1L Summer Bankruptcy Clerk Job Search

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jagpaw

1L Summer Bankruptcy Clerk Job Search

Postby jagpaw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:14 pm

how exactly should one go about obtaining a 1L summer clerkship with a bankruptcy judge?

Bumi

Re: 1L Summer Bankruptcy Clerk Job Search

Postby Bumi » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:18 pm

It's just like getting any other externship with a judge for your 1L summer. Mail your resume and transcript and a cover letter to the judges you'd be interested in working for. For bankruptcy judges it's always a good idea to emphasize why you want them specifically. The more times your resume and cover letter tie to bankruptcy, the better.

Ideally someone in your school's career office would know better whether the judges in your city (a) take externs or (b) want a different format of application than a random guy on the internet, though.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Internship or externship. You don't clerk for a judge during law school.

jagpaw

Postby jagpaw » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:06 pm

ok thx guys. yea my mistake, meant externship. what 1L gig do you think would make you more competitive for a 2L summer associate position with a biglaw restructuring group----an externship with a bankruptcy judge, or a 1L summer associate position? I know the latter are tough to come by, but I'm hoping that MVP and strong finance work experience with a F500 should at least make it a possibility.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”