PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
otnemem

Bronze

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by otnemem » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Hmm, at least median at CLS seems to be in solid shape.
Yeah, I wouldn't sweat a B+ at all. Besides, its only one grade. The course showing an exam number for me is the exam I thought I bombed, so I'd be pretty ecstatic with a B+, although I'm starting to think it won't be happening today.

UVAIce

Bronze

Post by UVAIce » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:53 pm

hyakku wrote:
BuckinghamB wrote: I asked in the Ask a Law Student forum, and apparently they usually come out before the deadline. I'm sure it depends on the prof, though. I remember reading somewhere on the school website/ITT that it can take up to a couple weeks after the grading deadline for the grades to be posted, which would be Feb. That would suck.
I think it would be worse if we got our grades in some type of piecemeal fashion like this. Don't know if I'd flip a shit more if I got one great grade and two unknowns or started off medianpwned and got higher. Plus without all three of the major ones we still can't do much regarding jerbs. Hoping all of them just come through at once whenever they do.
I have one great grade and I daily dream about rounding out my transcript with B-'s. I would be all for just getting them all on one day.

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 pm

TheZoid wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
TheZoid wrote: Nice job bro. Are you using the new grading system? I love how 88 and 89 are now A-, and 95+ is A+, gotta love grade inflation.
:lol: Yup, 98, 94, and 89 respectively. Gotta love being able to claim straight A's with an 89. Also helps for ranking that I was in a section with profs that gave out a wide ranges of grades. I know in some sections the top grade in multiple classes was a 94. That would suck to have done everything right and get fucked like that.
Haha yea, for sure. I'm at A+, A- and waiting on torts. I'm at the lower end of the ranges tho, so not quite as high of a GPA as yours. It's hard to complain about it, but I got the second highest grade in con law for a 95. Thanks wash u for making that an A+ but it sucks to nearly Cali a class for a 95. Loved magarian, but damn brah bump up that distribution. Either way, great job and congrats on the success.
Goldwasser?
I am almost dying waiting for torts here... Do you have any idea of when we are supposed to get it back? I keep checking webstac... :(
Got a 90 in Contracts and second highest in property with a 94 and second highest in LP with a 93. So A-, A, A. I would have loved the Cali too. But still, I am extremely happy with those grades.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Unagi wrote:
TheZoid wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
TheZoid wrote: Nice job bro. Are you using the new grading system? I love how 88 and 89 are now A-, and 95+ is A+, gotta love grade inflation.
:lol: Yup, 98, 94, and 89 respectively. Gotta love being able to claim straight A's with an 89. Also helps for ranking that I was in a section with profs that gave out a wide ranges of grades. I know in some sections the top grade in multiple classes was a 94. That would suck to have done everything right and get fucked like that.
Haha yea, for sure. I'm at A+, A- and waiting on torts. I'm at the lower end of the ranges tho, so not quite as high of a GPA as yours. It's hard to complain about it, but I got the second highest grade in con law for a 95. Thanks wash u for making that an A+ but it sucks to nearly Cali a class for a 95. Loved magarian, but damn brah bump up that distribution. Either way, great job and congrats on the success.
Goldwasser?
I am almost dying waiting for torts here... Do you have any idea of when we are supposed to get it back? I keep checking webstac... :(
Got a 90 in Contracts and second highest in property with a 94 and second highest in LP with a 93. So A-, A, A. I would have loved the Cali too. But still, I am extremely happy with those grades.
Damn guys! what schools are we talking about here.... Those are crazy good grades

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Unagi wrote:
TheZoid wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
Goldwasser?
just curious, how do you know where your grades fall relative to your classmates (like 2nd best in Property, etc.)?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Damn guys! what schools are we talking about here.... Those are crazy good grades

WUSTL

Unagi

Bronze

Post by Unagi » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 pm

stillwater wrote: just curious, how do you know where your grades fall relative to your classmates (like 2nd best in Property, etc.)?
http://law.wustl.edu/registrar/pages.aspx?id=9570

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:49 pm

Unagi wrote:
stillwater wrote: just curious, how do you know where your grades fall relative to your classmates (like 2nd best in Property, etc.)?
That's an awesome system. You guys are really fortunate to get that info.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

shumpshump wrote:
Unagi wrote:
I don't understand why all schools can't be like this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Domiii

New

Post by Domiii » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Is it normal for schools to have all grades out this quickly? I'm still waiting on 2 more.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:47 pm

Domiii wrote:Is it normal for schools to have all grades out this quickly? I'm still waiting on 2 more.
I don't have any and my first final was almost a month ago so...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 pm

I don't have one and my first final was more than a month ago. Blows

buckythebadger

Bronze

Post by buckythebadger » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Are any of you putting on your resume that you were the top of your class for a course? My school doesn't do CALI, but my Contracts prof emailed me that I was the top of my class. I was thinking of putting it under an honors section. TLS seems to have mixed reviews about this. Thoughts?

Also, this was not an attempt at a subtle brag. I would have started my own thread if I was looking for reassurance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:19 am

buckythebadger wrote:Are any of you putting on your resume that you were the top of your class for a course? My school doesn't do CALI, but my Contracts prof emailed me that I was the top of my class. I was thinking of putting it under an honors section. TLS seems to have mixed reviews about this. Thoughts?

Also, this was not an attempt at a subtle brag. I would have started my own thread if I was looking for reassurance.
I also wouldn't mind advice on this. Feels douchey, but how else would an employer know?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
buckythebadger wrote:Are any of you putting on your resume that you were the top of your class for a course? My school doesn't do CALI, but my Contracts prof emailed me that I was the top of my class. I was thinking of putting it under an honors section. TLS seems to have mixed reviews about this. Thoughts?

I also wouldn't mind advice on this. Feels douchey, but how else would an employer know?
I don't see anything wrong with that, no different than saying you got a CALI, but if you got an A+ for the class the grade alone should suffice.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:30 am

Ask your career services if they have advice for how to word it, I would definitely put it on your resume. A firm that thinks you look pretentious would probably have overlooked your resume in the stack anyway, I see very little to lose.

Domiii

New

Post by Domiii » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 am

2014 wrote:Ask your career services if they have advice for how to word it, I would definitely put it on your resume. A firm that thinks you look pretentious would probably have overlooked your resume in the stack anyway, I see very little to lose.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:50 am

WOOOOOOOOOO I GOT AN A IN MY 1 CREDIT LEGAL RESEARCH CLASS!!!!! I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU TLS!!!!!!!!!!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 am

manofjustice wrote:
shumpshump wrote:
Unagi wrote:
I don't understand why all schools can't be like this.
I think the opposite - how many people look at it and go "I was just one point below X grade", or, "crap, I'm that close to bottom?", or "I was so close". Considering law students have a tendency to overanalyze everything to death, I feel this just adds more fuel to the fire

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:53 am

dingbat wrote: I think the opposite - how many people look at it and go "I was just one point below X grade", or, "crap, I'm that close to bottom?", or "I was so close". Considering law students have a tendency to overanalyze everything to death, I feel this just adds more fuel to the fire
I get what you are saying, but on the other hand the grades are what they are and in theory are what they earned. I think the value of them being transparent and helping students be more accurate when evaluating their grades outweighs the value of coddling 23+ year olds in professional school.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 am

2014 wrote:
dingbat wrote: I think the opposite - how many people look at it and go "I was just one point below X grade", or, "crap, I'm that close to bottom?", or "I was so close". Considering law students have a tendency to overanalyze everything to death, I feel this just adds more fuel to the fire
I get what you are saying, but on the other hand the grades are what they are and in theory are what they earned. I think the value of them being transparent and helping students be more accurate when evaluating their grades outweighs the value of coddling 23+ year olds in professional school.
+1. Transparency is important especially in law school with the market what it is. You don't need to baby what should be men and women.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:WOOOOOOOOOO I GOT AN A IN MY 1 CREDIT LEGAL RESEARCH CLASS!!!!! I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU TLS!!!!!!!!!!
:|

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:57 am

2014 wrote:
I'd be more on board with this if law school grading wasn't so notoriously capricious. For extremes (really high or really low grades) I guess it could serve as another emphasis on either really getting the material or really not getting the material, but at either end of the curve, you pretty much know you struck out or hit a home run anyways. I don't know how useful it really is to have neurotic law students overthinking which part of the middle they're in.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 am

indigomachine wrote:
2014 wrote:
I'd be more on board with this if law school grading wasn't so notoriously capricious. For extremes (really high or really low grades) I guess it could serve as another emphasis on either really getting the material or really not getting the material, but at either end of the curve, you pretty much know you struck out or hit a home run anyways. I don't know how useful it really is to have neurotic law students overthinking which part of the middle they're in.
I had no idea I hit a home run until I saw the actual grade. See my earlier posts here and in the exam prep thread where I'm freaking out. I almost had a heart attack when I opened the grade website. I still think my exams were nothing special.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
indigomachine wrote:
2014 wrote:
I had no idea I hit a home run until I saw the actual grade. See my earlier posts here and in the exam prep thread where I'm freaking out. I almost had a heart attack when I opened the grade website. I still think my exams were nothing special.
Lol, I'm still preemptively jelly.

I meant moreso if you get an A+/A or B-/C range on an exam, there's no mystery in evaluating the relative value of that grade for performance (not whether you know before you get the exam back how you did).

"A+? Is that good?" said no one, seriously, ever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”