PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stevoman

Bronze

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by Stevoman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:21 pm

Well I hit a home run in my doctrinal classes, but ended up with a B in legal writing.

Still have a killer GPA, but I'm really upset about the B. I poured weeks into my graded memo, and thought for sure I did well on it. People I know who wrote it the day before only made a slightly lower grade. Depressing after all the work I put in. :(

hoos89

Gold

Post by hoos89 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:36 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stevoman

Bronze

Post by Stevoman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:50 pm

hoos89 wrote:Focus on the good, man. There are probably people who put it an absurd amount of work on the doctrinal classes that you beat; plus isn't your writing class worth fewer credits?
3 credit hours for both semesters.

Good point on the other classes though. I studied for CivPro the day before and day of, and barely prepped for class during the semester. :lol:

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:18 pm

hoos89 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
Bronck wrote:Not sure what I was thinking, thinking that the registrar would be doing work today.
It's alright bro. I have to compulsively check on weekends anyway.
This just reminds me of status checker updating all over again.
Oh god, I had completely forgotten about that

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:46 am

odoylerulez wrote:Grades are out here... and I think one of my grades is wrong. Going through the appeal process now. Probably just some sort of mix-up..

It's so far off that it's patently obvious that something went wrong. This messed-up class was arguably my strongest subject, and somehow it ended up being my worst grade on the report by two entire letter grades.

Other than that, everything seems right. Once this gets fixed, I could be anywhere from top 20% to top 10%.

Median pwned in Civil Procedure and Legal Writing, good grades in Contracts and CrimLaw. Torts is still up in the air.
wow you seem like a douche i may actually be rooting against you. you have inspired me. congrats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:40 am

Got an exam number for my last grade yesterday night. Time to get nervous again.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:57 am

Stevoman wrote:
hoos89 wrote:Focus on the good, man. There are probably people who put it an absurd amount of work on the doctrinal classes that you beat; plus isn't your writing class worth fewer credits?
3 credit hours for both semesters.

Good point on the other classes though. I studied for CivPro the day before and day of, and barely prepped for class during the semester. :lol:
So since it's a single class, if you do a bit better, does the B disappear?

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm

uvabro wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:Grades are out here... and I think one of my grades is wrong. Going through the appeal process now. Probably just some sort of mix-up..

It's so far off that it's patently obvious that something went wrong. This messed-up class was arguably my strongest subject, and somehow it ended up being my worst grade on the report by two entire letter grades.

Other than that, everything seems right. Once this gets fixed, I could be anywhere from top 20% to top 10%.

Median pwned in Civil Procedure and Legal Writing, good grades in Contracts and CrimLaw. Torts is still up in the air.
wow you seem like a douche i may actually be rooting against you. you have inspired me. congrats.
Thanks for your opinion, have a nice day.

If you saw my grades and my GPA if this grade stands, you would get it. The only reason I'm not posting everything is because I'm sure I go to a school that has a few other people that like to troll this board. I don't want people at my school knowing my grades, which may be why I'm vaguely venting here, haha

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:29 pm

shumpshump wrote:Got an exam number for my last grade yesterday night. Time to get nervous again.
First class at 1040 IIRC. Hoping to have that grade in before then on Tues

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:59 pm

When people talk about the number of words in an exam, is that the total for the whole exam or the word count for the main issue spotter?

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:01 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
uvabro wrote:

If you saw my grades and my GPA if this grade stands, you would get it. The only reason I'm not posting everything is because I'm sure I go to a school that has a few other people that like to troll this board. I don't want people at my school knowing my grades, which may be why I'm vaguely venting here, haha
I don't think you understand what everyone is saying. We get it. You got a D or F in Torts and A's in other classes. Since you understood Torts, you are assuming the bad grade MUST be a mistake. We are saying that it is possible to get good grades and still get fucked in a class.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:15 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:
uvabro wrote:

I don't think you understand what everyone is saying. We get it. You got a D or F in Torts and A's in other classes. Since you understood Torts, you are assuming the bad grade MUST be a mistake. We are saying that it is possible to get good grades and still get fucked in a class.
If the grade would have been in the C range, I would see your point.. even though I would likely still appeal a C to be on the safe side. D/F grades in this class are reserved for the rare type of students that don't write anything on more than one question (from being so unprepared) or students that miss almost every single issue across the board.

My answers to the Torts questions were the strongest answers I gave on any final exam. I was a little shaky on every other subject, but I had Torts down cold. Even if I missed a couple minor issues, I should have still been somewhere around median, which is a B or B+..

This exam was also of average difficulty compared to the other finals. It wasn't an easy final by any means. Easy finals can be a crapshoot for obvious reasons, but this exam didn't really fit into that category.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:26 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
If the grade would have been in the C range, I would see your point.. even though I would likely still appeal a C to be on the safe side. D/F grades in this class are reserved for the rare type of students that don't write anything on more than one question (from being so unprepared) or students that miss almost every single issue across the board.

My answers to the Torts questions were the strongest answers I gave on any final exam. I was a little shaky on every other subject, but I had Torts down cold. Even if I missed a couple minor issues, I should have still been somewhere around median, which is a B or B+..

This exam was also of average difficulty compared to the other finals. It wasn't an easy final by any means. Easy finals can be a crapshoot for obvious reasons, but this exam didn't really fit into that category.
I think what is making everyone give you shit is that you are so sure. How often do you think professors make a huge mistake? Furthermore, how often do you think grades are changed after a supposed mistake? Even if you were top of your class in every class but bottom in one, it is incredibly presumptuous to just say there was an obvious mistake and claim that the grade will be rectified.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:33 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:

I think what is making everyone give you shit is that you are so sure. How often do you think professors make a huge mistake? Furthermore, how often do you think grades are changed after a supposed mistake? Even if you were top of your class in every class but bottom in one, it is incredibly presumptuous to just say there was an obvious mistake and claim that the grade will be rectified.
Well, if the mistake was on the school's end, I'm sure the grade will HAVE to be changed.

At least one student got the wrong grade for one of our midterms in a different class, and I guess a few grades got messed up last year in this same class. It's not a real stretch to say that something could have gone wrong again. All it takes is for one student to use the wrong ID number, some sort of ExamSoft error, or a typo when grades are put in to the system.

The fact that my grade is so significantly low makes it obvious to me that something went wrong. It's not presumptuous to claim that my quality of work was significantly superior to that which corresponds to the grade on my transcript.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:35 pm

odoylerulez wrote:It's not presumptuous to claim that my quality of work was significantly superior to that which corresponds to the grade on my transcript.
Actually, it is.

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Brah - you are setting yourself up for complete emotional devastation. Listen to the other posters. It is possible there was a mistake - but the presumption at this point should be "I really fucked that exam up - what can I learn from it" -- as opposed to "clear mistake. it was my best exam and I was most prepared, therefore the professor is just wrong"

If the prof never gives a D or F, and he did not actually intend to give you a D or F, wouldn't he notice the mistake??

Its not like you should have had an A, but due to a clerical error you got a B. In such a case the professors grade distribution chart would just have one less A, and one extra B.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:37 pm

nucky thompson wrote:Brah - you are setting yourself up for complete emotional devastation. Listen to the other posters. It is possible there was a mistake - but the presumption at this point should be "I really fucked that exam up - what can I learn from it" -- as opposed to "clear mistake. it was my best exam and I was most prepared, therefore the professor is just wrong"

If the prof never gives a D or F, and he did not actually intend to give you a D or F, wouldn't he notice the mistake??

Its not like you should have had an A, but due to a clerical error you got a B. In such a case the professors grade distribution chart would just have one less A, and one extra B.
You don't understand how good his exam was.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:40 pm

odoylerulez wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:
odoylerulez wrote:

Well, if the mistake was on the school's end, I'm sure the grade will HAVE to be changed.

At least one student got the wrong grade for one of our midterms in a different class, and I guess a few grades got messed up last year in this same class. It's not a real stretch to say that something could have gone wrong again. All it takes is for one student to use the wrong ID number, some sort of ExamSoft error, or a typo when grades are put in to the system.

The fact that my grade is so significantly low makes it obvious to me that something went wrong. It's not presumptuous to claim that my quality of work was significantly superior to that which corresponds to the grade on my transcript.
I'm not saying there wasn't a mistake or that you didn't do well. I hope you did. I am just trying to explain why you might be setting yourself up for heartbreak.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:41 pm

you wouldn't happen to be able to post your exam answers, would you odoylerulez?

nucky thompson

Bronze

Post by nucky thompson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:42 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:
nucky thompson wrote:Brah - you are setting yourself up for complete emotional devastation. Listen to the other posters. It is possible there was a mistake - but the presumption at this point should be "I really fucked that exam up - what can I learn from it" -- as opposed to "clear mistake. it was my best exam and I was most prepared, therefore the professor is just wrong"

Boggles my mind how some people, at this age, are still plagued with such severe special-snowflake syndrome

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:47 pm

mephistopheles wrote:you wouldn't happen to be able to post your exam answers, would you odoylerulez?
Unfortunately, I cannot. My answer files seem to have an extension that can only be opened by an ExamSoft administrator.

I tried to open those files shortly after receiving my grades. I wanted to see if my answers got cut off or there was some sort of upload problem, but I'm not sure there's a way to figure that out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:49 pm

nucky thompson wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:

Boggles my mind how some people, at this age, are still plagued with such severe special-snowflake syndrome
Missing the point entirely.

This was not an exam that deserved a grade of under a C-. Plain and simple. Hopefully this will be cleared up on Tuesday. I'm not saying that I'm so special that I absolutely got an A. That's what some of you seem to be implying.

For all I know, I could have missed a couple of minor things that could knock me down to around median.

This has nothing to do with "special snowflake syndrome." It has to do with getting the grade that I worked my ass off for and rightfully deserved.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:50 pm

odoylerulez wrote:This was not an exam that deserved a grade of under a C-. Plain and simple.
Don't you think the professor is in the best position to decide this?

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Was there maybe some instruction you missed (word/page limit, limitation on issues to discuss)? I have heard of this royally screwing over an otherwise excellent exam.

odoylerulez

Bronze

Post by odoylerulez » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Gorki wrote:Was there maybe some instruction you missed (word/page limit, limitation on issues to discuss)? I have heard of this royally screwing over an otherwise excellent exam.
There were no limits on this exam other than the 5 hour time limit. I made sure to double-check that too. The policy of the professors that do have word limits here is merely to stop reading once they hit the maximum allowable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”