OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Revised Open Memo due the 28th - Pretty much done with it.
My first exam is the 12th - Contracts - Open everything and anything I want.
17th -Torts - Closed book, very scared.
21st - Criminal Law - Open book, not concerned at all about it.

Who is with me grinding hard today??

CSWS

CreativityKing
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby CreativityKing » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:24 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Revised Open Memo due the 28th - Pretty much done with it.
My first exam is the 12th - Contracts - Open everything and anything I want.
17th -Torts - Closed book, very scared.
21st - Criminal Law - Open book, not concerned at all about it.

Who is with me grinding hard today??

CSWS


Working on a law review note right now. Does that count?

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:26 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:28 pm

CreativityKing wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Revised Open Memo due the 28th - Pretty much done with it.
My first exam is the 12th - Contracts - Open everything and anything I want.
17th -Torts - Closed book, very scared.
21st - Criminal Law - Open book, not concerned at all about it.

Who is with me grinding hard today??

CSWS


Working on a law review note right now. Does that count?


As a 1L?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Jsa725 wrote:sluggishly grinding today

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Jsa725 wrote:it begins 12/3/12...sluggishly grinding today; however, some work > no work. CSWS.


Absolutely! I followed your advice took a couple hours off last night to slam some Sierra Nevada Torpedoes and play a little Civ V (even though I was flipping through an E&E), and I feel much better. I will probably take a couple hours off again tonight to get ready for the final push.

CSWS

CreativityKing
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby CreativityKing » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:34 pm

swimmer11 wrote:
CreativityKing wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Revised Open Memo due the 28th - Pretty much done with it.
My first exam is the 12th - Contracts - Open everything and anything I want.
17th -Torts - Closed book, very scared.
21st - Criminal Law - Open book, not concerned at all about it.

Who is with me grinding hard today??

CSWS


Working on a law review note right now. Does that count?


As a 1L?


No. Just bitter and wanted to complain. Side note: after reading one page of this thread, I think literally every person in it is going to crush his/her exams (I am serious - you guys are far, far more diligent than I was last year).

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:35 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LetsGoLAW
Posts: 372
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:57 pm

Feeling good. Been following Arrows advice. Working well. Been pushing hard recently. Read Whitebread's book. Great pointers.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:06 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Let me make sure I have the gist of it:

1) Use lots of headings
2) New premise, new paragraph
3) Issue -> Rule -> Facts -> Policy (My professors all love policy except for Ks) -> Conclusion
4) 1 page checklists for each class
5) Show the professor you know the law wherever you can
6) Counter-analysis
7) Try and use every word in the fact pattern in your answers, the professors put the words there for a reason!
8) Follow dem forks
9)???
10) Blackout/Profit

User avatar
thelong
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby thelong » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Outlining on T-Day. feelsgoodman.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby minnbills » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:55 pm

alright took yesterday afternoon and this morning off, time to grind a bit before dinner.

goaheadualright
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:41 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby goaheadualright » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:01 pm

This thread truly is motivating. Is everyone done reading? If you are, did you just read it yourself even though it hasn't been taught yet or are you working on outlining/practicing everything else but the last bit of what you learn in class?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:03 pm

lol, taking thanksgiving off, only did 3 hours yesterday. To much family and friends!! Knew this whole going home thing was a bad idea. lol

User avatar
Raiden
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Raiden » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:52 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Let me make sure I have the gist of it:

1) Use lots of headings
2) New premise, new paragraph
3) Issue -> Rule -> Facts -> Policy (My professors all love policy except for Ks) -> Conclusion
4) 1 page checklists for each class
5) Show the professor you know the law wherever you can
6) Counter-analysis
7) Try and use every word in the fact pattern in your answers, the professors put the words there for a reason!
8) Follow dem forks
9)???
10) Blackout/Profit


Sounds solid, though one think I've learned from some of my profs is the importance of determining real issues. There are lots of issues on exams, and sure possible counter arguments, but sometimes its so obvious that the counterargument isn't really an argument worth mentioning.

So it seems important to find the real issues - team, how do you do this?

Maybe where the facts are condensed? Try to get a big picture?

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Raiden wrote:
swimmer11 wrote:Let me make sure I have the gist of it:

1) Use lots of headings
2) New premise, new paragraph
3) Issue -> Rule -> Facts -> Policy (My professors all love policy except for Ks) -> Conclusion
4) 1 page checklists for each class
5) Show the professor you know the law wherever you can
6) Counter-analysis
7) Try and use every word in the fact pattern in your answers, the professors put the words there for a reason!
8) Follow dem forks
9)???
10) Blackout/Profit


Sounds solid, though one think I've learned from some of my profs is the importance of determining real issues. There are lots of issues on exams, and sure possible counter arguments, but sometimes its so obvious that the counterargument isn't really an argument worth mentioning.

So it seems important to find the real issues - team, how do you do this?

Maybe where the facts are condensed? Try to get a big picture?


For which class bruh? I think real issues are different in each class. For example in torts a "real issue" would be negligence and whether the P was contributorily or comparatively negligent and whether you could hold D's employer vicariously liable. In Contracts a real issue could be if the parties intended on making the written agreement a complete integration for the purposes of the Parol Evidence rule. I think Criminal Law is kind of simple in that regard, the only thing I could possibly thing of would be attempt and if the D's actions constituted a "substantial step" (MPC) or if the D was "proximity close" (TL) to finishing the act.

Would love other opinions on this as well.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby minnbills » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Raiden wrote:
So it seems important to find the real issues - team, how do you do this?

Maybe where the facts are condensed? Try to get a big picture?


The real issue is the dispositive one- and the one the parties would likely focus their attention on. The most ambiguous one, etc.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Cowboys are getting embarrassed.... :oops: :cry:

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:18 pm

goaheadualright wrote:This thread truly is motivating. Is everyone done reading? If you are, did you just read it yourself even though it hasn't been taught yet or are you working on outlining/practicing everything else but the last bit of what you learn in class?


I went ahead and OLed the year. Now I take my OLs to class and mark them up while we go over new readings.

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:46 pm

It is Thanksgiving and all I have been doing is studying all day.

Oh well, CSWS!

User avatar
Maximized
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Maximized » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:47 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Stress is really getting to me bros. How are you guys handling it? Or are you guys even stressed out?
Not stressed in the least bro. My school's employment statistics are so-so, so there's a lot of pressure not to get median-pwned. That being said, the challenging is invigorating, and meeting each day's work head-on is extremely satisfying. No better feeling in the world than calling it a night after a full day of wrecking shop and knowing how few people can or will do the same. Mad respect to all you guys for putting yourselves through this. CSWS!!!

Also, looping this song at least one time out of ten while outlining Torts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqI-6xag8Mg

swimmer11
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby swimmer11 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:23 am

What is this burn out they talk about?? I grind all day and I love it.

CSWS UNTIL THE END

User avatar
Raiden
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Raiden » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:13 am

Yall are hardcore, lol, love it. I have been getting kind of distracted of the pressure, but then I remember, this is what we thrive for, this is the grind that we have to go through. It may suck now, but we must not give up. Give it our all, and if that doesn't work, then falling down isn't going to prevent us from getting back up.

oh, and I was looking at my crim exam, and just noticed that I was discussing some issues way more in length than I probably needed to given his model answer. I though my prof's answer was kind of clusury, but then I again, I was doing this test not under timed conditions...tough with the fam around, just getting the basics mastered. It seems like once you know how to pwn that outline, all else falls in place.

Though, question - do you all outline all the issues at once, or do you just list out the issues, do some analysis, then write, then go back and do some anlysis for the next issue, and then write. Or do you just do all the analysis in the beginning? I feel like the later approach may be too time consuming given you often look back at the fact pattern when writing

User avatar
Lacepiece23
Posts: 836
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Lacepiece23 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Lets get it going bros. Took a day off yesterday feel great today CSWS until finals are over. For everyone that worked str8 through yesterday it really helped me recharge to not think about law for at least one day.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests