OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jsa725

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:29 pm

I'm up to 1,000 words per 20 minutes. Thank goodness I was such a computer nerd growing up.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:52 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:I'm up to 1,000 words per 20 minutes. Thank goodness I was such a computer nerd growing up.

Ok thats insane. :shock: and I was happy at doing ~3200 in 2 hours today haha!

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 pm

How are you memorizing BLL?

brotherdarkness wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:I'm up to 1,000 words per 20 minutes. Thank goodness I was such a computer nerd growing up.

From what I've heard, two of my three doctrinal exams will favor word-vomit. How many words are you guys hoping to get out, in total, on your exams?

Honestly, when I wrote my property exam, I wrote until my hands bled. I used a quick LEEWS version to just get every issue as possible. My K professor wants about ~10-12 pages in 4 hours, so that's not bad. Except he hates "A would argue. On the other hand, B would argue." So no LEEWS, IRAC that mother fucker.

Guys, listen to Arrow's advice when he says type out your mini outlines OVER AND OVER. It's helping me memorize everything so well.

And don't worry about small typos. TYPE TILL IT HURTS!

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:32 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
SportsFan wrote:

From what I've heard, two of my three doctrinal exams will favor word-vomit. How many words are you guys hoping to get out, in total, on your exams?

I'm doing 1400-1600 words an hour right now. If I do 1600 an hour (leading to ~4800 on a 3 hour exam) on the actual exam, I won't be unhappy, but I'm aiming to get up to 2000 if I can.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:56 am

sup yall? Mind if I jump in?

I did 1100 words in 70 minutes on a non-vomit question the other day

I worked up to 600/20 minutes in one of my vomit classes

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:25 am

First PT tomorrow... I've got six ready to go for Civ.Pro., three for Contracts (plus the ones in JSA's much-appreciated link), three for Torts (plus some from another link), and not a damn thing for Leg.Reg. Time to crush it.

First final is a week from Tuesday. CSWS

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:28 am

Finished my first contracts PT. Rocked it. Got ~75% of the issues with good analysis. Finished in time. I typed 4,000 words, so that needs to increase. But overall, CSWS BABY. Gon' do a few Siegel's. Fuck sleep.

I get so mad at myself when I see the issues I missed afterwards. !!! No matter, it teaches us to spot them in the future.

Keep plugging, boys.

renardthecrocs

Postby renardthecrocs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 am

Maybe I'm going against the grain here and it doesn't even matter for my upcoming exams (take-home with strict word limit, multiple choice, etc., no typical issue spotters), but I spent a lot of time thinking my fast typing speed would significantly help me during the first exams I took (I'm 1 semester in), and it didn't. Besides people who hand wrote (lolwut), a lot of my classmates and I compared word counts after the exam and we were all somewhere in the 8,000 range for a 3.5 hour exam, which produced pretty disparate grades at the end.

TL;DR Don't practice your typing speed just to practice your typing speed.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:46 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Finished my first contracts PT. Rocked it. Got ~75% of the issues with good analysis. Finished in time. I typed 4,000 words, so that needs to increase. But overall, CSWS BABY. Gon' do a few Siegel's. Fuck sleep.

I get so mad at myself when I see the issues I missed afterwards. !!! No matter, it teaches us to spot them in the future.

Keep plugging, boys.

Shit 4,000 words? How long were you writing?

I'm getting only 1800 for an hour and a half exam. I may be in trouble

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:04 pm

mr.hands wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Finished my first contracts PT. Rocked it. Got ~75% of the issues with good analysis. Finished in time. I typed 4,000 words, so that needs to increase. But overall, CSWS BABY. Gon' do a few Siegel's. Fuck sleep.

Keep plugging, boys.

~1200 an hour? I don't think thats terrible (but what do I know!). I think you should try to be more efficient with your time, though. Are you finding that you're spending too much time sitting there spotting issues? Or is it analyzing them and thinking of the proper rules? Or... anything really. Just try to find whats causing you to be inefficient, and work on improving that. I think the obsession with word count is because so many professors just grade based on giving points for things, so naturally, writing more things that could potentially give points is seen as a good thing. If you can fit a great analysis into 1200 words, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you find that at the end there are still issues you wanted to analyze more, or you just didn't have time to get to, then you should probably change something.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:17 pm

SportsFan wrote:
mr.hands wrote:

Keep plugging, boys.

~1200 an hour? I don't think thats terrible (but what do I know!). I think you should try to be more efficient with your time, though. Are you finding that you're spending too much time sitting there spotting issues? Or is it analyzing them and thinking of the proper rules? Or... anything really. Just try to find whats causing you to be inefficient, and work on improving that. I think the obsession with word count is because so many professors just grade based on giving points for things, so naturally, writing more things that could potentially give points is seen as a good thing. If you can fit a great analysis into 1200 words, I wouldn't worry about it. But if you find that at the end there are still issues you wanted to analyze more, or you just didn't have time to get to, then you should probably change something.

Yeah i was trying to spend 20% of my time spotting issues, reading, and sketching an outline of the answer. Freer suggests you spend 25% doing that and the guy who wrote "8 secrets of exam performance" (or whatever it's called), said spend 1/3.

I'm not really sure though. I don't want to be the guy who has 1/2 as much written as everyone else

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:24 pm

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:21 pm

mr.hands wrote:
Yeah i was trying to spend 20% of my time spotting issues, reading, and sketching an outline of the answer. Freer suggests you spend 25% doing that and the guy who wrote "8 secrets of exam performance" (or whatever it's called), said spend 1/3.

I'm not really sure though. I don't want to be the guy who has 1/2 as much written as everyone else

A lot depends on the exam, professor's grading style, and personal preference. But if you're taking a pure issue spotter race, spending anything more than a few minutes organizing your thoughts (after reading the question carefully, of course) is going to be a waste of time.

Then again, if the professor likes things short and sweet, it's more than appropriate to take a long time.

At UVA, I think more professors tend towards the former than the latter, and I think 25% to 33% is probably more than any person can afford to take.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:54 pm

It depends on the test. As you complete more and more tests, you develop a discipline. On the 4,000 word final I typed, the A+ paper was 3900 words. So, it really depends on your professor. Just get that discipline down!

Edit: I'm exhausted, but I love this.

And when this garbage is all over, we gon' drink. Oh hell yeah, we gon' drink.
Last edited by LetsGoLAW on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:55 pm

You all should check this out when you have a moment

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199175

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm

Taking a K's exam..... sucks.

I enjoy Civ Pro

haven't really started Torts prep

why couldn't I have won the lotto?

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm

took a crim exam just now with 4300 words in 2 hours. Though I didn't really follow LEEWS outline structure except to just get going (game myself of 20 mins of only-outline time since we have that on the real exam), and kind of did it on the fly. This may have been my mistake because the issues where just poppin at me, but I also feel that Ugly But Effective method would just waste my time in things that I already had in my mind. Maybe I am one of the few who think excessive outlining is much? Once you write down the issues, I think that may be all you need.

In any case, anyone want to critique a portion of my crim essay?

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Raiden wrote:took a crim exam just now with 4300 words in 2 hours. Though I didn't really follow LEEWS outline structure except to just get going (game myself of 20 mins of only-outline time since we have that on the real exam), and kind of did it on the fly. This may have been my mistake because the issues where just poppin at me, but I also feel that Ugly But Effective method would just waste my time in things that I already had in my mind. Maybe I am one of the few who think excessive outlining is much? Once you write down the issues, I think that may be all you need.

In any case, anyone want to critique a portion of my crim essay?

Hey bro. PM me because I am using the LEEWS method closely and am typing less words. Maybe we can find a middle ground.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:53 pm

What do you guys think about 15/20 minute questions? How long should we outline for those or should we just jump in? I feel like if I spent 5/15 minutes outlining im screwed.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:56 pm

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Just wondering, what exactly do you guys do when you're outlining an answer? I've been basically reading through exam questions, underlining what I think are key facts, writing in some margin notes (like for torts, I'll write in "breach" or "proximate cause?" or "product liability" or whatever), and then I get started writing. I guess it helps that none of my exams have hypos that are longer than 2.5 pages so I've never really felt the need to go crazy outlining an answer, but I think it could help. If I do decide to outline my answers, should I be handwriting or typing (not 100% sure how the exam software works so I don't wanna type out an outline if I won't be able to quickly refer back to it or delete it at the end or w/e)?
Blumpbeef wrote:What do you guys think about 15/20 minute questions? How long should we outline for those or should we just jump in? I feel like if I spent 5/15 minutes outlining im screwed.

My civ pro exam is sort of like this, where the professor doesn't ask any long/overwhelming questions but breaks it up into a bunch of 15-40 minute questions. I'm not gonna bother outlining of those since frankly its unnecessary IMO.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”