PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stillwater

Gold

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by stillwater » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 pm

another day, more silence.

one part of my mind, against my better judgment, has decided to boycott doing most of my work this first week.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:25 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I might be freaking out a little hiding under a blanket, with chocolate and Disney at the ready.
FTFM.
Nothing like getting an email from a prof that YOUR GRADE IS COMING.
I haven't even gotten that. I love how the "Y" grade for legal practice isn't even up yet.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:30 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I might be freaking out a little hiding under a blanket, with chocolate and Disney at the ready.
FTFM.
Nothing like getting an email from a prof that YOUR GRADE IS COMING.

I would actually stab a small child (or a moderately sized teenager) just for this email.

Although I do think I know what you're talking about lol, a couple of people in EFGH went nuts on my FB feed. Well at least you'll probably have at least one grade this week.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:44 pm

hyakku wrote:a couple of people in EFGH went nuts on my FB feed.
:shock: I got no such email, and I'm in EFGH. Now I'm a little sad...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Off topic:

Somehow read the thread title as "1L GARLIC THREAD!"

Clicked, became confused, reevaluated, said "Ah-ha!" and decided to let you all know.

A garlic thread would be legit tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:54 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
I'm not in EFGH, so probably a different email.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:55 pm

While I am pissed that someone trolled facebook and said grades are ready when they weren't, I am more focused on being hungry for this:

--ImageRemoved--

Well done prezidentv8

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:59 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
I'm not in EFGH, so probably a different email.
I see. I think I misunderstood.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:While I am pissed that someone trolled facebook and said grades are ready when they weren't, I am more focused on being hungry for this:

--ImageRemoved--

Well done prezidentv8
I'm not in that class, but that was pretty lame.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Just got mine. Three B+s (one in legal writing), an A-, an A. GPA is 3.575, school curves to 3.3. Won't have class rank until next week.

Am I right to feel okay about that?
Last edited by vissidarte27 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Median pwned.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:17 pm

BuckinghamB wrote:
My bad, I might have my sections wrong. Whatever section that had the retiring K prof is the one I think I'm referring to. I didn't really check much since I knew they weren't in my section, and I could be referring to something completely differently. Don't wanna out anyone by accident here but I don't want to have you freaking out either. My bad.

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vissidarte27

Bronze

Post by vissidarte27 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:37 pm

hoos89 wrote:
vissidarte27 wrote:Just got mine. Three B+s (one in legal writing), an A-, an A. GPA is 3.575, school curves to 3.3. Won't have class rank until next week.

Am I right to feel okay about that?
Does your school have previous grade cutoffs (e.g. top 10%, top 25%, top 33%) posted? If so that would probably a better way to evaluate how good you should feel than asking TLS.
Good point. After much searching, I found one and it looks like somewhere between top 20-25%. Woo.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:40 pm

hyakku wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
My bad, I might have my sections wrong. Whatever section that had the retiring K prof is the one I think I'm referring to. I didn't really check much since I knew they weren't in my section, and I could be referring to something completely differently. Don't wanna out anyone by accident here but I don't want to have you freaking out either. My bad.
IJKL, and you're correct.

BuckinghamB

Bronze

Post by BuckinghamB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 pm

hyakku wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote:
No problem!

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 pm

3L here...

Don't stress too much, guys. To some extent law school grades are bullshit and arbitrary. You should definitely analyze your performance to improve next semester, but understand that sometimes a Professor just won't like your analysis when another Professor might have -- at least to the extent that one Prof would give you a B, while the other gives you the dreaded B- and singlehandedly ruins your gpa for a semester.

My theory after analyzing 5 semesters of grades is this: (my school has a B curve)

Generally speaking, the top 5% of the class just gets it and can consistently bang out A grades with the occasional B+.

Outside that small five percent, there's a group of students around the top 10% - 30% who are really solid but will find themselves generally getting good grades i.e. few As, lots of A-s and B+s, but with the random B- for whatever reason.

Then there's the median group who just kind of show up to class, read, but don't really worry about figuring out how to do really well.

Finally, there's the people below median who really just don't give an honest shit.

If you try hard and attempt to understand how to do well on a law school exam, it is likely that you'll fall in that 10%-30% category. It just sucks that employers think there's something magical about the student that squeaked into the top 10% compared to the student who didn't catch any breaks and landed in the top 25%, when in reality there's really not a big difference in the ability of the students.

Just look at it this way: When you graduate, you'll be working at Target or you won't :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:12 pm

*GRADES*:

Grades are due in our office one calendar month after the date of the in-class exam; January 20 for takeaway exams and paper courses. 2L/3L/LLM students - we post your grades as they are received. We will post first-year grades over a three day window, January 23, 24 and 25.

This email (they sent back at the end of November) is the death of me. :lol:

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:59 pm

I really wish Uchi didn't use such a retarded grading scale.

Moriarty

Bronze

Post by Moriarty » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:22 pm

jack duluoz wrote:Just look at it this way: When you graduate, you'll be working at Target or you won't :lol:
Nah, Target is for those at 25% - median. Walmart is for those below median, ITE.

(Kidding. Thanks for the words of encouragement!)

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:I really wish Uchi didn't use such a retarded grading scale.
Um right? Now I get to try and explain to people what the fuck it means. "I got B+'s kinda?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:14 pm

jack duluoz wrote:3L here...

Don't stress too much, guys. To some extent law school grades are bullshit and arbitrary. You should definitely analyze your performance to improve next semester, but understand that sometimes a Professor just won't like your analysis when another Professor might have -- at least to the extent that one Prof would give you a B, while the other gives you the dreaded B- and singlehandedly ruins your gpa for a semester.

My theory after analyzing 5 semesters of grades is this: (my school has a B curve)

Generally speaking, the top 5% of the class just gets it and can consistently bang out A grades with the occasional B+.

Outside that small five percent, there's a group of students around the top 10% - 30% who are really solid but will find themselves generally getting good grades i.e. few As, lots of A-s and B+s, but with the random B- for whatever reason.

Then there's the median group who just kind of show up to class, read, but don't really worry about figuring out how to do really well.

Finally, there's the people below median who really just don't give an honest shit.

If you try hard and attempt to understand how to do well on a law school exam, it is likely that you'll fall in that 10%-30% category. It just sucks that employers think there's something magical about the student that squeaked into the top 10% compared to the student who didn't catch any breaks and landed in the top 25%, when in reality there's really not a big difference in the ability of the students.

Just look at it this way: When you graduate, you'll be working at Target or you won't :lol:
You might want to preface this analysis with the school you go to, because it seems somewhat school specific. The idea of grades boiling down to effort and trying to understand how to do well on a law school exam might be somewhat true, but it certainly does not seem to hold true in full at UT (and I'm sure a ton of other schools).

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Do these numbers seem low or is this similar for other schools?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:28 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Do these numbers seem low or is this similar for other schools?

Yes, but it really depends on the school range. Grade inflation happens a lot more when you move up in the rankings.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:29 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Do these numbers seem low or is this similar for other schools?

Seems pretty low, but rank is still whats gonna matter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”