Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LawBrah
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby LawBrah » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Basically I never go to class. I also haven't read any cases since early October. I do have good outlines for each of my classes from my 2L buddy though. But...I have no real understanding of the law or what the hell is going on in any of my classes. 1st exam in about 10 days, and 2-3 days between exams. I have Adderall so sitting down and studying for 14-16 hrs a day won't really be a problem.

What can I do in the next week and a half to ensure I get median or if possible top quartile? This is at a t6 btw.

Thanks in advance

ShitLawOrBust
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 pm

memorize outlines as best as you can and take practice exams. youv'e got 10 days till first one so it's not unreasonable to shoot for 4 practice exams for each class, assuming you have a decent memory. memorize outlines, take pracitce exams, spew outline onto exam under guise of analysis, profit. it's really that simple

LawBrah
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby LawBrah » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 pm

ShitLawOrBust wrote:memorize outlines as best as you can and take practice exams. youv'e got 10 days till first one so it's not unreasonable to shoot for 4 practice exams for each class, assuming you have a decent memory. memorize outlines, take pracitce exams, spew outline onto exam under guise of analysis, profit. it's really that simple


Should I jump straight into practice exams? Or spend some time just in beast mode Adderall memorizing the shit out of those outlines first? I don't want to "waste" the practice exams (if that's even possible)

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby Gorki » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 pm

LawBrah wrote:
ShitLawOrBust wrote:memorize outlines as best as you can and take practice exams. youv'e got 10 days till first one so it's not unreasonable to shoot for 4 practice exams for each class, assuming you have a decent memory. memorize outlines, take pracitce exams, spew outline onto exam under guise of analysis, profit. it's really that simple


Should I jump straight into practice exams? Or spend some time just in beast mode Adderall memorizing the shit out of those outlines first? I don't want to "waste" the practice exams (if that's even possible)


You need to remember alot of the material before you take a practice test, and after the PT you need to compare it to the model answers.

ShitLawOrBust
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:36 pm

LawBrah wrote:
ShitLawOrBust wrote:memorize outlines as best as you can and take practice exams. youv'e got 10 days till first one so it's not unreasonable to shoot for 4 practice exams for each class, assuming you have a decent memory. memorize outlines, take pracitce exams, spew outline onto exam under guise of analysis, profit. it's really that simple


Should I jump straight into practice exams? Or spend some time just in beast mode Adderall memorizing the shit out of those outlines first? I don't want to "waste" the practice exams (if that's even possible)


i would beast mode memorization at least one day for each class. that's just me though. i know a few people who memorize as they take practice exams (untimed, of course), rather than just memorizing them cold.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:38 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShitLawOrBust
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:41 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Try this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=174499&p

oh so hes flame

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:42 pm

LawBrah wrote:Basically I never go to class. I also haven't read any cases since early October. I do have good outlines for each of my classes from my 2L buddy though. But...I have no real understanding of the law or what the hell is going on in any of my classes. 1st exam in about 10 days, and 2-3 days between exams. I have Adderall so sitting down and studying for 14-16 hrs a day won't really be a problem.

What can I do in the next week and a half to ensure I get median or if possible top quartile? This is at a t6 btw.

Thanks in advance


Forget trying to do outlining or reading. That is for pre thanksgiving. Doing it now is not time efficient.

1) Buy the book "Getting to Maybe" on Amazon and have it shipped 1 day shipping. Read about the first third of the book. After that you should get the point it makes. TL;DR; you are supposed to argue both sides of teh argument, and find issues taht are unclear.

2) Read the outline, concentrating very hard on the law. You are effectively learning the class from the outline. If you don't understand what the outline means, look up the case or rule in a Supplement, or read the case yourself. This is the only time to read a case, when you don't understand what the outline means.

3) Take as many practice tests as you possibly can. At least one, but two is a good minimum. This lets you know how well you did part 2.

4) repeat 2 and 3 until the test.

You seem to have about 16 days of studying (10 + 2/3 between). Divide it equally amongst your classes. It's a rookie mistake to focus on test 1 from now until the first day, then spend 2 days on the rest. Tons of your class mates will make that mistake.

I tend to think 3 days is about bare minimum it takes to really learn a class enough for an A.

Also, don't count on having any time to study on exam day, after it's over. If you can do it, great. But don't rely on it. Because most people are too wiped out, and preoccupied by the last test. After the test, I'd get lunch. Go to the theatre, eat a good dinner, then be in bed early. And wake up early the next day ready to go.

User avatar
Maximized
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby Maximized » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 pm

LawBrah wrote:Basically I never go to class. I also haven't read any cases since early October. I do have good outlines for each of my classes from my 2L buddy though. But...I have no real understanding of the law or what the hell is going on in any of my classes. 1st exam in about 10 days, and 2-3 days between exams. I have Adderall so sitting down and studying for 14-16 hrs a day won't really be a problem.

What can I do in the next week and a half to ensure I get median or if possible top quartile? This is at a t6 btw.

Thanks in advance
You were lucky enough to go to a T6 school and have not tried at all... My recommendation is that you drop out and make room for someone who will appreciate that kind of opportunity. Other than that, I'm sure other peoples' advice is solid.

TheZoid
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby TheZoid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:00 am

Did you seriously ask how you can get top quarter? Lol. Not saying its impossible because its probly not, but shit those are some lofty expectations for a guy who doesn't know the law at the end of November.

Kage3212
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:34 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby Kage3212 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 am

Sometimes the kids who don't know what the hell is going on end up on the right side of the grading spectrum....I am sure crazier things have happened.

Pokemon
Posts: 1866
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby Pokemon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:08 am

I did best in the class I barely read, worse in the class that I was taking notes like my life depended on it. It still puzzles me.

ShitLawOrBust
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:17 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby ShitLawOrBust » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 am

ShitLawOrBust wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:Try this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=174499&p

oh so hes flame

just so you guys stop taking him seriously

User avatar
mellyy85
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby mellyy85 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:44 am

Maximized wrote:
LawBrah wrote:Basically I never go to class. I also haven't read any cases since early October. I do have good outlines for each of my classes from my 2L buddy though. But...I have no real understanding of the law or what the hell is going on in any of my classes. 1st exam in about 10 days, and 2-3 days between exams. I have Adderall so sitting down and studying for 14-16 hrs a day won't really be a problem.

What can I do in the next week and a half to ensure I get median or if possible top quartile? This is at a t6 btw.

Thanks in advance
You were lucky enough to go to a T6 school and have not tried at all... My recommendation is that you drop out and make room for someone who will appreciate that kind of opportunity. Other than that, I'm sure other peoples' advice is solid.


Ha this is one of the exact reasons why I dread being in class. Learning the material is awesome, dealing with people like you is not.

User avatar
Maximized
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby Maximized » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:40 am

mellyy85 wrote:
Maximized wrote:
LawBrah wrote:Basically I never go to class. I also haven't read any cases since early October. I do have good outlines for each of my classes from my 2L buddy though. But...I have no real understanding of the law or what the hell is going on in any of my classes. 1st exam in about 10 days, and 2-3 days between exams. I have Adderall so sitting down and studying for 14-16 hrs a day won't really be a problem.

What can I do in the next week and a half to ensure I get median or if possible top quartile? This is at a t6 btw.

Thanks in advance
You were lucky enough to go to a T6 school and have not tried at all... My recommendation is that you drop out and make room for someone who will appreciate that kind of opportunity. Other than that, I'm sure other peoples' advice is solid.


Ha this is one of the exact reasons why I dread being in class. Learning the material is awesome, dealing with people like you is not.

Wow, I'm deeply insulted.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Help me study for my 1L Finals (slacked off this semester)

Postby dextermorgan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 am

I'm sad that you're a flame and not at my school. Someone's got to be at the bottom (although I think we already have a few people who fit the bill).




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apricots, Downstairs_Mixup and 11 guests