Advice - Withdrawing from a class this late due to illness?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Should I withdraw from an intensive 4 credit Property Course in November due to illness?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 4

kd87

Advice - Withdrawing from a class this late due to illness?

Postby kd87 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:52 am

Hey all -

I'm a 1L. Top 100, quality state school. I wanted to practice in my state and only applied here. Love my school.

I was hospitalized with severe mononucleosis in mid-August, just two weeks before classes started. My doctors told me I should defer, or at least take a reduced course load, as did my law school. I'm stubborn and I'm currently enrolled in 16 credits.

Of course, I have been dragging throughout the semester as my energy levels never returned to normal. I haven't been able to get back to the gym, etc. I have to get many hours of sleep per night to be able to function, and can't rely on caffeine as my body doesn't react to it the same as it used to. Unfortunately, over the last week my fever returned and my doctor believes the illness has "reactivated", or that it never fully went away as I've been dragging on and on. My days have included literally 14-16 hours of sleep. It's not good. I have an undergrad degree in paralegal studies and without that, I wouldn't have been able to make it this far.

I missed a lot of class last week/this week and scheduled an appt. with the student affairs office. I wanted to look into recording classes so I could rest more, but they strongly suggested I withdraw from the course that is the most time intensive, so my other grades don't suffer too much (apparently they only allow it this late for medical reasons). I was told I'll get a W on my transcript, and it may also show up "without penalty". She said I could tell employers on cover letters/ in interviews it was for medical reasons. In my mind, I'm thinking they'll be like, oh she got sick and couldn't handle it...what happens when she gets sick as our employee?

I know I've NEVER been this sick, I'm constantly frustrated about how debilitating this illness is. Weakness is normal for me now and the fever returning this late, right as I should be studying, is so scary. I CAN'T focus when I have a fever. Dizziness abounds.

I'm going back and forth about whether to do this. I feel like a such a massive failure withdrawing from a course this late. Especially the course that is/was the most time intensive as I've spent the most time in it this semester (Property). My other option is Con Law, (both classes are 4 credits). However, my Con Law prof has been sick, too, and the class has been at a slower pace than normal Con Law courses.

My biggest fear is that even with four classes, my grades will still suffer and then I'll feel like an idiot for withdrawing from Property to "lessen my load". How could I explain THAT to employers? It's one thing to drop one and get high grades in all four, but dropping one with lower grades in all four would not look good, at all. Plus, I'd have to go through it again next Fall, when I'm 2/3 done with this semester! I started outlining last night and really feel like I can't do Property as my mind and body is too exhausted to take all this information in.... But, I know that is probably a common feeling of 1Ls. Mono complicates things further and I'm trying to be realistic.

Any insight is appreciated. This is a tough decision and either way I feel like I'm losing out. Part of me wishes I would've deferred for a year.

Gorki

Re: Advice - Withdrawing from a class this late due to illness?

Postby Gorki » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:46 am

Dropping a class during 1L at this point will seriously screw you over. As much as you can talk it up to an employer, they can only judge you on the few classes you completed, whilst every other classmate will have completed all the coursework. If you knew about this since August, the mono rationale will be very very weak to employers... They will wonder why you went into this when you were given advice to defer...

I would get some supplements and just try your best. Talk to your schools offices as you planned.

Personally your own fear "oh she got sick and couldn't handle it...what happens when she gets sick as our employee?" is what I imagine is going to come to mind.

kd87

Postby kd87 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Gorki wrote:Dropping a class during 1L at this point will seriously screw you over. As much as you can talk it up to an employer, they can only judge you on the few classes you completed, whilst every other classmate will have completed all the coursework. If you knew about this since August, the mono rationale will be very very weak to employers... They will wonder why you went into this when you were given advice to defer...

I would get some supplements and just try your best. Talk to your schools offices as you planned.

Personally your own fear "oh she got sick and couldn't handle it...what happens when she gets sick as our employee?" is what I imagine is going to come to mind.

Thanks for your comments. My school is strongly recommending that I focus on four classes, as opposed to five. They have dealt with other students with severe mono cases and have seen drops in performance. The concern is that if I do not rest enough, I could become more ill and do poorly.

The rationale is that 4 higher grades will probably appear better than 5 lower grades, even with a W thrown in. The career advisor I also spoke with re-affirmed this. I can be specific on the cover letter/in an interview and discuss how the symptoms of the illness re-appeared in early November. Luckily, I am not interested in Big Law and I've been thinking my 1L summer will probably be in an area of public interest law. I also have a large network of attorneys with my former professional experience and my undergrad work in paralegal studies.

Has anyone here been in this situation? I'm told it is rare, but it does happen. Such a big decision, I know! Maybe I could pull it off, but IF my symptoms get any worse or don't let up soon, it would be near impossible. Being feverish for ten days straight has seriously messed up my exam preparation; it has been non-existent as I've just been keeping up with reading assignments.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:52 pm

This is an issue that a herd of e-strangers can't help you with nearly as much as your school's administration. 1L grades can be pretty important; I highly doubt a dropped class with an explanation like severe illness will itself present an issue to an employer.

But this is 1L, so don't for a second think that dropping a class will automatically give you better grades in the other 4. I mean maybe... but people with their nose to the grindstone from day 1 often still feel perplexed by their grades relative to their effort and perceived understanding of the material. You probably have better odds with less on your plate, but the calculus can't be that specific in law school and especially as a first semester 1L.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Based on what you have described, it sounds like there is little possibility for you to kill exams, regardless of whether you drop one class. Because of that, I would strongly recommend withdrawing from all your classes and starting again next year. First year grades are too important. Yes, you would have Ws on your transcript, but as long as you came back and did well next year, you could explain you had mono and had no choice.

kd87

Postby kd87 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:This is an issue that a herd of e-strangers can't help you with nearly as much as your school's administration. 1L grades can be pretty important; I highly doubt a dropped class with an explanation like severe illness will itself present an issue to an employer.

But this is 1L, so don't for a second think that dropping a class will automatically give you better grades in the other 4. I mean maybe... but people with their nose to the grindstone from day 1 often still feel perplexed by their grades relative to their effort and perceived understanding of the material. You probably have better odds with less on your plate, but the calculus can't be that specific in law school and especially as a first semester 1L.

Definitely, I see what you are saying. I feel that the administration is right, but I am so stubborn. If only I listened to them at the beginning of the semester!

I know that dropping won't automatically give me better grades in the other 4 classes. However, dropping one (especially Property) will provide me with a considerable amount of time that I can use to rest and focus on the other classes. Chances are, it will help me out (providing I don't become more ill!). I will probably get an A/A- in Legal Writing, based upon my grades already in that course (only course with grades, thus far), and most likely in Civ Pro, too, which is our only take home and there are tons of model answers I've been keeping in mind while taking notes this semester. My other two classes are Con Law (closed book) and Legis & Admin (open outline/book). I've "gotten" Con Law since day one. I remember the cases well; I've always understood the Prof's line of questioning. I do o.k. on the Legis & Admin hypos, but with some flow charts and checklists, I feel relatively confident about that exam.

@ somewhatwayard, If I didn't have a background in law, I would have withdrawn a long time ago and deferred to next Fall....no doubt in my mind about that!

Thanks for everyone's input!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:45 pm

kd87 wrote:I will probably get an A/A- in Legal Writing . . . and most likely in Civ Pro, too,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes I forget how adorable 1Ls are.

kd87

Postby kd87 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:21 pm

thesealocust wrote:
kd87 wrote:I will probably get an A/A- in Legal Writing . . . and most likely in Civ Pro, too,

Disrespectful and condescending. I agree that most individuals do not perform as well as they would expect to, but don't assume I am that naive. I have a a background in Civil Litigation. I have written many motions for attorneys and as such, I do just fine in class. The exam is take home and if I don't get an A in that class, I should drop out of law school. You omitted my reasons for my grade prediction in Legal Writing; I already have received grades back from memos and I'm right on target. Therefore, it would be UNreasonable to assume that I won't receive A's in those two classes.

Anyways, this thread is closed and my time spent here is done. Quite frankly, I was disturbed to see that forum members with avatars with burritos and messages about killing the President are entering into the legal profession.

The legal profession I know and love is filled with respect, professionalism and camaraderie. I ended up speaking with a few attorneys today and I'm confident that I'm making the right decision for me; if anything, I discovered this was actually a great opportunity in disguise for networking and lining up some interesting summer options!

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:38 pm

kd87 wrote: Quite frankly, I was disturbed to see that forum members with avatars with burritos and messages about killing the President are entering into the legal profession.

u seem dumb

Postby 071816 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:44 pm

kd87 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

Disrespectful and condescending. I agree that most individuals do not perform as well as they would expect to, but don't assume I am that naive. I have a a background in Civil Litigation. I have written many motions for attorneys and as such, I do just fine in class. The exam is take home and if I don't get an A in that class, I should drop out of law school. You omitted my reasons for my grade prediction in Legal Writing; I already have received grades back from memos and I'm right on target. Therefore, it would be UNreasonable to assume that I won't receive A's in those two classes.

Anyways, this thread is closed and my time spent here is done. Quite frankly, I was disturbed to see that forum members with avatars with burritos and messages about killing the President are entering into the legal profession.

The legal profession I know and love is filled with respect, professionalism and camaraderie. I ended up speaking with a few attorneys today and I'm confident that I'm making the right decision for me; if anything, I discovered this was actually a great opportunity in disguise for networking and lining up some interesting summer options!

you're an idiot

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:10 pm

kd87 wrote:Quite frankly, I was disturbed to see that forum members with avatars with burritos are entering into the legal profession.

This made my day.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:32 pm

somewhatwayward wrote: First year grades are too important. Yes, you would have Ws on your transcript, but as long as you came back and did well next year, you could explain you had mono and had no choice.

I entered 1L last fall and took a leave of absence mid-way b/c of extenuating medical reasons. I have not looked at my transcript yet, but if there are a bunch of Ws for Fall 2011, how screwed will I be in the job search? Will this be a giant red flag? (not interested in big law)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”