'mon bro, gtfo the couch, stop watching daytime soaps, and grade.

Dude. I still have zero grades. Don't have my word-limited small section grade back, nor my torts final which was multiple choice plus a 500 word "essay."

But maybe it's for the best.


Zero? Damn. I thought for sure every section had at least one grade back now. Should start seeing exam numbers tonight or tomorrow, if not then the profs will officially be late.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 am

Would someone who got an A in torts, Civ/Pro or Leg/Reg be willing to send me copies of their materials? (attack outline, pre-constructed answers, etc.)

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 am

hoos89 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Would someone who got an A in torts, Civ/Pro or Leg/Reg be willing to send me copies of their materials? (attack outline, pre-constructed answers, etc.)


Outlines from other professors probably won't be that helpful. You'd probably be better off asking 2Ls at your school.

I'm actually more interested pre-canned answers, which I can then modify to my professors. Getting outlines from 2Ls is easy enough, but everyone manages to get those and I end up crafting my own anyway.
What I'm really looking for is to see what helped an A student that I don't have or that I'm doing differently

KidStuddi
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:51 am

dingbat wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Would someone who got an A in torts, Civ/Pro or Leg/Reg be willing to send me copies of their materials? (attack outline, pre-constructed answers, etc.)


Outlines from other professors probably won't be that helpful. You'd probably be better off asking 2Ls at your school.

I'm actually more interested pre-canned answers, which I can then modify to my professors. Getting outlines from 2Ls is easy enough, but everyone manages to get those and I end up crafting my own anyway.
What I'm really looking for is to see what helped an A student that I don't have or that I'm doing differently


Have you gotten your actual exams back? Assuming traditional issue spotters, where most people go wrong is in outright missing the significance of facts or by failing to apply the facts to the law sophisticated manner. The similarities between canned answers are generally going to be too black letter law oriented to be helpful on this point, as pretty much everyone will have the BLL down cold. It's the treatment of factual nuance that separates A's from the rest and what that "looks like" tends to vary too much between exams to "see what you missed" by comparing your answer to a model answer written on different facts.

But if you think it'll be helpful, PM me and I can scan my torts and civ pro I and II exams for you (A, A+, A+).
Last edited by KidStuddi on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hoos89
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:09 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby hoos89 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 am

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 am

KidStuddi wrote:
dingbat wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Would someone who got an A in torts, Civ/Pro or Leg/Reg be willing to send me copies of their materials? (attack outline, pre-constructed answers, etc.)


Outlines from other professors probably won't be that helpful. You'd probably be better off asking 2Ls at your school.

I'm actually more interested pre-canned answers, which I can then modify to my professors. Getting outlines from 2Ls is easy enough, but everyone manages to get those and I end up crafting my own anyway.
What I'm really looking for is to see what helped an A student that I don't have or that I'm doing differently


Have you gotten your actual exams back? Assuming traditional issue spotters, where most people go wrong is in outright missing the significance of facts or by failing to apply the facts to the law sophisticated manner. The similarities between canned answers are generally going to be too black letter law oriented to be helpful on this point, as pretty much everyone will have the BLL down cold. It's the treatment of factual nuance that separates A's from the rest and what that "looks like" tends to vary too much between exams to "see what you missed" by comparing your answer to a model answer.

But if you think it'll be helpful, PM me and I can scan my torts and civ pro I and II exams for you (A, A+, A+).


Would you say a better way to gauge your performance after an exam is not to ask "did I get all the issues?" but "did I use all the facts?"

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 am

KidStuddi wrote:
dingbat wrote:
hoos89 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Would someone who got an A in torts, Civ/Pro or Leg/Reg be willing to send me copies of their materials? (attack outline, pre-constructed answers, etc.)


Outlines from other professors probably won't be that helpful. You'd probably be better off asking 2Ls at your school.

I'm actually more interested pre-canned answers, which I can then modify to my professors. Getting outlines from 2Ls is easy enough, but everyone manages to get those and I end up crafting my own anyway.
What I'm really looking for is to see what helped an A student that I don't have or that I'm doing differently


Have you gotten your actual exams back? Assuming traditional issue spotters, where most people go wrong is in outright missing the significance of facts or by failing to apply the facts to the law sophisticated manner. The similarities between canned answers are generally going to be too black letter law oriented to be helpful on this point, as pretty much everyone will have the BLL down cold. It's the treatment of factual nuance that separates A's from the rest and what that "looks like" tends to vary too much between exams to "see what you missed" by comparing your answer to a model answer written on different facts.

But if you think it'll be helpful, PM me and I can scan my torts and civ pro I and II exams for you (A, A+, A+).
Thanks, but exams with model answers are a dime a dozen.
As for the above, I actually know where I went wrong, and will be focusing on it this semester

KidStuddi
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:01 am

At the discretion of the professors. Some returned them marked up with suggestions and corrections. Others just with point annotations and check marks and x's. Some nothing at all.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:02 am

manofjustice wrote:Would you say a better way to gauge your performance after an exam is not to ask "did I get all the issues?" but "did I use all the facts?"

I'm actually fairly confident that neither one is a good answer. Using facts is a euphemism for spotting issues. (the facts frame the issue, the issue uses the facts)
As someone on this board has said before, spotting 3 issues is worth less than spotting one and arguing it well.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 am

manofjustice wrote:Would you say a better way to gauge your performance after an exam is not to ask "did I get all the issues?" but "did I use all the facts?"


With the caveat that even that isn't a surefire thing, I would say absolutely a better gauge.

KidStuddi
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby KidStuddi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 am

manofjustice wrote:Would you say a better way to gauge your performance after an exam is not to ask "did I get all the issues?" but "did I use all the facts?"


Those seem to be pretty similar to me. If you spot all the issues you should be using most of the facts in the analysis, unless it's obviously a red herring (i typically call those out when I see them anyway).

dingbat wrote:I'm actually fairly confident that neither one is a good answer. Using facts is a euphemism for spotting issues. (the facts frame the issue, the issue uses the facts)
As someone on this board has said before, spotting 3 issues is worth less than spotting one and arguing it well.


The point value probably depends on the professor. I've had professors where spotting the issue was worth as much as the argument for resolving it.

frosty6731
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby frosty6731 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:57 am

What does a poor grade in legal writing mean? Does this look especially bad on a transcript? Based on a C+ grade in this class, should I be worried about my ability to write in practice? If I still have a great gpa (3.53, top 10%) should I worry about it at all?
Last edited by frosty6731 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 am

frosty6731 wrote:What does a poor grade in legal writing mean? Does this look especially bad on a transcript? Based on this grade, should I be worried about my ability to write in practice? If I still have a great gpa (3.53, top 10%) should I worry about it at all?

That you weren't able to do what your prof wanted... No... No... No.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, Ithinkican, mornincounselor and 7 guests