Summer classes after 1L year - Edit - possible 4 year JD/MS

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Masala716

Summer classes after 1L year - Edit - possible 4 year JD/MS

Postby Masala716 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:21 pm

I know this is early, and I might just be freaking out, but do any of you guys have any thoughts on the idea of not working 1L summer and taking classes instead to raise gpa before fall OCI? I am freaking out that my fall semester gpa will be below the median. I go to UT.

Edit - applied to the MS program in CS, wondering how that affects fall OCI (does that push it a year out?)
Last edited by Masala716 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Re: Summer classes after 1L year

Postby rad lulz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Study harder you joke

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:29 pm

Masala716 wrote:I know this is early, and I might just be freaking out, but do any of you guys have any thoughts on the idea of not working 1L summer and taking classes instead to raise gpa before fall OCI? I am freaking out that my fall semester gpa will be below the median. I go to UT.

You won't get summer grades before OCI and even if you did have those grades when talking to some firms they might look at those courses differently (i.e. they might just look at your grades in 1L courses since that is what is comparable to your peers).

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:31 pm

rad lulz wrote:Study harder you joke

+1

Also, OP, most schools do not include summer classes in class rank. Your rank and cumulative GPA will be your Fall + Spring grades. Summer school and no job does not make employer's think "Wow look at that GPA," it makes them think "Wow this person didn't have an interest in working this summer." Plus there is no guarantee at all that you will do amazing in a summer class and raise your GPA.

Masala716

Postby Masala716 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:35 pm

Gorki wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Study harder you joke

+1

Also, OP, most schools do not include summer classes in class rank. Your rank and cumulative GPA will be your Fall + Spring grades. Summer school and no job does not make employer's think "Wow look at that GPA," it makes them think "Wow this person didn't have an interest in working this summer." Plus there is no guarantee at all that you will do amazing in a summer class and raise your GPA.

....sooooo I guess I better step it up right now then.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Masala716 wrote:
....sooooo I guess I better step it up right now then.

Yeah. Did not mean to be a dick, but as a 2L I will tell you that everything said on here about 1L grades being everything for OCI hiring is ABSOLUTELY true. It is totally natural to feel like you are not that smart at this point, in fact LS has gradually drained my feeling of self-worth since I matriculated. Just think about it as doing the best you can to compete with some of the smartest students you have ever been in a class with.

If you feel right now you will do below median, chances are you are studying hard enough and carefully enough you will not be under median... The gunners who think they have the class on lock b/c they have been rereading the 1480s tort cases are the ones in trouble.

Consult sealocust's post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199175

Go forth and conquer. Best of luck.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm

1) You need a job anyway, even if it's part time. Bonus points if you do a clinic where you get grades. Two birds one stone.

2) Will these classes be easy A's? If not, it's probably not going to help much.

3) Like people said, you won't have grades by OCI

4) But I know someone who did this. Took their below median grades to above median with an 4.0 during summer. Didn't help him during OCI, but he found a firm in October with the better GPA.

5) Firms seem to not understand that post 1L grades can be gammed. People two do a 4 year program get full credit for their easy as pie 2L grades.

Masala716

Postby Masala716 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:25 pm

People two do a 4 year program get full credit for their easy as pie 2L grades.
[/quote]

I have a bachelors in CS and I applied for the MS program this term here at UT... I don't know if I will get into the program yet, but if I do I expect that will push my law school education out to 4 years? I was going to talk to an adviser about this come Monday.

If so, how does OCI work if it takes me four years to get my JD/MS in CS? Would I do OCI during my 3rd year?

BarrySanders

Re: Summer classes after 1L year - Edit - possible 4 year JD/MS

Postby BarrySanders » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Firms seem to not understand that post 1L grades can be gammed. People two do a 4 year program get full credit for their easy as pie 2L grades.

+1

I am a joint degree student at a T30 and improved my class standing from top 30% to top 15% during 2L by taking classes I was actually interested in. However, this leads to the point that summer classes are even more of a bad idea for someone in a 4 year degree. Since you can (theoretically) improve your grades in 2L year, why miss out on the opportunity to get some real world experience for your resume?

target

Postby target » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:03 am

Desert Fox wrote:4) But I know someone who did this. Took their below median grades to above median with an 4.0 during summer. Didn't help him during OCI, but he found a firm in October with the better GPA.

I know one kid at my school with the similar story. But seriously, study hard now and next semester. Taking more classes doesn't help increase your grades unless you already good at taking exams.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”