Use your personal outlines for the bar or just BARBRI's?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ok2bedifferent

Use your personal outlines for the bar or just BARBRI's?

Postby ok2bedifferent » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi - I am wondering if you bothered to review your own outlines to study for the bar (i.e., the outlines you created to study for finals) or did you just study BARBRI's? I am hesitant to use someone else's outline, but I have been told that BARBRI's are more complete, if not more. What did you do/find?

run26.2

Re: Use your personal outlines for the bar or just BARBRI's?

Postby run26.2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:05 am

ok2bedifferent wrote:Hi - I am wondering if you bothered to review your own outlines to study for the bar (i.e., the outlines you created to study for finals) or did you just study BARBRI's? I am hesitant to use someone else's outline, but I have been told that BARBRI's are more complete, if not more. What did you do/find?

I created new outlines to study for the bar. The topics tested may not be identical between the bar and your substantive classes. Also, there were numerous subjects on the bar that I did not take in law school, so I had no outline for them. I am sure many people did not create their own outlines, though -- you can study directly from the Conviser Mini Review and be fine.

ok2bedifferent

Postby ok2bedifferent » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:12 am

run26.2 wrote:I created new outlines to study for the bar.

Were those new outlines from the BARBRI material or from other supplements (e.g., Conviser)?

run26.2

Postby run26.2 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:47 am

ok2bedifferent wrote:
run26.2 wrote:I created new outlines to study for the bar.

Were those new outlines from the BARBRI material or from other supplements (e.g., Conviser)?

A combination of both. I based them around the BarBri lectures but supplemented with information from CMR.

I think if you memorized the outlines that accompanied the BarBri outlines, you'd be pretty close to knowing everything you need to pass the bar. Just refer to CMR if you don't understand something.

TheGreatFish

Postby TheGreatFish » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 am

I only used the mini review and it worked out fine. In my opinion, it's excessive to create your own outlines when you already have perfectly good BARBRI outlines.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:46 am

Do not use class outlines for the bar. The bar, like finals, is the law according to the grader. As you go through a test prep company, you may find that the "right" answer is different than what you were taught in class. Similarly, when you read the model answers to state essays, you might be surprised at their view of the law. The test prep outlines and materials focus on the right audience. Your class notes do not.

The bar is about conformity. You need to pick the right multiple choice answer and you want your essays to sound like either (1) the model or (2) everyone else's.

It's not ok2bedifferent on the bar. :lol:

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 am

Do NOT use class outlines for the state bar exam. Just use the bar review course prep materials.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”