PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TheZoid

Bronze

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by TheZoid » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Checking in to say I'm embarrassed to go to school with dietcoke. That was truly sad and pathetic. A little humility/respect for your classmates?

jazzhou

New

Post by jazzhou » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 pm

TheZoid wrote:Checking in to say I'm embarrassed to go to school with dietcoke. That was truly sad and pathetic. A little humility/respect for your classmates?
Also go there, though not quite as embarrassed with dietcoke.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:33 pm

emkay625 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I know I fucked it up. Didn't finish last contracts essay, didn't finish first crim essay. (Did them in reverse order......this was a STUPID decision because I didn't get to the most important part of the question weighted the most).

Fuck it all. Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.
you go to a good school with insanely cheap tuition. You'll be fine. Plus your in the higher range from an applicant perspective, so if you think you bombed, I'm sure many are in a similar position (I know, 0L metrics aren't indicative of performance, blah blah blah)
You. I miss you. Why didn't I go to your school again?
you know I ended up at NYU, not NU, right?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 am

thesealocust wrote:
jazzhou wrote:So a lot of people have mentioned how it's nearly impossible to predict how you did based on how you feel after the exam. Is this true even if you've gotten feedback from your professors on your responses to their old exams? I don't feel great about most of my classes, but in at least one my professor was fairly upfront about where I stood relative to the rest of the class. I feel like I killed that exam but I'm still unsure about how to feel.
You can't kill the exam, all you can do is kill everyone else trying to take the same exam as you. How well you answer is irrelevant. Your grade is literally an alphabetical representation of how good your exam is compared to the other exams people took, and nothing else.

Anything your prof said to you prior to you sitting and writing the exam is meaningless, because nothing counted until the moment you put pen to paper or finger to keyboard for the exam.
If that's the case, then we can never tell how well we did.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:00 am

Pretty much. Law school grades are nearly useless intrinsically. If you took the same exam 3 times you might get different grades just based on who else was also taking it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 am

TheZoid wrote:Checking in to say I'm embarrassed to go to school with dietcoke. That was truly sad and pathetic. A little humility/respect for your classmates?
So since I've worked hard and am aware of how I stack up with my fellow classmates, I should feel bad about myself? Not sure if I see the logic in this one.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:26 am

dietcoke0 wrote:
So since I've worked hard and am aware of how I stack up with my fellow classmates, I should feel bad about myself? Not sure if I see the logic in this one.
Man, even though this has been beat to death, I will try to spell it out one more time.... There is no way you actually know how you did. You may think you did well for you, but you have no idea how the other (however many students in your class) did. Its all based on a curve. I walked out of one test feeling like I really got it and another where I was just thinking about how hard it was. Neither of these thoughts have anything to do with how I did... It all depends on my paper and the other guys paper. If everyone in the class walked out going, "man, I killed that test! Definitely going to be in the top 20% on that one" 80 % of them would be wrong. Right now you cant know which group you are in.

Saying you feel good about how it went is one thing, stating the top % you will be in for each is another. Thats all everyone is saying.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:26 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I know I fucked it up. Didn't finish last contracts essay, didn't finish first crim essay. (Did them in reverse order......this was a STUPID decision because I didn't get to the most important part of the question weighted the most).

Fuck it all. Maybe I'll drop out and open my own floral design studio.
you go to a good school with insanely cheap tuition. You'll be fine. Plus your in the higher range from an applicant perspective, so if you think you bombed, I'm sure many are in a similar position (I know, 0L metrics aren't indicative of performance, blah blah blah)
You. I miss you. Why didn't I go to your school again?
you know I ended up at NYU, not NU, right?
Oh I forgot!!!!!!!! That is clearly why I didn't go. NYU LOL'd at my application.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:31 am

Checkin in. Just cleaned up my apartment...recovery from finals weeks. A lot of work was in order...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 am

Halfway done with my exams but checking in. Feeling great about conlaw, so-so for civ pro. So far things going according to plan I guess, since I figured conlaw is my best and civ pro my worst class.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 am

minnbills wrote:Halfway done with my exams but checking in. Feeling great about conlaw, so-so for civ pro. So far things going according to plan I guess, since I figured conlaw is my best and civ pro my worst class.
Civ pro is my worst and I have it monday :( not looking forward to that

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:54 am

Seems to me the most important is your feeling vis-a-vis your midterm. That's the way to calibrate.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:34 am

manofjustice wrote:Seems to me the most important is your feeling vis-a-vis your midterm. That's the way to calibrate.
I think you can get a sense. I'm predicting somewhere in the A range on my conlaw and a B/B+ for Civ Pro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:35 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
minnbills wrote:Halfway done with my exams but checking in. Feeling great about conlaw, so-so for civ pro. So far things going according to plan I guess, since I figured conlaw is my best and civ pro my worst class.
Civ pro is my worst and I have it monday :( not looking forward to that
Fuck that. Rock that shit bro.

Learned Scissorhands

New

Post by Learned Scissorhands » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:43 am

I'm so fucked bros.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:37 am

manofjustice wrote:Seems to me the most important is your feeling vis-a-vis your midterm. That's the way to calibrate.
Sorry. This assumes that none of your classmates adjusted their study/exam writing styles since midterms. It also assumes that everyone had the same kind of test taking day and that the final played to the same strengths and weaknesses of all the exam takers. It may be helpful at the extremes, but really doesn't give you anything useful to go on.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:47 am

TooOld4This wrote:
Sorry. This assumes that none of your classmates adjusted their study/exam writing styles since midterms. It also assumes that everyone had the same kind of test taking day and that the final played to the same strengths and weaknesses of all the exam takers. It may be helpful at the extremes, but really doesn't give you anything useful to go on.
it's also only half the information. I do think there's a slight indication though

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:17 pm

It might be better than nothing, but I know way too many people who aced a midterm only to get median grades 1L year, or bombed the midterm but did quite well 1L year. And most of those people didn't predict the dramatic swing walking out of their finals either.

Of course, there also are people who perform consistently. Knowing enough people who have gone through school and having seen enough of these threads, I just don't think it's possible to meaningfully predict your performance 1L year. Of course, even a broken clock is right twice a day so some people who think they bombed will and some who think they rocked it will - it's not like there's a rule where you always do the opposite of how you expect.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:25 pm

thesealocust wrote:It might be better than nothing, but I know way too many people who aced a midterm only to get median grades 1L year, or bombed the midterm but did quite well 1L year. And most of those people didn't predict the dramatic swing walking out of their finals either.

Of course, there also are people who perform consistently. Knowing enough people who have gone through school and having seen enough of these threads, I just don't think it's possible to meaningfully predict your performance 1L year. Of course, even a broken clock is right twice a day so some people who think they bombed will and some who think they rocked it will - it's not like there's a rule where you always do the opposite of how you expect.
I expect to be solidly middle ground

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:29 am

dietcoke0 wrote:
No, you should feel bad about yourself for shamelessly (not humble) bragging about your performance, predicting a CALI award for yourself and overall top of the class performance. You do understand people are generally put off by such arrogance right?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 am

TheZoid wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:
No, you should feel bad about yourself for shamelessly (not humble) bragging about your performance, predicting a CALI award for yourself and overall top of the class performance. You do understand people are generally put off by such arrogance right?
You expect a law student to understand how other people feel?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:48 am

Haha fair point dude.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Last I'll say on the matter, but I wasn't predicting a Cali award, I was predicting to compete for one before the test. Be good to know I did not do nearly as well as I thought I would on my torts test. However, I was saying based on my performance on my prof's other tests, which I did wonderfully on, the actual test hit areas I was not as comfortable with.

All I said was I could be competing for a top grade. I loved the class, and worked my ass off in it, as well as with other classes. When others were asking me to go out, I stayed home to ensure I was caught up. I worked hard throughout the semester, but I was not super competitive. In all my classes, I shared notes, helped others out with areas they were having trouble with, did what I could for karma and good will. But I knew based on some of the questions I got that I was in good shape.

And the first two tests, which weren't my stronger classes, I hit everything, got down a lot of good stuff, and based on convos others were having after the finals, hit things a lot of people missed as well as not missing things, or confusing things that I got straight.

If you noticed on my original post, I said I was worried about how good I felt, because I was expecting to feel about as good as I do about my torts test.

That said, I say there is nothing wrong in feeling confident. If I'm wrong, then good for you, you can move up on the curve. If I'm right, then its just my predictions were just accurate.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:07 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Last I'll say on the matter, but I wasn't predicting a Cali award, I was predicting to compete for one before the test. Be good to know I did not do nearly as well as I thought I would on my torts test. However, I was saying based on my performance on my prof's other tests, which I did wonderfully on, the actual test hit areas I was not as comfortable with.

All I said was I could be competing for a top grade. I loved the class, and worked my ass off in it, as well as with other classes. When others were asking me to go out, I stayed home to ensure I was caught up. I worked hard throughout the semester, but I was not super competitive. In all my classes, I shared notes, helped others out with areas they were having trouble with, did what I could for karma and good will. But I knew based on some of the questions I got that I was in good shape.

And the first two tests, which weren't my stronger classes, I hit everything, got down a lot of good stuff, and based on convos others were having after the finals, hit things a lot of people missed as well as not missing things, or confusing things that I got straight.

If you noticed on my original post, I said I was worried about how good I felt, because I was expecting to feel about as good as I do about my torts test.

That said, I say there is nothing wrong in feeling confident. If I'm wrong, then good for you, you can move up on the curve. If I'm right, then its just my predictions were just accurate.
QFP for when the medianpwnage happens.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Confidence is all well and good, but hopefully you realize there are a good deal of wustlers on tls, and it just comes off as brash and disrespectful to your classmates to be throwing around predictions about your class rank, etc. especially as a 1l with no idea how your grades will turn out or line up with your expectations. I hate to root against you, but you certainly seem deserving of a slice of humble pie.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”