Very behind 1L: How screwed am I?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LivingIn1L

Very behind 1L: How screwed am I?

Postby LivingIn1L » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:41 pm

First thing's first: I know that the only reason I am behind is because of my own procrastination. It haunted me in college and has returned to rear its ugly head this semester.

My first exam is on the 13th, second on the 17th, and third on the 21st.

As of now, I have really fallen behind the last month or so - only reading sparingly for class mostly, but I have also missed one or two sessions of each class.

I have four or five solid outlines for each course thanks to a couple 2Ls and 3Ls that I know. I have a bunch of supplements, as well.

In general, I have a good idea of what's going on in each class but certainly not enough details to do well on an exam.

Where do I go from here? Again, I know that only I am to blame for this, so berate me as you wish. But I'm desperately wondering a realistic plan for the next three weeks, and the best case scenario I could expect following such a plan.

Thanks for any advice

ph14

Re: Very behind 1L: How screwed am I?

Postby ph14 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Where do you go from here? Perhaps consider learning the material and studying for finals.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Just study those outlines like crazy

Only read supplements where you don't understand something. Otherwise they are a time sink
Last edited by Mick Haller on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lemon Lyman

Postby Lemon Lyman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Would love to hear how TLS procrastinators have pulled it off... I'm in a similar boat as OP.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Lemon Lyman wrote:Would love to hear how TLS procrastinators have pulled it off... I'm in a similar boat as OP.

Just be efficient with your time. Supplements and writing your own outline are probably a time sink at this point.

I've studied only 3-5 days for exams and gotten A's. Old outlines + class notes FTW

Lemon Lyman

Postby Lemon Lyman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Thanks Mick. I take it you pretty much mean we should use old outlines as primary study material and use class notes to fill in the gaps/explain concepts that are in the outline?

LawlStoodent

Postby LawlStoodent » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Mick Haller wrote:
Lemon Lyman wrote:Would love to hear how TLS procrastinators have pulled it off... I'm in a similar boat as OP.

Just be efficient with your time. Supplements and writing your own outline are probably a time sink at this point.

I've studied only 3-5 days for exams and gotten A's. Old outlines + class notes FTW

How do we feel about outlines from Outline Depot?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Find an old exam with model answers. If you don't have time to actually practice, just read through the answers so you know what the professor is looking for in an "A" response.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Spend some time reviewing the old outlines and your class notes and some time taking practice tests (ideally ones with answers or review them with a study group). Taking the practice exams are crucial. It gives you an idea of what to expect and forces you to actively state the law and apply it to facts rather than passively reading or memorizing. Try to get practice exams from your professor or, if there are none available, find out what type of test your professor gives (long complicated issuer spotter? half issue spotting/half policy? multiple choice?) from the 2Ls and 3Ls and find exams that are of that type and take them.

IMO it helps a lot to get a group of three or four people and make a practice exam review schedule....like you will all do Professor X's 2008 exam on December 7 and then meet at 7 PM to discuss it, then Professor X's 2010 exam on December 9 and meet to discuss it that night, etc. You don't necessarily have to write out your full answer (although I would recommend doing that at least once) for the discussion. But it is helpful to have structure and to have other people keeping you accountable. Good luck!

BTW, what school?

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Lemon Lyman wrote:Thanks Mick. I take it you pretty much mean we should use old outlines as primary study material and use class notes to fill in the gaps/explain concepts that are in the outline?

I preferred the other way around actually. I took extremely detailed notes in class and made those the main focus of my exam prep. Then I used outlines to review/gap fill.

This method got me top 15% at a lower T1. You may need to do more if shooting higher, or are at a higher ranked school.

I didn't write practice exams but I did review at least 2 or 3 for each professor with model answers if available. It's helpful to see exam formats plus what is unlikely to be tested again.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”