Fack me.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesteelers

Fack me.

Postby thesteelers » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 pm

2L. Didn't do shit all semester. Have finals in 2 weeks. Advice? (Yes, I know - drink more. Am doing it.)

badaboom61

Re: Fack me.

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:12 pm

2 weeks is a lot of time. Stop drinking, cram in the E&E's, get some other people's outlines, learn the class, take the exam, start drinking again until mid April.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:38 pm

But a supplement but don't read it. Find an old outline. Learn from the outline. If something is unclear, look it up in the supplement.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Desert Fox wrote:But a supplement but don't read it. Find an old outline. Learn from the outline. If something is unclear, look it up in the supplement.

+1

And drink, of course.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 pm

yep, got me some old outlines. trading my precious booze for coffee for two weeks and then GOODBYE.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I hope this works for Contracts because I gave up staying awake in that class in about week 3. Consideration is pretty much the only concept I have down.

Every time an upperclassman asks who my prof is and I tell them, they just laugh. :?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:16 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I hope this works for Contracts because I gave up staying awake in that class in about week 3. Consideration is pretty much the only concept I have down.

Every time an upperclassman asks who my prof is and I tell them, they just laugh. :?

It definitely works for Ks. Just make sure you understand the UCC/Restatement.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:53 pm

All I can say is that I feel you OP. I really hope that there's no 2L out there who feels like they tried as hard/harder than 1L. More specfically, no 2Ls who feel that way in my classes.

I hope this works for Contracts because I gave up staying awake in that class in about week 3. Consideration is pretty much the only concept I have down.

Every time an upperclassman asks who my prof is and I tell them, they just laugh.

I'm going to be an annoying upper classman and give you an unsolicited piece of advice that will hopefully save you some time, confusion, and stress:

You do not have a contracts course. Instead, you're taking a class on (insertyourprofessor'snamehere)'s Conception of Contracts. Every supplement you read, every upperclassman you consult, it all only matters insofar as it coincides with what your professor thinks is true and important. I know it's tempting to believe that there's some really objective body of law out there and that that's what you're learning and what you'll be tested on, but that's a dangerous assumption to follow. Luckily most professor's are in enough agreement and follow enough of the same authority that you can pull off good grades relying on outside resources, but I guarantee you there's a good number of professors where you'd just be totally screwing yourself. Not to mention, the difference between Bs and As is often a subtle appreciation for the particularities of the professor as opposed to a strong grasp of the general subject matter.

In your favor is the fact that Contracts is probably the most regular and settled topic out there in terms of how it's taught. If that's the only course you're behind on, you'll probably be fine. Good luck.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:50 am

I just hope every 2L has similarly been slacking, so the curve will work it all out. Right?!?! Right.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 am

stewie27 wrote:I just hope every 2L has similarly been slacking, so the curve will work it all out. Right?!?! Right.

Nah. Gunners be gunning. Those who don't get dat BIG LAW start gunning. Clerkship gunners activate.

LazinessPerSe

Postby LazinessPerSe » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:23 am

Law and ___ theory classes can die. No supplement? First time ever as a class? Never really talk about readings in class?

Seems legit.

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:35 am

MinEMorris wrote:

Every time an upperclassman asks who my prof is and I tell them, they just laugh.

I'm going to be an annoying upper classman and give you an unsolicited piece of advice that will hopefully save you some time, confusion, and stress:

You do not have a contracts course. Instead, you're taking a class on (insertyourprofessor'snamehere)'s Conception of Contracts. Every supplement you read, every upperclassman you consult, it all only matters insofar as it coincides with what your professor thinks is true and important. I know it's tempting to believe that there's some really objective body of law out there and that that's what you're learning and what you'll be tested on, but that's a dangerous assumption to follow. Luckily most professor's are in enough agreement and follow enough of the same authority that you can pull off good grades relying on outside resources, but I guarantee you there's a good number of professors where you'd just be totally screwing yourself. Not to mention, the difference between Bs and As is often a subtle appreciation for the particularities of the professor as opposed to a strong grasp of the general subject matter.

In your favor is the fact that Contracts is probably the most regular and settled topic out there in terms of how it's taught. If that's the only course you're behind on, you'll probably be fine. Good luck.

+1 on this for sure. I had the Contracts E&E as a 1L and it was almost totally useless. It may have helped a little bit with battle of the forms.

ArtVandelayy

Postby ArtVandelayy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Having read that the Contracts E&E is pretty shitty, I'm wondering if there are any other popular supps that have a bad reputation for certain courses - Torts, CrimLaw, Property specifically

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:33 pm

ArtVandelayy wrote:Having read that the Contracts E&E is pretty shitty, I'm wondering if there are any other popular supps that have a bad reputation for certain courses - Torts, CrimLaw, Property specifically

All of the above.

ArtVandelayy

Postby ArtVandelayy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:35 pm

hurldes wrote:
ArtVandelayy wrote:Having read that the Contracts E&E is pretty shitty, I'm wondering if there are any other popular supps that have a bad reputation for certain courses - Torts, CrimLaw, Property specifically

All of the above.

What do you mean? I'm asking if any other popular supplements (E&E, Gilbert's Crunchtime, etc) are inaccurate or otherwise misleading for Torts, Criminal Law, or Property

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Ask your professor if they recommend any particular supplement, most usually have one they endorse. Supplements are not a dirty secret, and most professors only try to dissuade their students from using them because they rely too heavily on them (if you feel shy, try telling your teacher you finished outlining based on class notes and would like to solidify the concepts by hearing them in different words/from another source). Even if your teacher gives you some speech, grading is anonymous, so it's worth a try.

I personally always preferred hornbooks to E&Es. My favorite Ks hornbook was some farnsworth one, think it was kind of old too (luckily contract law doesn't really change). Dressler is famous for crimlaw, Chereminsky for conlaw, Spranklin/Singer for property.. I know there's a thread on TLS listing favorite supplements.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”