2Lm- too late to improve my analysis skills?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beningini

2Lm- too late to improve my analysis skills?

Postby beningini » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Just got done with a Con Law final. I don't think that I had enough analysis & back & forth btwn sides. It was Dormant Commerce & I spent a good chunk of time organizing the rules into a framework & trying to tie in & make connections with other topics. I really screwed the midterm, rules right but some parts totally lacked analysis.

What's the best resource I can read over winter break so the rest of law school doesn't suck?

OutCold

Re: 2Lm- too late to improve my analysis skills?

Postby OutCold » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 pm

I think the best way to learn how to write an exam is to comb through as many old exams and answers as you can. The model answers are generally among the best. Look at how they analyze particular issues and apply it to the rest of the doctrine in the course.

That said, a good exam (course dependent) is as simple as spotting the issue, reciting the rule, applying that rule to the facts at hand, and giving a quick counterargument and why the counterargument is weak. Throw in tiny bit of policy if the professor opined on that particular issue (just repeat whatever was said).

Every subject is different, but I think that is pretty applicable to all the 1L material.

ph14

Re: 2Lm- too late to improve my analysis skills?

Postby ph14 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:24 pm

beningini wrote:Just got done with a Con Law final. I don't think that I had enough analysis & back & forth btwn sides. It was Dormant Commerce & I spent a good chunk of time organizing the rules into a framework & trying to tie in & make connections with other topics. I really screwed the midterm, rules right but some parts totally lacked analysis.

What's the best resource I can read over winter break so the rest of law school doesn't suck?

http://openbook.wolterskluwerlb.com/

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”