PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesealocust

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Ah yes, sorry, I didn't look at grades until after holidays. Torts got medianish (B+, it was mostly my weakest material, but I fest up after test I struggled with that particular test) Prop and Civ Pro got A-, roughly top 25%. I didn't do hard calculations. Got screwed by legal writing, which is worth 2 credits, and got a B. Dragged GPA down to top third. Overall, happy, considering I knew I did bad in torts.

Yeah but you were predicting being #1 in torts. more importantly, this illustrates a larger concept. there's a large swath of people each predicting all sorts of outcomes on mainly bullshit. when grades come back, people who receive higher grades insist their bullshit should be considered an iron-clad theory and people who do poorly invent an alternate bullshit to explain their performance. corollary to this, people who receive higher grades are more likely to insist their grades were due to their performance and people who score lower are more likely to insist the whole thing is arbitrary (which at H, it really is, for most of the class outside a few legit superstars). we know for a fact some professors don't even bother to read the shit.

in any case, the moral of the story is to mostly shut up and wait for your grades.

You. I like you.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:53 pm

Congrats to everyone! Meanwhile, I'll consider myself part of this group...

hyakku wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:No grades is still utter shit.

Why don't you just join me and my rebellion against the school by committing to do the bare minimum until we get grades? Come to the dark side.

I've always tried to find ways to justify my laziness. Feels good.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks everyone :mrgreen:

uvabro wrote:how big is the URM boost? is it like law school admissions in that a bottom third URM can compete with top third non-URM? if so, the above/below median stuff is really kind of misleading, because the median number become a superficial cut of for above-below median.

I have no idea

soj

Postby soj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Way to go, Bronck and Nova.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Ah yes, sorry, I didn't look at grades until after holidays. Torts got medianish (B+, it was mostly my weakest material, but I fest up after test I struggled with that particular test) Prop and Civ Pro got A-, roughly top 25%. I didn't do hard calculations. Got screwed by legal writing, which is worth 2 credits, and got a B. Dragged GPA down to top third. Overall, happy, considering I knew I did bad in torts.

Yeah but you were predicting being #1 in torts. more importantly, this illustrates a larger concept. there's a large swath of people each predicting all sorts of outcomes on mainly bullshit. when grades come back, people who receive higher grades insist their bullshit should be considered an iron-clad theory and people who do poorly invent an alternate bullshit to explain their performance. corollary to this, people who receive higher grades are more likely to insist their grades were due to their performance and people who score lower are more likely to insist the whole thing is arbitrary (which at H, it really is, for most of the class outside a few legit superstars). we know for a fact some professors don't even bother to read the shit.

in any case, the moral of the story is to mostly shut up and wait for your grades.

Was he really?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:

I said I could be competing for a top spot, I never said I was going to be #1. And that was before I took the test. My prediction was because on all the practice tests, I was killing it (and during class, when we discussed practice test, I had gotten all the issues he wanted) trust me, I had almost all of torts down cold. When test came, we had a lot of 402a crap and misrepresentation stuff that I didn't get a chance to practice as much, because it was the last two weeks of class, and therefore my answers were crap on that. I still did good, just not great. And I came here and told the thread I didn't do well after the test anyway.

Oh wait, I remember you now. Yea, I told you not to be so confident until you got grades back. (shaking head.)

But you did well on your memo, right? Got pumped?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:08 pm

this is KILLING me

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm

stillwater wrote:this is KILLING me

This is dingbat

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:41 pm

wow didn't think i would believe it but now i do. got the lowest grade in the class i thought i was the most prepared for and the highest in the class i blew off.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:43 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:Congrats to everyone! Meanwhile, I'll consider myself part of this group...

hyakku wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:No grades is still utter shit.

Why don't you just join me and my rebellion against the school by committing to do the bare minimum until we get grades? Come to the dark side.

I've always tried to find ways to justify my laziness. Feels good.

I mean it was the first day of a couple classes and I barely skimmed my reading. Habits like these could be why I'm praying for median.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:47 pm

As an aside, I've had some talks with different people at a biglaw firm that's quite interested in me and basically said what GPA cutoff I need to meet (and if I do, I'll probably be in)

Let's just say I got to bust my nuts off next semester

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

dingbat wrote:As an aside, I've had some talks with different people at a biglaw firm that's quite interested in me and basically said what GPA cutoff I need to meet (and if I do, I'll probably be in)

That's cool that they were up front with you. And that you have fall grades.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:51 pm

Say you get an A+ at a school which does not give a 4.3, but rather a 4.0

If you were to put in a transfer app would LSAC recalculate your GPA giving a 4.3 for the A+ (like they do with regular law school admissions) - or do they keep it the same?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:52 pm

nucky thompson wrote:Say you get an A+ at a school which does not give a 4.3, but rather a 4.0

If you were to put in a transfer app would LSAC recalculate your GPA giving a 4.3 for the A+ (like they do with regular law school admissions) - or do they keep it the same?

It won't matter since the schools you are applying to will care about your class rank, not your GPA.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:54 pm

bk1 wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:Say you get an A+ at a school which does not give a 4.3, but rather a 4.0

It won't matter since the schools you are applying to will care about your class rank, not your GPA.

good point. say you ED Chicago, but your school does not give class rank until after spring semester - what happens then?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
dingbat wrote:As an aside, I've had some talks with different people at a biglaw firm that's quite interested in me and basically said what GPA cutoff I need to meet (and if I do, I'll probably be in)

That's cool that they were up front with you. And that you have fall grades.

I wish I didn't have my fall grades.

Yeah, it's cool. They aren't supposed to tell, but I asked nicely and signed my emails "this is dingbat"

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:23 pm

i've got one grade left to come in. going to have to work my ass off this semester. which, i don't know how i'm going to do that, since i thought i was doing that last semester. :|

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:32 pm

stillwater wrote:this is KILLING me

No joke. My first grade to post was a B, several days ago, so I've been sitting here sweating ever since.

Shockingly, my second grade, which posted today, was an A+. Now I have no idea what to expect from my third and last grade, but at least I'm not nearly as worried as I was a few hours ago!

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:29 pm

feeling better about my performance. I told myself if I made top 1/2 I wouldn't beat myself up too much. Now just waiting for my last grade to come in.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Still waiting. . . the deadline was today for grades, so I figured that we would see something by now!

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 pm

So... that just happened.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:So... that just happened.

what did

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 pm

grades. grades happened.

skers

Postby skers » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.

There's another semester bro.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:grades. grades happened.

leaping lucifer, no way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”