Open Book Exams - Do you have to memorize?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Re: Open Book Exams - Do you have to memorize?

Postby ilovesf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:06 pm

kapital98 wrote:
uvabro wrote:The model answer on contracts just put in the case rule. In torts we do almost all cases, like 10 a class. She's also very fact heavy so i assume shell want us to state the general rule then use similar cases for and against us.

Example: My Contracts professor was a classic Socratic Method teacher who would talk about facts specific to cases all class long. He would briefly mention the rule or UCC and then dive right back into the facts. Well, all of that discussion was almost meaningless when it came to the exam. He had a checklist of rules and analysis on what to look for. Case names and case analogies were not part of that checklist. If it wasn't on the checklist you had almost no chance of gaining points.

I don't know anything about this check list, but I cited cases at every chance possible in Ks in the exam. The only class where I didn't cite any cases [or at least - very, very few] was in Crim.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:36 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:
uvabro wrote:The model answer on contracts just put in the case rule. In torts we do almost all cases, like 10 a class. She's also very fact heavy so i assume shell want us to state the general rule then use similar cases for and against us.

Example: My Contracts professor was a classic Socratic Method teacher who would talk about facts specific to cases all class long. He would briefly mention the rule or UCC and then dive right back into the facts. Well, all of that discussion was almost meaningless when it came to the exam. He had a checklist of rules and analysis on what to look for. Case names and case analogies were not part of that checklist. If it wasn't on the checklist you had almost no chance of gaining points.

I don't know anything about this check list, but I cited cases at every chance possible in Ks in the exam. The only class where I didn't cite any cases [or at least - very, very few] was in Crim.

I'm certain there were checklists for multiple exams. Maybe this is something that LEOP gave out? Not like you needed it, didn't you Amjur K's?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I'm certain there were checklists for multiple exams. Maybe this is something that LEOP gave out? Not like you needed it, didn't you Amjur K's?

Nope, no checklists were given out to people outside of LEOP. I did cali it, which is why I said that I cited cases.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”