Best course to prep for SA at NYC BigLaw firm?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MissLucky

Best course to prep for SA at NYC BigLaw firm?

Postby MissLucky » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:07 am

I have to choose between taking Enterprise Organizations and Evidence next semester. Which will better prepare me for my summer associateship at a NYC BigLaw firm (I am interested in litigation and have ZERO corporate background or knowledge).

thanks so much.

kwais

Re: Best course to prep for SA at NYC BigLaw firm?

Postby kwais » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:12 am

not sure if your school has it, but a few people told me that the best class for an SA is Advanced Legal Research. Painful, but helpful. I think that process classes are likely more important that content ones, but I could be wrong.

Slobberson

Postby Slobberson » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:25 am

MissLucky wrote:I have to choose between taking Enterprise Organizations and Evidence next semester. Which will better prepare me for my summer associateship at a NYC BigLaw firm (I am interested in litigation and have ZERO corporate background or knowledge).

thanks so much.

Are you a 1L or a 2L? (Some schools give an elective choice second semester 1L).

If you're at a firm that lets you choose your assignments, and you only take litigation assignments, then you're basically going to be writing memos exactly like the one you wrote first semester of LRW. You get a question, you do research and find the answer, then you write a memo in that same LRW format (more or less).

In that light, it really doesn't matter what you take, but any class that helps you with writing those types of memos is what you should shoot for. For example, I had to write a memo about some admin law type question 1L summer, and having taken con law actually made that process faster because I already kind of knew that there was going to be a statute AND an agency w/ regulations that I had to look at, and I already knew about sovereign immunity (which was relevant) and some other things.

Since you don't really know what kinds of questions you're going to get, you don't know which class will be more helpful. If the firm does a lot of corporate litigation and you plan on doing those types of projects, take biz orgs. If it doesn't or you aren't interested in that kind of litigation, then take evidence. I hadn't taken either my 1L SA and it was okay, but if you are familiar with the fundamentals of an area of law that you're researching, it definitely does make you more efficient (shocker).

Don't stress too much about the summer, though. If you're smart enough to be hired, you're smart enough to do a great job *if* you try, regardless of what classes you've taken (for litigation anyway, can't speak to corporate).

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:01 am

Slobberson wrote:
MissLucky wrote:I have to choose between taking Enterprise Organizations and Evidence next semester. Which will better prepare me for my summer associateship at a NYC BigLaw firm (I am interested in litigation and have ZERO corporate background or knowledge).

thanks so much.

Are you a 1L or a 2L? (Some schools give an elective choice second semester 1L).

If you're at a firm that lets you choose your assignments, and you only take litigation assignments, then you're basically going to be writing memos exactly like the one you wrote first semester of LRW. You get a question, you do research and find the answer, then you write a memo in that same LRW format (more or less).

In that light, it really doesn't matter what you take, but any class that helps you with writing those types of memos is what you should shoot for. For example, I had to write a memo about some admin law type question 1L summer, and having taken con law actually made that process faster because I already kind of knew that there was going to be a statute AND an agency w/ regulations that I had to look at, and I already knew about sovereign immunity (which was relevant) and some other things.

Since you don't really know what kinds of questions you're going to get, you don't know which class will be more helpful. If the firm does a lot of corporate litigation and you plan on doing those types of projects, take biz orgs. If it doesn't or you aren't interested in that kind of litigation, then take evidence. I hadn't taken either my 1L SA and it was okay, but if you are familiar with the fundamentals of an area of law that you're researching, it definitely does make you more efficient (shocker).

Don't stress too much about the summer, though. If you're smart enough to be hired, you're smart enough to do a great job *if* you try, regardless of what classes you've taken (for litigation anyway, can't speak to corporate).

Thanks a lot - I'm a 2L. Firm def does a lot of corp litigation, but I have such a heavy schedule for next semester already I feel like taking evidence (3 creds) may be a bit more manageable than taking EO (4 creds).

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Take BA if they do a lot of corporate litigation and so that minimally you have an idea of the buzzwords. It is not even hard.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”