OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Went hard yesterday. My parents dropped off food for me at my apt, so I did not completely miss out on Thanksgiving :). I will also be going hard today and tomorrow. Although, I am considering watching the ND game.

Trying to hit dat 70+ hour week this week, and I am on pace to do so.

CSWS

NO REGRETS

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:58 pm

My finals are the 10th (Contracts), 14th (Torts), and 20th (Civ Pro). Definitely the most worried about torts. I'm thinking I may just stop studying for civ pro after like another 2 or 3 days until after the 14th, since that will still give me 5 full days to only worry about civ pro. Hm...

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:05 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mushybrain
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mushybrain » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Anyone have recs for CivPro practice exams? My professor likes to do one long hypo, and marks the rulings along the way. Then we are to address each ruling in turn. I looked over them and quickly realized that the practice exams we have for him are all from when CivPro was split across two semesters and there's nothing posted from Spring, so the exams go more in-depth about things we barely covered, and are obviously missing major topics entirely. On one hand, I'm glad I realized that because I was looking at some of it like "he barely mentioned this!" but on the other hand the available practice exams specific to my professor are not really that helpful given the changes in the course since those were administered.

So, anyone have recommendations for practice exams that are appropriate for a one-semester CivPro course? I've been doing E&E problems which seem pretty helpful for his exam type where he kindly splits it out by ruling but would like full exams to try too.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby minnbills » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Civ pro day today, want to get my attack outline done.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Done with my Civ pro and Torts outlines. Should I be worried if I don't have my crim law outline done yet and the exam is on the 19th?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Ohiobumpkin wrote:Done with my Civ pro and Torts outlines. Should I be worried if I don't have my crim law outline done yet and the exam is on the 19th?

Unless you mean the 19th of November ( :wink: ), no, not at all.

User avatar
Ohiobumpkin
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:51 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Ohiobumpkin wrote:Done with my Civ pro and Torts outlines. Should I be worried if I don't have my crim law outline done yet and the exam is on the 19th?

Unless you mean the 19th of November ( :wink: ), no, not at all.


That would be awkward given it's the 23rd and all :lol: .

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:59 pm

I have a torts closed book exam, and the fact pattern is a clusterfuck even it would give Wentworth Miller nightmares. Anyone have any suggestions for handling this? I have a solid grasp of torts premises, but I took one of the PT and it was just mean.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:14 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goaheadualright
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby goaheadualright » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Jsa725 wrote:cali lessons, EE's, PT's and siegels, etc... VS. making flash cards?


Do half of the hypos (everything you listed except flash cards) first to see what areas you could use a few flash cards on, then practice with flash cards and do the other half of your available hypos?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:24 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goaheadualright
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby goaheadualright » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
yeah, i just have a friend in my section, who is following about 10 others, that are totally focusing in on flash cards etc... and not even looking at hypos etc... dont know if i should say anything or just let him learn the material how he needs to.


You should encourage him to continue with the flash cards, especially ones that focus on the facts and procedural history of the case. It might add to legitimacy if you make a few of your own & put them in visible places for others to see.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:11 pm

goaheadualright wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
yeah, i just have a friend in my section, who is following about 10 others, that are totally focusing in on flash cards etc... and not even looking at hypos etc... dont know if i should say anything or just let him learn the material how he needs to.


You should encourage him to continue with the flash cards, especially ones that focus on the facts and procedural history of the case. It might add to legitimacy if you make a few of your own & put them in visible places for others to see.


180

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:16 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Crap day of studying. fml.

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby thelong » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:52 pm

gaud wrote:Crap day of studying. fml.


Yep.

I kind of expected that break would be like this. While I have managed to make some good outlining progress, the only real thing I managed to accomplish today was just getting most of next week's reading out of the way. For whatever reason, it's just easier to sit down and read than it is to input substantive information into any sort of logical framework.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:05 pm

I will agree with you bros, today has just not gone as planned.

FML :(

The only good thing is, I know if we are having a crap day grinding then everyone most likely is as well! :twisted:

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 pm

swimmer11 wrote:if we are having a crap day grinding then everyone most likely is as well! :twisted:


I sure hope so lol

User avatar
Maximized
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Maximized » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Checking in brahs. Ready to finish this Torts outline!!! Only a few topics left, so I thought I'd ask if you fine people have any pointers on organizing it? We're not covering intentional torts or a few other things, so my outline is essentially:

Duty, Breach, Causation, Injury, Res Ipsa Loquitur, Negligence Per Se, Damages, Vicarious Liability, Joint and Several Liability, Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress, Negating Defenses, Affirmative Defenses, Ultrahazardous Activities - Strict Liability, and Products Liability - Strict Liability

Thing is, they're really just headers, with no genuine flow throughout, in contrast to what I had for Civ.Pro. and Contracts. Any suggestions?

User avatar
MrSparkle
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby MrSparkle » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Maximized wrote:Checking in brahs. Ready to finish this Torts outline!!! Only a few topics left, so I thought I'd ask if you fine people have any pointers on organizing it? We're not covering intentional torts or a few other things, so my outline is essentially:

Duty, Breach, Causation, Injury, Res Ipsa Loquitur, Negligence Per Se, Damages, Vicarious Liability, Joint and Several Liability, Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress, Negating Defenses, Affirmative Defenses, Ultrahazardous Activities - Strict Liability, and Products Liability - Strict Liability

Thing is, they're really just headers, with no genuine flow throughout, in contrast to what I had for Civ.Pro. and Contracts. Any suggestions?


Easiest perhaps is to just organize by however your casebook/syllabus does it, because you might more easily flip through/find things if you need it, by remembering where it was in the course. There's no real flow to torts in my mind, beyond the 4 elements. Everything else is just some kind of special negligence case or special strict liability case that is fact specific.

User avatar
Maximized
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Maximized » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:28 pm

MrSparkle wrote:
Maximized wrote:Checking in brahs. Ready to finish this Torts outline!!! Only a few topics left, so I thought I'd ask if you fine people have any pointers on organizing it? We're not covering intentional torts or a few other things, so my outline is essentially:

Duty, Breach, Causation, Injury, Res Ipsa Loquitur, Negligence Per Se, Damages, Vicarious Liability, Joint and Several Liability, Negligent Infliction of Emotional Distress, Negating Defenses, Affirmative Defenses, Ultrahazardous Activities - Strict Liability, and Products Liability - Strict Liability

Thing is, they're really just headers, with no genuine flow throughout, in contrast to what I had for Civ.Pro. and Contracts. Any suggestions?


Easiest perhaps is to just organize by however your casebook/syllabus does it, because you might more easily flip through/find things if you need it, by remembering where it was in the course. There's no real flow to torts in my mind, beyond the 4 elements. Everything else is just some kind of special negligence case or special strict liability case that is fact specific.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I did... It just seems as if there could be some more logical grouping. Oh well. Thanks!

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:04 am

Have been going through a K final exam with a checklist, I now see how it is very easy to lose points.

One of the questions had to do with seller breach/ buyer remedies.

A had to deliver 500 soles of shoes to B, A breached the contract and did not deliver the shoes to B, B was able to cover for 250 left/right soles from C. It seemed like a straight forward UCC 2-712 and UCC 2-713 analysis.

However, earlier in the fact pattern, as on the first page, it was noted that 500 soles is trade usage for 250 left/right soles. Therefore, there were no UCC 2-713 damages! I thought that 500 soles naturally meant left/right soles. Unfortunately, that little question was worth a substantial amount in proportion to the other questions on the exam. My professor obviously thought the was going to catch people who missed the little details or whose mind was in a frenzy :twisted:

Unfortunately, I can see how even the most studious grinders could miss this question during the final exam due to time constraints, stress, etc. However, I hope my blunder serves as reminder to everyone to be calm, read the fact pattern closely, and understand that there might be deceptively easy questions, worth a lot of points, lurking on your final exam.

Do not trust any question 8)

STAY STRONG! CSWS!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:06 am

Sneaky sneaky. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for those tricks now! Thanks!

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby minnbills » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:19 am

I don't understand. 500 soles is 500 soles right? What am I missing?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest