PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012 Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Blumpbeef

Gold

Re: PANIC!! 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread - 2012

Post by Blumpbeef » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:35 pm

catholicgirl wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Is alcohol really the answer?
Now that I'm a law student, I fully understand that alcohol is in fact the best solution to any life problem.
I was thinking if maybe something a little stronger was appropriate.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
catholicgirl wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Is alcohol really the answer?
Now that I'm a law student, I fully understand that alcohol is in fact the best solution to any life problem.
I was thinking if maybe something a little stronger was appropriate.
usually i pass my time with crystal meth

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 pm

Waiting on one more grade. A student in my class approached the professor on an unrelated subject and the topic of grading came up. The professor admitted that the entire class did not do well and she had to regrade all of the exams on a new curve.

Anyone on TLS have an experience like this? Additionally, if you had problems with your grade did you find recourse for a grade appeal based upon the professors statement? Feeling kind of nervous after hearing that the whole class has to be regraded with a new curve. I guess the exam was written in a way such that the entire class saw different issues on certain essays than what the professor wanted us to focus on.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:07 pm

z0rk wrote:Waiting on one more grade. A student in my class approached the professor on an unrelated subject and the topic of grading came up. The professor admitted that the entire class did not do well and she had to regrade all of the exams on a new curve.

Anyone on TLS have an experience like this? Additionally, if you had problems with your grade did you find recourse for a grade appeal based upon the professors statement? Feeling kind of nervous after hearing that the whole class has to be regraded with a new curve. I guess the exam was written in a way such that the entire class saw different issues on certain essays than what the professor wanted us to focus on.
Why couldn't he just recurve without regrading

What class? School? How did you feel about the test walking out?

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 pm

z0rk wrote:Waiting on one more grade. A student in my class approached the professor on an unrelated subject and the topic of grading came up. The professor admitted that the entire class did not do well and she had to regrade all of the exams on a new curve.

Seems like a weird thing to say since that seems to indicate that the professor already has a set chart for what points translates into what grades--like she is equating instead of just simply applying a curve to the set of tests she is currently grading. I've heard multiple professors talk about how they typically grade and they usually use point systems to count points and then give grades based on where natural breaks appear in how students scored. (And most of these professor said if they are below the max allowed mean for the class, they go back over the point totals and bump up students who were just below the breaks that they initially established.) So I'm not sure why a professor would have to "regrade" all exams.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:12 pm

this prof is a liar

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Seems like a weird thing to say since that seems to indicate that the professor already has a set chart for what points translates into what grades--like she is equating instead of just simply applying a curve to the set of tests she is currently grading. I've heard multiple professors talk about how they typically grade and they usually use point systems to count points and then give grades based on where natural breaks appear in how students scored. (And most of these professor said if they are below the max allowed mean for the class, they go back over the point totals and bump up students who were just below the breaks that they initially established.) So I'm not sure why a professor would have to "regrade" all exams.
This.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

so is this week the week???????

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 pm

stillwater wrote:so is this week the week???????
Grades at my school are due by Friday, and I haven't gotten any back yet. Should be a wild week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:03 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Grades at my school are due by Friday, and I haven't gotten any back yet. Should be a wild week.
Mine are to be submitted by Sunday. Also hoping for some grades this week!

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 am

Not for me. Next week. :(

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Let's hope the profs actually submit them on time. I'm giving one of my professors +600 on being late.

shumpshump

Gold

Post by shumpshump » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 am

I enjoyed the weekend where I didn't have to check our school's grade system, Facebook, texts, etc. to see if any new grades came in. Back to refreshing and praying tomorrow :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:30 am

shumpshump wrote:I enjoyed the weekend where I didn't have to check our school's grade system, Facebook, texts, etc. to see if any new grades came in. Back to refreshing and praying tomorrow :(
I still checked this weekend :oops:

otnemem

Bronze

Post by otnemem » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:35 am

I still checked this weekend

Yeah me too, even though I knew it was hopeless. Considering that there seems to be a delay between the profs getting the grades in and those grades being posted, I'm not expecting my final grade to be back until classes have started. Regardless, I'll be anxious all week.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:46 am

At this point I'm at peace with the wait. I'm sure my mental state will change once I get a real grade back, but I can wait until Friday. Waiting isn't going to change what the grades are.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:There no way grades would be released on the weekend (or after 5 during the week for that matter), right? Don't want to waste one of my last weekends before school starts back up checking for grades.
A 3L said our grades were posted every night at midnight, so they will be posted after 5.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:38 pm

hibiki wrote:At this point I'm at peace with the wait. I'm sure my mental state will change once I get a real grade back, but I can wait until Friday. Waiting isn't going to change what the grades are.
But it can change if you get a job offer, or if they have already filled up with other students who actually had grades :/

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:37 pm

I don't even want just one grade at a time. Just release them all at once so I can either be yay, meh, or DRINK.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm

llachans wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:There no way grades would be released on the weekend (or after 5 during the week for that matter), right? Don't want to waste one of my last weekends before school starts back up checking for grades.
A 3L said our grades were posted every night at midnight, so they will be posted after 5.
Good to know. Thanks!

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm

My class is being surprisingly chill after the release of grades. Occasionally the topic comes up, but no one is being condescending or acting any differently. Ah, collegiality.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm

coldshoulder wrote:My class is being surprisingly chill after the release of grades. Occasionally the topic comes up, but no one is being condescending or acting any differently. Ah, collegiality.
I'm really hoping we're like that here too. Whenever the hammer drops, that is.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 pm

By and large my class was chill when 1L grades came out (3 years ago, yikes!) but there were some funny stories. I sat down for my first conlaw class and the guy next to me turns and basically goes "Hey how are you! I can't believe I got (x grade) in cib pro but (y grade) in torts, I thought I didn't understand torts at all but I guess I really didn't understand civ pro!"

Honestly it was a chill guy and a fairly chill communication outside of the context of 1L-grade-thunderdome, but a pretty funny example of how all over the map / generally tone deaf people can be about things.

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Whatever happened to LGL and his grades? That guy had me laughing my ass off.

LET'S FUCKING WAIT TEAM. CSWS BABABABAY. GRADES COMING IN. AM I GONNA DROP? HELL NO. ALREADY LOGGING IN 10 HOUR DAYS AND SITTING IN LINE FOR OFFICE HOURS. SLEEP? FUCK THAT SHIT.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

No grades yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”