OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Robert Paulson
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu May 09, 2013 3:56 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:when you guys are going through an issue, do you say: he did x, which meets the act requirement, he said y, which indicates mens rea, and there's z, which = whatever other element?

I kinda blew by the obvious issues last semester and it cost me - how do I fix that?


I wouldn't spend too much time addressing something if it is a non-issue. For crim I would just say something like "because D told the decedent he was going to kill him and fired the gun, a court will find that D acted with the intent to kill satisfying the requisite mens rea for murder." You can also throw in a counterargument and quickly dismiss it.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:For a racehorse exam, is it more credited to do a ton of hypos or just memorize and know the info cold?

Have you done one before? People in this thread seem to be militant practice test takers, but after you've done an exam like this before, I don't think it helps too much.

Right JamMasterJ?


I've been time pressured in exams before, but I always had time to address all the issues. I know the stuff well enough that I only need to reference my outline to remember a case name here and there, so I was wondering if writing answers mechanically would save more time or not having to ever look at my outline.

I think if you're above a certain threshold, you're either saving time by never having to look at your OL, or you're saving time by remembering how you analyzed a similar issue in a PT (assuming your prof goes through similar elements most of the time (my crim prof basically repeats the same general fact pattern every year).

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Thu May 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Writing competition is the dumbest shit ever.

Geaux12
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:56 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Geaux12 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm

Nelson wrote:Writing competition is the dumbest shit ever.



How am I supposed to prepare for the bluebook portion of this bitch?

User avatar
BuckinghamB
Posts: 457
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby BuckinghamB » Thu May 09, 2013 5:34 pm

DONE. Feels so good. Good luck to the rest of the grinders and congrats to those who are done. Waiting for these grades will be agonizing -- I felt like I could've bombed every test. I'll see ya'll in the grades waiting thread 8)

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby ru2486 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:42 pm

2/3 done. last exam on monday... oh God civpro.

Congrats to everybody who finished, i'm sure everybody here killed it! Good luck to those who still exams and write-ons!

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu May 09, 2013 6:01 pm

last exam tomorrow. never felt worse about a test before.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Thu May 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Geaux12 wrote:
Nelson wrote:Writing competition is the dumbest shit ever.

How am I supposed to prepare for the bluebook portion of this bitch?

I did absolutely nothing to prepare and felt like it went fine. Just remember that there's a rule for everything, look the type of source up in the index, then copy it straight from the book.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Pleasye » Thu May 09, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm pretty sure I failed property today.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu May 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Pleasye wrote:I'm pretty sure I failed property today.


I am sure everyone else felt that way.

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby hyakku » Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Pleasye wrote:I'm pretty sure I failed property today.


Do we go to the same school? Because I'm pretty sure I may have as well lmao. 6.5 pages, two issue spotters, one hour to do it with two other sections. Literally came out of the test lolling because the alternative was dying. That's done.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7957
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Pleasye » Thu May 09, 2013 7:57 pm

hyakku wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I'm pretty sure I failed property today.


Do we go to the same school? Because I'm pretty sure I may have as well lmao. 6.5 pages, two issue spotters, one hour to do it with two other sections. Literally came out of the test lolling because the alternative was dying. That's done.

Hahaha sounds like we don't. Ours was 2 hours of multiple choice and 1 hour of essay and it was just a disaster. I came out of mine wanting to cry.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Stress reliever for my homies on here:

http://www.rainymood.com/

while watching this infinite loop gif: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/598 ... 3a5d_o.gif

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu May 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Bronck wrote:Stress reliever for my homies on here:

http://www.rainymood.com/

while watching this infinite loop gif: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/598 ... 3a5d_o.gif


howd it go

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 pm

stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:Stress reliever for my homies on here:

http://www.rainymood.com/

while watching this infinite loop gif: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/598 ... 3a5d_o.gif


howd it go


Crim final of hell is tomorrow, but I'll report back after it happens.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu May 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Bronck wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Bronck wrote:Stress reliever for my homies on here:

http://www.rainymood.com/

while watching this infinite loop gif: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6004/598 ... 3a5d_o.gif


howd it go


Crim final of hell is tomorrow, but I'll report back after it happens.


mine is tomorrow as well. not looking forward to it.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm

hyakku wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I'm pretty sure I failed property today.


Do we go to the same school? Because I'm pretty sure I may have as well lmao. 6.5 pages, two issue spotters, one hour to do it with two other sections. Literally came out of the test lolling because the alternative was dying. That's done.


If I hadn't taken the hardest test ever on Monday, the test today would have made me ragequit. I was MAF when that "weakness" question came up. That case sucks.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:24 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
hyakku wrote:
Pleasye wrote:I'm pretty sure I failed property today.


Do we go to the same school? Because I'm pretty sure I may have as well lmao. 6.5 pages, two issue spotters, one hour to do it with two other sections. Literally came out of the test lolling because the alternative was dying. That's done.


If I hadn't taken the hardest test ever on Monday, the test today would have made me ragequit. I was MAF when that "weakness" question came up. That case sucks.

Whoa bro! Where have ya been!?


Had a mod ban me until the end of finals.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7299
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 pm

Oh it's Unam. Sup brah?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:44 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7159
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Got wrecked by finals, but feel better than last semester, so who knows. Starting write on in a couple days.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Unagi » Fri May 10, 2013 2:54 am

UnamSanctam wrote:Got wrecked by finals, but feel better than last semester, so who knows. Starting write on in a couple days.


Be prepared, it sucks.
Mine is due tomorrow. It's almost 2a.m., and I'm still doing the citations.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri May 10, 2013 7:20 am

Unagi wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:Got wrecked by finals, but feel better than last semester, so who knows. Starting write on in a couple days.


Be prepared, it sucks.
Mine is due tomorrow. It's almost 2a.m., and I'm still doing the citations.


Gaud help us

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Fri May 10, 2013 8:30 am

Almost time to get raped...




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests