Life Estate

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Life Estate

Postby echooo23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:51 pm

Can a life estate be measured by the "life" of a business/church/college/other non-human? For example, to Clown College for its life?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Life Estate

Postby dingbat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 pm

echooo23 wrote:Can a life estate be measured by the "life" of a business/church/college/other non-human? For example, to Clown College for its life?
Just put it in a trust

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Life Estate

Postby cinephile » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 pm

echooo23 wrote:Can a life estate be measured by the "life" of a business/church/college/other non-human? For example, to Clown College for its life?


No.

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Life Estate

Postby echooo23 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you!

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Life Estate

Postby LetsGoLAW » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Nope, just people. Furthermore, you cannot measure it by a large population. It cannot be for the life of the entire Chinese population.

echooo23
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:29 pm

Re: Life Estate

Postby echooo23 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:54 am

Thank you! One follow up question: since "to Clown College for its life" has no other constructional language that could be used to argue for another estate, does that mean the conveyance is just void?

User avatar
History_Buff
Posts: 8527
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Life Estate

Postby History_Buff » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 pm

echooo23 wrote:Thank you! One follow up question: since "to Clown College for its life" has no other constructional language that could be used to argue for another estate, does that mean the conveyance is just void?


Yep. A better way to convey it would be in Fee Simple Defeasible. To Clown College so long as the land is used for clown training.

pifhib2
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Life Estate

Postby pifhib2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 am

History_Buff wrote:Yep. A better way to convey it would be in Fee Simple Defeasible. To Clown College so long as the land is used for clown training.


Yup. In those cases though, make sure to analyze what 'clown training' is. Is it the storage of seltzer water and wigs? Or must clowns actually practice fitting into miniature cars at the site?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: HeedMyWarning and 5 guests