Easiest Areas of Practice

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
barestin
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby barestin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:51 pm

I'm assuming the easiest areas of practice in ShitLaw include Personal Injury, Family, and Estate Planning. Anything else?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:10 pm

birdlaw

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby I.P. Daly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Space law.

User avatar
Rawlberto
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby Rawlberto » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Lawl Law.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby nickb285 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:03 pm

International sports law.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2588
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby androstan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:44 pm

IBR, bankruptcy, and welfare law.

Jimbo_Jones
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:55 pm

Your mom law

User avatar
The Platypus
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:59 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby The Platypus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Judge Judy law

Gorki
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby Gorki » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:14 am

Sure, negligence and PI work is "easy" to set up a claim... But say hello to jurisdictional walls on recovery that virtually every state in the country has put up: mandatory arbitration, tort reform, insurance caps, etc.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby cynthiad » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:30 am

nickb285 wrote:International sports law.


I actually know someone who does this.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:32 am

Politics.

User avatar
jkpolk
Posts: 896
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby jkpolk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:47 am

Jimbo_Jones wrote:Your mom law


TCR, TSO EASY

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby dkb17xzx » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:27 am

The Platypus wrote:Judge Judy law


Juggs Judy Law

User avatar
barestin
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby barestin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 am

Anyone have any real suggestions?

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:09 am

barestin wrote:Anyone have any real suggestions?


None of the areas you listed are necessarily "easy." PI law is not bad if the firm is only going after settlements, but PI trials are no joke. The attorney has to be a skilled litigator.

Family law is definitely not easy. Not only do you have to deal with the emotional peculiarities of clients, but family law is complex and wide ranging. Family law attornies should be familiar with everything from prenups, child custody to complex tax issues.

Estate planning also involves a wide range of law and potentially complex tax issues.

Real estate closings and bill collection are generally not terribly difficult.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:19 pm

Your assumptions are flawed

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm

If there was a such thing as an "easy" area of law that paid money, there would be 20,000 people fighting you for that job.

Miller32
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby Miller32 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Collections law, or creditor's rights, comes to mind. A skilled monkey could do at least 90% of the work.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby dingbat » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:46 pm

I.P. Daly wrote:Estate planning also involves a wide range of law and potentially complex tax issues.

I'll second that from experience - at the high net worth end, there are some pretty sophisticated financial products that rely on any of a number of legal technicalities that are can be particularly attractive, but may rely on flawed analysis (just google Frozen Cash Value life insurance and see if you can make heads or tails out of it).

Proper estate planning requires knowledge of trust law, inheritance law, insurance law, tax law, and more. Not only that, you need familiarity with laws in different states (and possibly different countries) and how to take advantage of the most favorable regulations.

portaprokoss
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:40 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby portaprokoss » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Some partners become rainmakers and take on more and more ambitious and complex matters and others become more and more efficient at doing associate-level work. For instance, I know a well-paid partner who just reviews leases, that's it. But she reviews a 60 page lease in about 10 minutes without ever making a mistake or missing anything. It's savant-ish eeriness. Her output equals the output of the 5 associates in the group, but she also checks their work. She says her job is easy and she never seems stressed.

So I think you can get really, really efficient (so efficient it doesn't make sense to ask you to take on more responsibility) at doing associate-level work and then your job will eventually become easy.

User avatar
ph14
Posts: 3225
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby ph14 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:53 pm

dingbat wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:Estate planning also involves a wide range of law and potentially complex tax issues.

I'll second that from experience - at the high net worth end, there are some pretty sophisticated financial products that rely on any of a number of legal technicalities that are can be particularly attractive, but may rely on flawed analysis (just google Frozen Cash Value life insurance and see if you can make heads or tails out of it).

Proper estate planning requires knowledge of trust law, inheritance law, insurance law, tax law, and more. Not only that, you need familiarity with laws in different states (and possibly different countries) and how to take advantage of the most favorable regulations.


Not to mention that will, trust, and estate law is currently evolving pretty rapidly. It's also one of the legal areas with most malpractice lawsuits, suggesting it is more complex than you might think.

User avatar
SuperCerealBrah
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:54 pm

ph14 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:Estate planning also involves a wide range of law and potentially complex tax issues.

I'll second that from experience - at the high net worth end, there are some pretty sophisticated financial products that rely on any of a number of legal technicalities that are can be particularly attractive, but may rely on flawed analysis (just google Frozen Cash Value life insurance and see if you can make heads or tails out of it).

Proper estate planning requires knowledge of trust law, inheritance law, insurance law, tax law, and more. Not only that, you need familiarity with laws in different states (and possibly different countries) and how to take advantage of the most favorable regulations.


Not to mention that will, trust, and estate law is currently evolving pretty rapidly. It's also one of the legal areas with most malpractice lawsuits, suggesting it is more complex than you might think.


Yea, estate planning can be incredibly complex. Anybody saying otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby Mick Haller » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

estate planners need advanced study in Tax, most young attorneys in this field are expected to have an LLM

I think from a legal standpoint, Divorce law is probably not very complicated with almost all states having no-fault, but from an emotional/stress level standpoint, it's likely to be very taxing.
Last edited by Mick Haller on Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
nickb285
Posts: 1500
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby nickb285 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 pm

cynthiad wrote:I actually know someone who does this.


Interest piqued.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Easiest Areas of Practice

Postby Bronte » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 pm

barestin wrote:Anyone have any real suggestions?


Your question doesn't make much sense. To the extent it does make sense, you're asking the wrong question.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests