Torts: Misrepresentation vs. Express Warranty

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
punkyg0608

Torts: Misrepresentation vs. Express Warranty

Postby punkyg0608 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I've searched all over and I can't find any difference between Misrepresentation and Express Warranty. If I'm not mistaken, the elements for both are:

1. commercial seller
2. misrepresentation of material fact
3. reliance on misrepresentation
4. harm to consumer

Am I missing something? There has to be some difference between these two torts, right? Thanks for any help you can offer, I appreciate it!

rishabhagny

Re: Torts: Misrepresentation vs. Express Warranty

Postby rishabhagny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:05 pm

From my notes I have some differences between the two:

Express Warranty
Allows recovery if the seller makes specific representations about the quality of the product and the buyer is injured due to the failure of the goods to fulfill those requirements.
-Limitations: only applies when specific misrepresentations were made by the buyer about the product.
-Example: "Ford sells a care and part of the contract guaranteed the windshield was shatterproof. It later shattered."

Misrepresentation
The plaintiff must show that the defendant made a misrepresentation about a fact material to the transaction and that the plaintiff acted in reliance on the misrepresentation and suffered injury because the product was not as represented by the seller.
-Plaintiff can recover even if the product is NOT defective - can recover as long as the product fails to live up to the misrepresentations that led to the injury.

The way I see it, and I may be wrong here, is that misrepresentation occurs and is actionable when the seller says something explicitly to the plaintiff, whereas breach of express warranty is a warranty that the seller has already attached to the product.

I'm not sure if that helps answer your question at all, but I'm gearing up for a Torts final as well..

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Misrepresentation is a tort. Breach of express warranty is a contract-based cause of action.

Breach of express warranty never requires intent/fault/scienter. Intentional misrepresentation requires intent to decieve, and negligent misrepresentation requires that the seller should have known that the representation was false. "Innocent" misrepresentation (i.e. no-fault) requires a commercial seller, whereas breach of express warranty does not.

punkyg0608

Postby punkyg0608 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for the help! I think I have a better idea of which is which now. But they both have pretty much the same elements right? That's why it's so confusing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”