Help

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LawlStoodent

Help

Postby LawlStoodent » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:14 pm

hi all,

i recently found this forum board and wish i had come across ths sooner. however, what is done is now done, so, oh, well.

either way here is my dillemma. i'm currently a 2nd year student at Catholic in DC. i have aout a 90% scholarship with no stipulation. because i went to undergrad on a full-tuition scholarship, my parents are covering the last 10% of my law school tuition and all of my living expenses. my worry is that after the first year, i have terrible grades ~ 2.2. i'm pretty much in last place in my class, i think. i had an unpaid summer internship last summer that i got from a family connection.

that said, i'm wondering what i should do. i had about 3 interviews so far this fall for this upcoming summer but have not gotten anything yet.

what should i do? should i drop out? should i continue on? what would you do in this situation?

Maximized

Re: Help

Postby Maximized » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:34 pm

2.2? I don't know anything about Catholic's curve but that's pretty rough. That being said, if you pulled a summer internship through your connections, could you also get a full-time job through that connection after graduation? From what I understand, grades only matter until you get your first job, and everything after that is reputation.

Unless you hate law school / the idea of working in the law and / or you have a better option waiting for you, I wouldn't drop out with a full scholarship like that. Then again, only you know why you decided to do this in the first place. Good luck!

LawlStoodent

Postby LawlStoodent » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Maximized wrote:2.2? I don't know anything about Catholic's curve but that's pretty rough. That being said, if you pulled a summer internship through your connections, could you also get a full-time job through that connection after graduation? From what I understand, grades only matter until you get your first job, and everything after that is reputation.

Unless you hate law school / the idea of working in the law and / or you have a better option waiting for you, I wouldn't drop out with a full scholarship like that. Then again, only you know why you decided to do this in the first place. Good luck!

thank you.. i'm really frekaing out. i want to be a lawyer. i do. i am just worried that these grades will banish me from employment forever. do employers after your first employer just disregard the grades/transcript after the first employment?

also, i cannot get a job at that firm this summer; i've already been denied, citing grades.

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:27 pm

LawlStoodent wrote:
Maximized wrote:2.2? I don't know anything about Catholic's curve but that's pretty rough. That being said, if you pulled a summer internship through your connections, could you also get a full-time job through that connection after graduation? From what I understand, grades only matter until you get your first job, and everything after that is reputation.

thank you.. i'm really frekaing out. i want to be a lawyer. i do. i am just worried that these grades will banish me from employment forever. do employers after your first employer just disregard the grades/transcript after the first employment?

also, i cannot get a job at that firm this summer; i've already been denied, citing grades.
I'm afraid I haven't the slightest idea about that. My recommendation, given your goals, is to do whatever it takes to bring your grades up, then re-assess.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”