PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesealocust

Platinum

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by thesealocust » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 am

dingbat wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
dingbat wrote:Only Crim so far - shot myself in the foot
Dreading closed book Property on monday
I'm pulling for you, which is weird, because I'm pretty sure not too long ago I thought you were obnoxious. Then I noticed a santa hat on your avatar and was all "dawwww dingbat!"

What is this I don't even.
During Sandy, I had to miss a class for weather related reasons. That was the class on rape. I guessed it wouldn't be on the exam, and didn't really review. Oops.
I spent the first 20 minutes reading everything I had available trying to catch up. Luckily it was a statutory interpretation question, so I could kind of bullshit my way through, but I'm not exactly confident.
Meh, law school exams are probably way more about bullshitting and guessing than knowing the law anyway at the end of the day. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

[Very similar thing happened to me 1L year - I figured the prof wouldn't ask about rape since it might be a sensitive subject and thus be unfair on a high-pressure exam. That's what you get for trying to play mind games with the prof...]
InGoodFaith wrote:
dingbat wrote: Also, I am obnoxious. But I'm also cute and cuddly.
D'AWWW DINGY.
+1

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:46 am

thesealocust wrote:Meh, law school exams are probably way more about bullshitting and guessing than knowing the law anyway at the end of the day. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Luckily, I don't worry. (and I'm really good at bullshitting)

Judging by the reactions of some of the people afterwards, I'm sure I did fine.
(also, from talking with a few people, I know I probably wasn't worst)

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:46 am

I can't start panicking yet or I'll give myself a heart attack by the time grades come out a century from now. But as of this morning I'm done with finals! Now to turn to the job hunt... :/

wsw15

New

Post by wsw15 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:18 am

Since there seem to be 2Ls and 3Ls offering their thoughts... How accurate are 1L predictions regarding grades for courses (specifically guessing the order of exams from best to worst)? Or does the curve usually lend way to making an A is the Property exam you were most worried about & then being shocked when you do not get the A in Civ Pro you were sure of?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:23 am

wsw15 wrote:Since there seem to be 2Ls and 3Ls offering their thoughts... How accurate are 1L predictions regarding grades for courses (specifically guessing the order of exams from best to worst)? Or does the curve usually lend way to making an A is the Property exam you were most worried about & then being shocked when you do not get the A in Civ Pro you were sure of?
1Ls have absolutely zero chance of predicting their performance, unless they had fuckups so royal they were objectively bad (i.e. forgot to answer a question, slept through the exam, etc.)

The curve usually lends way to everyone going "wtf I got a bunch of random grades with no relation to my efforts of perceived ability" and then giving up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ineptimusprime

Bronze

Post by ineptimusprime » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 pm

Totally not planning on getting anything higher than a C+.

Ks - I spotted the main issues in the first question, spent about 20 min. more than the allotted time on this question, and when I got to the end I realized I had mixed up the parties and my analysis was all right, but from the wrong perspective... grrr... got really flustered at that point and the rest of the exam was crap. estimated grade -- somewhere between D & C+. It's made all the worse by the fact that I got an A on the midterm

Torts - I felt like I only spotted the patently obvious issues in the first section, totally blew it on the multiple choice (I kept second guessing myself), and only did "ok" in the last untimed section. This final was only supposed to run three hours according to the exam schedule, but ended up taking ~6.5 hours. D to C+ range.

Civ Pro - too many damn rules. I realized after I left that I had analyzed joinder of parties correctly, but had forgotten to evaluate the joinder of the new claims coming along with the new parties (res judicata/R18).. I think I did evaluate both the SMJ and PJ consequences of joining the parties, so SMJ should have clued me in that I had forgotten to mention the new claims.. but it didn't. Again, expecting D to C+ range.

LRW - not too confident about this class. I kind of mailed it in on the bluebooking portion of the memo. Expecting a C.

Man, law school sucks.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:35 pm

GOT MY LEGAL MEMO SCORE BACK.

She said it was out of 200. Highest score was a 171 and the lowest was a 96. My score was a 166. Time to bust out the champagne or is there a chance a bunch of people scored between 171 and 166?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:38 pm

noleknight16 wrote:GOT MY LEGAL MEMO SCORE BACK.

She said it was out of 200. Highest score was a 171 and the lowest was a 96. My score was a 166. Time to bust out the champagne or is there a chance a bunch of people scored between 171 and 166?
Sounds like champagne to me! Congrats.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:GOT MY LEGAL MEMO SCORE BACK.

Sounds like champagne to me! Congrats.
Thank you! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Civ Pro - Closed everything, feel good about it though. 3200 words, all of them pretty good. My guess, top 20%.

Prop - Feel great. My worse class, but hit everything hard. 4500 words. I accidentally named a future interest vested remainder subject to open instead of contingent remainder subject to open. But I talked so much about the RAP problem I feel good about it. Also BS a bit on an assignment question for privity of contract. Hoping I got that right. But really, I feel very good about it. Again, top 20%, but based on people literally leaving 30 minutes early in that class, I could see higher.

Torts is tomorrow. I honestly think I can get #1 overall in that class. I got all the material down cold. And I like how his exams are, tons of CoA everywhere. I type fast enough to get 7-8k words overall (I usually read, outline for 20 minutes, then blast away) Plus I just get what he wants and what he is looking for.

My biggest fear is that I feel so good about my tests. I don't want to be let down.
What a dickbag.

I have no fucking clue how I did. I know that I have at least finished all my exams so far, but that's because I focused more on making sure that they got done than squeezing every last thing into the analysis. Let's see if my strategy worked.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Sup bros? Just got done with Crim. 100% sure I got something between an F and an A. Really jealous of those who are done already!
Last edited by BuckinghamB on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
wsw15 wrote:Since there seem to be 2Ls and 3Ls offering their thoughts... How accurate are 1L predictions regarding grades for courses (specifically guessing the order of exams from best to worst)? Or does the curve usually lend way to making an A is the Property exam you were most worried about & then being shocked when you do not get the A in Civ Pro you were sure of?
1Ls have absolutely zero chance of predicting their performance, unless they had fuckups so royal they were objectively bad (i.e. forgot to answer a question, slept through the exam, etc.)

The curve usually lends way to everyone going "wtf I got a bunch of random grades with no relation to my efforts of perceived ability" and then giving up.
The Sea Locust speaks the truth.

I know none of you will listen to me, but save yourself some anxiety and don't bother to check grades until January 2 or so. You might get some before then, but speaking from experience, you won't be able to stop checking once you start. And that is miserable. (I'm a 3L so I'm not checking until at least then, maybe not till later, and that's only because I don't have a jerb yet.)

Good luck!!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I know none of you will listen to me, but save yourself some anxiety and don't bother to check grades until January 2 or so. You might get some before then, but speaking from experience, you won't be able to stop checking once you start. And that is miserable. (I'm a 3L so I'm not checking until at least then, maybe not till later, and that's only because I don't have a jerb yet.)
Checking grades and waiting to check grades is the worst, so I stopped. I have no idea what grades I got in any of my classes 2L or 3L year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:23 pm

LWR grades have all been submitted, and we were supposed to get them after finals were over. Finals are over, and yet we still have not gotten our LWR grades. Saddness.

Based upon the turnaround time for previous graded assignments in Civil Procedure, I don't expect to get those grades back until January.

My Torts professor is off adventuring in some third world country fighting global warming, so I don't expect that grade back until January either.

My Ks professor is always flying around the country for meetings on reshaping the law, so I'm guessing that that will come in January as well.

Of course, despite my above conclusions to the contrary, I will be checking to see if my grades have arrived each day just in case.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
izy223 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Civ Pro - Closed everything, feel good about it though. 3200 words, all of them pretty good. My guess, top 20%.

Prop - Feel great. My worse class, but hit everything hard. 4500 words. I accidentally named a future interest vested remainder subject to open instead of contingent remainder subject to open. But I talked so much about the RAP problem I feel good about it. Also BS a bit on an assignment question for privity of contract. Hoping I got that right. But really, I feel very good about it. Again, top 20%, but based on people literally leaving 30 minutes early in that class, I could see higher.

Torts is tomorrow. I honestly think I can get #1 overall in that class. I got all the material down cold. And I like how his exams are, tons of CoA everywhere. I type fast enough to get 7-8k words overall (I usually read, outline for 20 minutes, then blast away) Plus I just get what he wants and what he is looking for.

My biggest fear is that I feel so good about my tests. I don't want to be let down.
Hahahahahaha this kid cracks me up! Guessing what percent you are in before grades are back? "I knew the material" well unless you are at a TTT, so did most people. No way to actually know how you did at this point. Thanks for the :lol: though
wow way to be a dick, let the kid be happy.
This is TLS, thats not how we do things.
Are you even a 1L?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
This is TLS, thats not how we do things.
Are you even a 1L?
Yeah...

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Holy shit. BearsGrl is back. Still defending your TTT?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I had my first final yesterday, Contracts, and it was weird to say the least. It was nothing like any of his previous practice exams, and everyone who I have talked to has felt the same.

Most likely bombed contracts as I already know I lost a few points.

Have torts on Monday and Criminal Law on Friday.

FML

Dead Parrot

New

Post by Dead Parrot » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Checking in. My finals were over as of Tuesday so now the waiting game begins.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:55 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Holy shit. BearsGrl is back. Still defending your TTT?
Knew it

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:00 am

swimmer11 wrote:I had my first final yesterday, Contracts, and it was weird to say the least. It was nothing like any of his previous practice exams, and everyone who I have talked to has felt the same.

Most likely bombed contracts as I already know I lost a few points.

Have torts on Monday and Criminal Law on Friday.

FML
Had my contracts final yesterday as well. You at a MPV school?

Mine was also not like the practice and dont know if I did well, wasnt feeling good about it after the test... but you never know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lakerinstl

New

Post by lakerinstl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:47 am

Finished my last final yesterday. This wait is gonna feel like waiting for LSAT scores all over again. --ImageRemoved--

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:57 am

thesealocust wrote:

Oh god I love TLS. Quoting this for eternal posterity.

In my years on TLS I think about 70-80% of the adorably over-confident 1Ls I've quoted making posts like this have wound up blowing it, but every now and then you cocksure sombitches are actually right.
You are my absolute favorite :lol:

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:31 pm

thesealocust wrote:

Oh god I love TLS. Quoting this for eternal posterity.

In my years on TLS I think about 70-80% of the adorably over-confident 1Ls I've quoted making posts like this have wound up blowing it, but every now and then you cocksure sombitches are actually right.
I aced my exams next week. A++ for sure and top student of the year, without a doubt.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Checking in...

Just finished

Torts - got thrown a huge curveball... Was doing well on the practice exams but i have no idea how i did my organization was all off. However, my teacher is additive so that might save me because i type fast.

Conlaw - probably the exam i feel the best with. Organization good feel like i got most issues. Also typed a decent amount on a pure issue spotter conlaw test.

K's - exam was a joke. Literally eveything came from this one hornbook that was recommneded. I feel like if I never went to class and read that book over and over until I basically had it memorized would have done better on that exam. Overall feel good about it tho. Multiple choice wasn't too bad.

Civ Pro- My best subject... wasn't bad let if slip away because I got behind on the Erie question and therefore have no idea how I did.

Sorry for the typos don't really care its 1:30 and I'm already drunk. Congrats to everyone thats done the waiting game begins.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”