Study plan for finals? Critique? Pointers/Suggestions?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rishabhagny

Study plan for finals? Critique? Pointers/Suggestions?

Postby rishabhagny » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:07 pm

All of my finals are closed book, so memorization is key. When I take notes during class I have been using my computer. I write down my notes on cases on the left column and what the professor says on the right, then anything that doesn't pertain directly to the case in a different document (almost in an outline-like structure).

The time has come to gear up for finals and I have sort of a plan together but I am unsure about how to tackle creating great outlines that will help me memorize and do well on finals.

Study Plan For Finals
1. Spend 5-6 days per class in reverse order, according to finals.
- i.e., order of finals: Civ Pro, Crim, Torts, Ks; order to study them in: Ks, Torts, Crim, Civ Pro.

2. Days 1-2 per class: Spend the first couple days reading through my notes and outlines for understanding and turning to E&Es/Black Letter Outlines for supplementary stuff if I don't understand something.

3. Days 3-4 per class: Begin condensing outlines and notes into something more concise.

4. Days 5-6 per class: Again, condense outlines into something smaller and capable of being easily memorized (10-15 pages), and begin practice questions/exams (from E&Es, previous exams, etc.).

Then, start the process all over again for another class.

My main focus is to first build my own outlines and not to look at other outlines already published on the internet. Then, turn to them to see if I have hit all the major points (according to what my professor has taught).

How does this plan jive with some of your own? Do you see anywhere that I can improve? Should I make any changes?

Thanks.

Oglethorpe

Re: Study plan for finals? Critique? Pointers/Suggestions?

Postby Oglethorpe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:58 pm

First, I like to make an outline of the BLL only. Use supplements for this (I don't know how people can just use cases and class notes for statements of the BLL). Then, or at the same time, insert cases under the appropriate rules as examples of rule application. Also, memorize a short version of your outline so that you can write it down on scrap paper during your exam. Use this as your checklist.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:11 pm

I agree with Oglethorpe, but will add a little more detail.

First, study in same order as finals - why study last final first? It will be least fresh in your mind.

As to condensing, your final “outline” is fine if it is 20 pages - something you can read through entirely in 20 minutes, 3 times an hour.

Condense instead into a bare-bones single page hand-written outline you will memorize and write down immediately once your final begins. It will list all major topics, all major rules / defenses (as applicable) and their elements. You will memorize this using pneumonic devices and frantic repetition, so you can write it out without thinking as soon as the proctor says GO, even if your brain freezes. Memorize not only the words, but how it LOOKS on the page. Use dirty pneumonic devices or goofy ones – you’ll remember them better. Use all the space on the single page, major chapter headings on the left, sub chapters on the right and bottom, etc., whatever – every major topic in your outline should appear. You will be AMAZED at how this helps you recall everything in your 20 page outline. I walked into the exam with like 5-7 different little poems I was repeating to myself over and over (and over) as I waited for the exam to being. Then, I wrote it all down first thing on a blank sheet of paper. Then I sighed in relief because I just brought my entire outline into a closed book exam.

Good luck.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:18 pm

First, don't try and think you'll be able to do all this on a hard schedule. At some point or another, one of these will take longer (or shorter) than expected, or something will come up. Don't let that stress you out. Pace yourself.

Second, don't be afraid to use old outlines as a starting point. They can be invaluable to see how other people organized the "big picture," and they could save you literally hours of time per class.

Third, all I see you talking about is rules (outlining), when the most important part of studying is learning how to apply these rules. Knowing the rules will get you a mediocre grade, knowing how to apply them will get you where you likely want to be.You need to utilize some combination of E&E's, CALI lessons, and practice exams from your professor.

Finally, I'd squeeze in skimming "Getting to Maybe" or "The Eight Secrets of Top Exam Performance in Law School" over Thanksgiving break. I'd prefer the 8 Secrets book because it's a quick read, less dense, and will really give you insight on how to organize/translate what's in your outline into a solid exam answer.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:17 am

You mean an attack plan?

The only feasible finals attack plan that comes to mind for Thanksgiving weekend is the one where I attack the turkey first!

mrwhoppers

Postby mrwhoppers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:23 am

learn black letter law in 2-3 days; take a couple practice tests per day while reviewing/memorizing BLL during the next couple days. distilling your longer outline/notes into one you're capable of memorizing shouldn't take more than half a day.

rishabhagny

Postby rishabhagny » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Classes like Torts and Crim with clear BLL will be simpler to outline, but Ks.. what a pain in the ass.

Oglethorpe

Postby Oglethorpe » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:37 pm

rishabhagny wrote:Thanks for the tips guys. Classes like Torts and Crim with clear BLL will be simpler to outline, but Ks.. what a pain in the ass.

Ks E&E worked for me. Just try to synthesize and supplement E&E BLL with your professor's view/focus.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”