Possible to learn Federal Income Tax in 3 days?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JCougar

Possible to learn Federal Income Tax in 3 days?

Postby JCougar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 am

I'm a 3L, so I'm basically gunning for median at this point. I learned Evidence in one night, and nearly hit median, but this seems a lot more complex.

Any supplements anyone recommends? I've read about 100 out of the 450 pages assigned in the casebook so far, but the cases seem to be a lot of BS. This is one I feel like I could learn with a good commercial outline and an E&E.

Supposedly, a third of the exam will be "policy." I don't know about anyone else, but policy concerns seem to matter the least in a field like this.

Dear god, please make this law school experience end. At this point its simply the tail end of a hazing ritual. I'm fatter, paler, less sane, more cynical, and more sleep-deprived than I've ever been in my life. But I loved my summer internship and my externship. I just want to work and not do this shit anymore. :)
Last edited by JCougar on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovesf

Re: Possible to learn Federal Income Tax in 3 days?

Postby ilovesf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 am

I like the e&e a lot.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:55 am

JCougar wrote:Supposedly, a third of the exam will be "policy." I don't know about anyone else, but policy concerns seem to matter the least in a field like this.

It matters a lot bro as the service makes a ton of policy about what's taxable and what's not through the regs, etc.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:27 am

rad lulz wrote:
JCougar wrote:Supposedly, a third of the exam will be "policy." I don't know about anyone else, but policy concerns seem to matter the least in a field like this.

It matters a lot bro as the service makes a ton of policy about what's taxable and what's not through the regs, etc.

But as a tax lawyer, you'd really just have to know the code.

I suppose if you were trying to get "creative" and thread the needle in some gray area, knowing policy would help you estimate what you could get away with, though.

Dostoevsky

Postby Dostoevsky » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 am

E & E is good. Policy is important even though it seems flowery. PM me and I'll send you an outline.

lawyerdown27

Postby lawyerdown27 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am

Definitely possible. I didn't have any idea what was going on in tax until about 3 days before the exam, but I was able to absorb enough to at least be competent on my exam (we'll see how grades turn out though). E&E is helpful for most of the basic rules that you can just state and apply, although the examples aren't super challenging, so it might not help you with law school exam-type wrinkles that your prof might toss in. Q&A was helpful for more practice problems. Chirelstein is good for analysis/policy, but his discussions get deep at times, and some questions don't need to be answered with much more than applying the rules.

Also, we could check out the giant wall-sized tax map from the library, and that helped with going step by step and not leaving parts of the analysis out. Alternatively, I would just google anything I wasn't sure about, and more often than not one of the first results would be the Cornell LII website (that has the Code and regs online) pointing to a specific section.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 am

I'm not sure how it relates to the practice, but in the ridiculous number of tax classes I've taken policy is always a big issue. It's also, as Rad already pointed out, a big issue for the IRS. For the most part, case law isn't as important for tax as it is for other areas of law (although there are a few cases that have important implications). I wish I could recommend a supplement. I should've used one for my class, would've made my life less stressful.

You should be able to learn it in 3 days and make median. I doubt you (or anyone else, to be clear) would be able to ace the class.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:01 am

Thanks, all. I am now encouraged.

I obtained an E&E and its helpful. Also, the cases seem like a lot of fluff that you can speed read through. I have a used casebook, so someone already highlighted the important parts (this doesn't always work, as a lot of times, I find that previous owners of textbooks highlight the wrong stuff, but the person who had mine before seems "on the ball."

Churned through 130 pages today with the corresponding E&E Chapters, and made an outline of such. Aiming for 200 tomorrow. That should leave me a light load for Thursday, with time for either a practice exam or a speed-read through the Chirelstein supplement.

Best part of this is that my professor was so long-winded that we didn't get to a good chunk of the syllabus. It was torture sitting through class and only covering 5-10 pages a day (hence my zoning out), but now I'm reaping the benefits.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”