PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
minnbills

Gold

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by minnbills » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 am

UnamSanctam wrote:No grades is still utter shit.
I wish I would never get them. They should start coming in for me tomorrow morning. I don't want them.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:47 am

polkij333 wrote:
MAF & IR8AF

TLSwag

Bronze

Post by TLSwag » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:46 am

uvabro wrote:
SportsFan wrote:This wait is killing me. Last few days I've really been second guessing my exam answers a lot, wondering if I even answered the questions correctly. Ugh.
try reading them in an unsober state. real confidence booster. i'm starting to realize it's more like fantasy football than real nfl talent level anyway. just about the system, and not your answer. wes welker would be law review, and larry fitzgerald would be unemployed.
epic analogy... makes me feel better as I anxiously await the release of my grades sometime in the next 12 or so hours.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:55 am

TLSwag wrote:
uvabro wrote:
SportsFan wrote:This wait is killing me. Last few days I've really been second guessing my exam answers a lot, wondering if I even answered the questions correctly. Ugh.
try reading them in an unsober state. real confidence booster. i'm starting to realize it's more like fantasy football than real nfl talent level anyway. just about the system, and not your answer. wes welker would be law review, and larry fitzgerald would be unemployed.
epic analogy... makes me feel better as I anxiously await the release of my grades sometime in the next 12 or so hours.
So if I am Brandon Lloyd, what does that mean for me?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:16 am

Blessedassurance wrote:
2014 wrote:I would much prefer a horse race to word limited tests. Horse races place a premium on coming up with coherent arguments on the fly and getting them on paper in a readable manner.

Word limited tests, especially severely word limited ones, feel somewhat more arbitrary since it seems like necessarily many of the tests will come out looking roughly the same and yet the curve still must be doled out.

I see the pros and cons of each, I just would prefer the in class horse races personally. More variables in play means greater potential to differentiate yourself.
you're simply indicating a preference due to what you believe you have a competitive advantage in. if you were a slow typist, you'd prefer exams with word limits.
I'm not a particularly fast typist and I think severe word limits are bullshit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:17 am

I seriously hate torts. I made the mistake and chekced grades after going out for the night. That class is such a damn crapshoot

nmg5211

New

Post by nmg5211 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:54 am

...not a single grade until the 24th. Can't play this game much longer.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:19 am

buckythebadger wrote:I seriously hate torts. I made the mistake and chekced grades after going out for the night. That class is such a damn crapshoot
Eh, sounds like you'll be okay bro

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:31 am

Why don't you just join me and my rebellion against the school by committing to do the bare minimum until we get grades? Come to the dark side.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:37 am

No grades here, either.

Rumor has it that today or tomorrow will be the day.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Civ Pro - Closed everything, feel good about it though. 3200 words, all of them pretty good. My guess, top 20%.

Prop - Feel great. My worse class, but hit everything hard. 4500 words. I accidentally named a future interest vested remainder subject to open instead of contingent remainder subject to open. But I talked so much about the RAP problem I feel good about it. Also BS a bit on an assignment question for privity of contract. Hoping I got that right. But really, I feel very good about it. Again, top 20%, but based on people literally leaving 30 minutes early in that class, I could see higher.

Torts is tomorrow. I honestly think I can get #1 overall in that class. I got all the material down cold. And I like how his exams are, tons of CoA everywhere. I type fast enough to get 7-8k words overall (I usually read, outline for 20 minutes, then blast away) Plus I just get what he wants and what he is looking for.
dietcoke0 wrote:Fair enough, but I judged myself all throughout the semester to see where I am at. I'll gladly pass along my predictions and results once I get actual grades back.
*crickets*

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 pm

OK, grades are supposed to be out "mid morning" :shock:

ISNT THAT NOW?!

REFRESH REFRESH REFRESH

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Civ Pro - Closed everything, feel good about it though. 3200 words, all of them pretty good. My guess, top 20%.

Prop - Feel great. My worse class, but hit everything hard. 4500 words. I accidentally named a future interest vested remainder subject to open instead of contingent remainder subject to open. But I talked so much about the RAP problem I feel good about it. Also BS a bit on an assignment question for privity of contract. Hoping I got that right. But really, I feel very good about it. Again, top 20%, but based on people literally leaving 30 minutes early in that class, I could see higher.

Torts is tomorrow. I honestly think I can get #1 overall in that class. I got all the material down cold. And I like how his exams are, tons of CoA everywhere. I type fast enough to get 7-8k words overall (I usually read, outline for 20 minutes, then blast away) Plus I just get what he wants and what he is looking for.
dietcoke0 wrote:Fair enough, but I judged myself all throughout the semester to see where I am at. I'll gladly pass along my predictions and results once I get actual grades back.
*crickets*
:lol:

Probably has grades back already, since he goes to the same school as Birdnals and others who have posted ITT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:18 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Jsa725 wrote:just found out that I am a 1/2 a point from an A in civpro... emailed the professor to review the exam with me... hopefully i can lawlyer out 1/2 a point somewhere on my exam :shock: totally nervous...wish me luck
GL

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:

*crickets*
Ah yes, sorry, I didn't look at grades until after holidays. Torts got medianish (B+, it was mostly my weakest material, but I fest up after test I struggled with that particular test) Prop and Civ Pro got A-, roughly top 25%. I didn't do hard calculations. Got screwed by legal writing, which is worth 2 credits, and got a B. Dragged GPA down to top third. Overall, happy, considering I knew I did bad in torts.

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:33 pm

so wait, is it possible to talk a teacher into giving you a better grade? i thought once grades were in, that was it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otnemem

Bronze

Post by otnemem » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:40 pm

I'd try to by tactful with the prof. I've never heard of a professor changing a grade after it's in, but I've heard of professors volunteering to make phone calls to potential employers down the road, saying something to the effect of "this student is fantastic, should have gotten an A in my class but I just ran out of space because of the curve."

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Ah yes, sorry, I didn't look at grades until after holidays. Torts got medianish (B+, it was mostly my weakest material, but I fest up after test I struggled with that particular test) Prop and Civ Pro got A-, roughly top 25%. I didn't do hard calculations. Got screwed by legal writing, which is worth 2 credits, and got a B. Dragged GPA down to top third. Overall, happy, considering I knew I did bad in torts.
Yeah but you were predicting being #1 in torts. more importantly, this illustrates a larger concept. there's a large swath of people each predicting all sorts of outcomes on mainly bullshit. when grades come back, people who receive higher grades insist their bullshit should be considered an iron-clad theory and people who do poorly invent an alternate bullshit to explain their performance. corollary to this, people who receive higher grades are more likely to insist their grades were due to their performance and people who score lower are more likely to insist the whole thing is arbitrary (which at H, it really is, for most of the class outside a few legit superstars). we know for a fact some professors don't even bother to read the shit.

in any case, the moral of the story is to mostly shut up and wait for your grades.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Harsh, bro. He seemed humbled enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Nova wrote:OK, grades are supposed to be out "mid morning" :shock:

ISNT THAT NOW?!

REFRESH REFRESH REFRESH
Got mine, meh. Fuck.

hyakku

Silver

Post by hyakku » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:59 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Harsh, bro. He seemed humbled enough.
Yea. On top of that, it's not like he was off by that much. He was right about 2/3 classes. Seems kind of unnecessary and pointless to try to call him out on being wrong about one class, especially Torts, where it's possible that you write an A answer and that everyone else wrote similar quality answers due to its simplicity.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Ah yes, sorry, I didn't look at grades until after holidays. Torts got medianish (B+, it was mostly my weakest material, but I fest up after test I struggled with that particular test) Prop and Civ Pro got A-, roughly top 25%. I didn't do hard calculations. Got screwed by legal writing, which is worth 2 credits, and got a B. Dragged GPA down to top third. Overall, happy, considering I knew I did bad in torts.
Yeah but you were predicting being #1 in torts. more importantly, this illustrates a larger concept. there's a large swath of people each predicting all sorts of outcomes on mainly bullshit. when grades come back, people who receive higher grades insist their bullshit should be considered an iron-clad theory and people who do poorly invent an alternate bullshit to explain their performance. corollary to this, people who receive higher grades are more likely to insist their grades were due to their performance and people who score lower are more likely to insist the whole thing is arbitrary (which at H, it really is, for most of the class outside a few legit superstars). we know for a fact some professors don't even bother to read the shit.

in any case, the moral of the story is to mostly shut up and wait for your grades.
this is untrue. if i get strong grades, i will be the first to admit my exams were pure bullshit. i've reread them both sober and unsober and they are bullshit. in my limited experience the people who think their shit is gospel tend to not do as well. i'd imagine it's linked to counterargument making ability.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:03 pm

Ummmm, I JUST GOT AN A IN CIV PRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”