2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 am

I have a torts exam that has 15 multiple choice questions, a 7-8 page, single-spaced, dense, fact pattern, and a policy question at the end.

How the hell do I deal with the issue spotter section? I have tried to do the LEEWS approach of 15 minutes plan, write, plan, etc. That did not work because one actor might be negligent on the first page but the affects are not seen until the middle or the end of the hypo. I know the rules, and I spot some/most of the issues, but I just feel like I am doing this wrong.

I have no problems at all with 1-3 page, double-spaced, contract fact patterns, nor with 1-4 page, double-spaced, criminal law fact patterns.

I need advice on how to handle these 7-8 page, single-spaced, monsters from hell.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: 2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 am

Prof.whitebread, 8 secrets to top law school exam performance. Order it now, read its 98 pages immediately, then you'll be all set.

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: 2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

Postby Mick Haller » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 am

are you certain that the fact pattern for your essay is 7-8 pages?

the total exam may be that long including the MC

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 am

NotMyRealName09 wrote:Prof.whitebread, 8 secrets to top law school exam performance. Order it now, read its 98 pages immediately, then you'll be all set.


Have it. It does not help with this beast. It did help with contracts and criminal law.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: 2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 am

Mick Haller wrote:are you certain that the fact pattern for your essay is 7-8 pages?

the total exam may be that long including the MC


Yes, I have taken two of them and have been violated by both. The entire exam is 14-16 pages long.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: 2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

Postby Drake014 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:41 am

swimmer11 wrote:I have a torts exam that has 15 multiple choice questions, a 7-8 page, single-spaced, dense, fact pattern, and a policy question at the end.

How the hell do I deal with the issue spotter section? I have tried to do the LEEWS approach of 15 minutes plan, write, plan, etc. That did not work because one actor might be negligent on the first page but the affects are not seen until the middle or the end of the hypo. I know the rules, and I spot some/most of the issues, but I just feel like I am doing this wrong.

I have no problems at all with 1-3 page, double-spaced, contract fact patterns, nor with 1-4 page, double-spaced, criminal law fact patterns.

I need advice on how to handle these 7-8 page, single-spaced, monsters from hell.


Study harder for your other classes.

MinEMorris
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 am

Re: 2Ls and 3Ls advise me on how to take an 8 page torts exam

Postby MinEMorris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:41 am

Well, start by realizing that everyone else in the class is getting the same length hypo as you. 7-8 page single space hypo just seems ridiculous to me, but it is also a good reminder that professor approaches to law school exams truly is pretty arbitrary.

Hopefully this professor has previous exams so that you have a chance to experiment. If I were you, here is what I would do:

First, if you know the relative weights of the sections (e.g. MC is 20%, policy Q is 20%, and hypo is 60%) then plan accordingly. For example, with the previously mentioned weights, on a four hour exam plan on ~45 minutes for MC and ~45 minutes for policy question and dedicate the rest on the hypo. Of course, do MC first and credit any time left over to the hypo.

When you get to the hypo, read the last paragraph first, i.e., what the question is. I always do this with hypos, but would especially advise it on a 8 page hypo. This will help you know what you're concentrating on and looking out for (e.g. Mr. Miyagi's liability, or everyone's liability).

After you know what's being asked, my intuition would be to skim it once to see what the general gist of the hypo is, then work through it page by page. My guess is that if it's a a 7 page hypo, it's not one event that is described through seven pages, but instead, many many events.
So say for example that the last paragraph asks you to analyze all of the ways that Mr. Miyagi might be held liable. I would start working through it category by category, event by event. E.g.:

MR MIYAGI'S POTENTIAL LIABILITY

Negligence

Event 1: Mr. Miyagi ("MM") running into Ms. Flora ("MF") with his car

.......

Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress

Event 1: MF's mom observing MM strike her with his car

...

and just add categories/events as necessary when you work through it page by page. Likely, and you can ask your professor this directly, the professor is just assigning points as they go through your answer. You likely don't get any "bonus points" by finishing the whole hypo, but instead just get however many points are applicable to what you worked through. That said, I would get through the obvious/big stuff first, and if you have time (doubt it), go back and add in more nuanced analysis.

Good luck, sounds wild.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests