. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nmg5211

New

Post by nmg5211 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:46 am

Last edited by nmg5211 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldeneye

Silver

Re: Ready to Off Myself after First Exam...Misery Needs Company

Post by goldeneye » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:50 am

it's not over yet. you still have all next semester, and you never know. it matters how you did compared to other people. also, don't threaten to kill yourself on here. the police might show up to your house.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:51 am

How do you know this for a fact? Just keep going, LS exams are like running a marathon and not running 100 meters. The worst thing you can do is let this either devastate you or force yourself to be "happy" or accepting of this outcome.

"You lost today kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it."

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 am

Why are you bitching about this in an anonymous forum instead of trying to ace your remaining exams? Even if you get a B, you can make Dean's List if you ace the remainder of your classes, not to mention owning next semester. Hit the books!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 am

Forget about it.

ON TO THE NEXT ONE.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 am

Nova wrote:Forget about it.

ON TO THE NEXT ONE.

Terrapin Station

New

Post by Terrapin Station » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:03 am

Got a B on my first exam of 1L year (bottom of the curve). Kept grinding, ended up just outside top 10%, on law review, and with a biglaw job. It can be done. Keep at it. Wayyy too early to give up. Just like the LSAT, if it was hard for you, it was hard for everyone; if it was easy for you, it was easy for everyone. Don't psych yourself out.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:30 am

ph14 wrote:

ON TO THE NEXT ONE.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
ph14 wrote:

ON TO THE NEXT ONE.

Also, if enough of ur classmates screwed up, the curve may work in ur favor. Until grades come out just worry about what you can control, not what's in the past.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tfer2222

Bronze

Post by tfer2222 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:53 am

Terrapin Station wrote:Got a B on my first exam of 1L year (bottom of the curve). Kept grinding, ended up just outside top 10%, on law review, and with a biglaw job. It can be done. Keep at it. Wayyy too early to give up. Just like the LSAT, if it was hard for you, it was hard for everyone; if it was easy for you, it was easy for everyone. Don't psych yourself out.
Similar story here. My first 1L exam was civ pro and I completely blanked on one of 4 or so hypos. i panicked and felt like i barely wrote anything. Freaked out after the exam and started thinking about dropping out, etc. Got an A. apparently everyone else blanked out more than I did.

SEngland

Bronze

Post by SEngland » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm

drink more water

byronmullens

New

Post by byronmullens » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 pm

Learn from mistakes, if you don't fix it problems will repeat in future exams brah.

OneMoreLawHopeful

Silver

Post by OneMoreLawHopeful » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:04 pm

tfer2222 wrote:Similar story here. My first 1L exam was civ pro and I completely blanked on one of 4 or so hypos. i panicked and felt like i barely wrote anything. Freaked out after the exam and started thinking about dropping out, etc. Got an A. apparently everyone else blanked out more than I did.
This.

Because law school exams are all on curves, it doesn't matter if you screwed up multiple choice "for a fact" because it's possible that everyone else did too. When I took tax I ended up getting 20% of the multiple choice questions wrong, but still got an A in the course because most people did far worse.

There's also a tendency to psych yourself out after an exam. Before I actually got my grades, I had become 100% convinced that I misread a statute and totally f'ed up a mens rea element on my crim exam, when I actually got it completely correct.

Your grades are going to be what they're going to be, don't beat yourself up about them now. Even if you're unhappy about this semester, you still have another semester in which to bring your grades up before OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”