OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stillwater

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Sat May 04, 2013 11:17 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Bronck wrote:I have no energy guys :( haven't even taken the first test yet

Me neither. I'm going straight cruise control from here on out. I'll take whatever grades they wanna give me.

I dunno if I have the energy to read fact patterns anymore

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun May 05, 2013 12:02 am

damn this motivation thread turned into the exam depression thread. Took a look back at the first few pages and the vive was completely different lol. C'mon guys only a few more weeks hang in there. I know i'm no LGL, but we got this shit.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 12:27 am

Hey guys, can someone help me out with this property question? I feel dumb but I don't understand why A is the answer and not D.

A, B, and C owned Blackacre as joint tenants. A conveyed her interest to C. As a result:

a. If B dies, C would own the whole, by herself.
b. If C dies, B would own the whole, by herself.
c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I thought because the unity of interest was severed, C and B would become tenants in common. Can someone 'splain this to me?

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 am

RaleighStClair wrote:Hey guys, can someone help me out with this property question? I feel dumb but I don't understand why A is the answer and not D.

A, B, and C owned Blackacre as joint tenants. A conveyed her interest to C. As a result:

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I thought because the unity of interest was severed, C and B would become tenants in common. Can someone 'splain this to me?

It's D. When A conveys the interest to C, it breaks the unity of interest. Thus, C is no longer a JT. And B cannot be a JT with himself. I dunno how A could possible be correct. Unless this is some fucked up exception but it seems by rigid application of CL rules it should be D.

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 12:35 am

stillwater wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:Hey guys, can someone help me out with this property question? I feel dumb but I don't understand why A is the answer and not D.

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

It's D. When A conveys the interest to C, it breaks the unity of interest. Thus, C is no longer a JT. And B cannot be a JT with himself. I dunno how A could possible be correct. Unless this is some fucked up exception but it seems by rigid application of CL rules it should be D.

Ahh thank you. That's what I thought. I think maybe the answer key that this guy posted isn't completely correct....that's f'ing frustrating.

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:05 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
Ahh thank you. That's what I thought. I think maybe the answer key that this guy posted isn't completely correct....that's f'ing frustrating.

I'm doing these same ones right now!

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 am

dannynoonan87 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:

http://lawweb.pace.edu/jhumbach/finalexams.htm - These ones? Have you noticed any strange questions/answers? Granted, this wasn't my class and profs teach things differently sometimes.

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:59 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
dannynoonan87 wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:

http://lawweb.pace.edu/jhumbach/finalexams.htm - These ones? Have you noticed any strange questions/answers? Granted, this wasn't my class and profs teach things differently sometimes.

One I did about tolling for disabilities in Ad Po didn't make sense.

I'm only practicing about 60% of the questions since my class was straight real property + pierson v post, while it looks like this class at pace covered a lot of personal property.

Who's got some Rule Against Purps questions with answers?

skers

Postby skers » Sun May 05, 2013 2:07 am

RaleighStClair wrote:
stillwater wrote:

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I don't know man, I'm pretty sure the answer is A. The unities were only broken on 1/3 of the property, BC are joint tenants in the other 2/3s. B only takes the 2/3 interest on C's death.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun May 05, 2013 2:35 am

TemporarySaint wrote:
RaleighStClair wrote:
stillwater wrote:

c. Both of the above.
d. None of the above.

I don't know man, I'm pretty sure the answer is A. The unities were only broken on 1/3 of the property, BC are joint tenants in the other 2/3s. B only takes the 2/3 interest on C's death.

huh?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Sun May 05, 2013 2:38 am

I'm not sure how you can separate the 1/3 that A conveyed from the remaining 2/3. C now has a 2/3 interest, which compared to B's 1/3 interest, breaks the unity of interest, no?

That was a lot of "interests."

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 am

Let's say that A conveyed to D instead. Then D would be TIC with B/C (with B and C being joint tenants still).

But A conveyed to C. So B/C are still joint tenants with respect to 2/3 of the property, with C owning another 1/3 from A.

When B dies, C get's B's 1/3. C now has A's 1/3, B's 1/3, and his own 1/3. He owns it all.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 am

HellOnHeels wrote:Let's say that A conveyed to D instead. Then D would be TIC with B/C (with B and C being joint tenants still).

But A conveyed to C. So B/C are still joint tenants with respect to 2/3 of the property, with C owning another 1/3 from A.

When B dies, C get's B's 1/3. C now has A's 1/3, B's 1/3, and his own 1/3. He owns it all.

Wouldn't C's interest merge though? That's what I don't get.

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun May 05, 2013 10:28 am

stillwater wrote:
HellOnHeels wrote:Let's say that A conveyed to D instead. Then D would be TIC with B/C (with B and C being joint tenants still).

I thought interests could only merge if one was a lesser duration/smaller interest (such as a life estate merging with a fee simple, or an easement merging with the servient estate). C would own two interests in fee simple, so merger wouldn't work. That's how I would explain it.

You could maybe also make an argument for, that if C's interests did merge, a court would find it wouldn't destroy the joint tenancy between B and C. Obviously O wanted there to be right of survivorship. It wouldn't make sense to let A convey to D and not destroy the survivorship between B and C, but if A conveys to C, it would. Then A could just convey to a strawman, who then would convey to C, and most jurisdictions have gotten rid of strawman, I think.

Property. Sheesh.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun May 05, 2013 10:39 am

HellOnHeels wrote:
stillwater wrote:

I thought interests could only merge if one was a lesser duration/smaller interest (such as a life estate merging with a fee simple, or an easement merging with the servient estate). C would own two interests in fee simple, so merger wouldn't work. That's how I would explain it.

You could maybe also make an argument for, that if C's interests did merge, a court would find it wouldn't destroy the joint tenancy between B and C. Obviously O wanted there to be right of survivorship. It wouldn't make sense to let A convey to D and not destroy the survivorship between B and C, but if A conveys to C, it would. Then A could just convey to a strawman, who then would convey to C, and most jurisdictions have gotten rid of strawman, I think.

Property. Sheesh.

Yea that seems to make sense. I think it's a stupid question.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Sun May 05, 2013 10:52 am

stillwater wrote:
HellOnHeels wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Property. Sheesh.

Yea that seems to make sense. I think it's a stupid question.

He was over-thinking it. If you outlive the other joint tenants, you win the game and get the prize $. He was bringing in Doctrine of Worthier Title. Don't use the cotenancies to then think about the estates, just think about them as the end of the estates - how you can co-own whatever estate was previously conveyed to you. It isn't that deep.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 pm

If the interests did merge for C, wouldn't that destroy the unities...

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun May 05, 2013 12:57 pm

fuck the casenote.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun May 05, 2013 1:17 pm

I interrupt this property review to announce: self-schedule is the devil.

"I'll take it Sunday morning..."
"well, maybe I'll take it this evening..."
"Monday wouldn't be bad..."

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 1:53 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I interrupt this property review to announce: self-schedule is the devil.

GTFO of my head.

CSWS bloodpact:We're taking em Sunday evening.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:I interrupt this property review to announce: self-schedule is the devil.

GTFO of my head.

CSWS bloodpact:We're taking em Sunday evening.

Actually, this is a great idea.

Transfer2DC

Postby Transfer2DC » Sun May 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Can someone explain to me how a "Pick 2 out of the 3 problems to answer" can be graded on a curve.

My teacher has no said rubric or anything, but I do not understand how the grades would be calculated.

If 50 people in the class choose 1 & 2, and only 10 choose to answer a combination with question 3, how is it possible to grade those exams against each other?

Am I just mentally fried from exams, or am I missing something?

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun May 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Transfer2DC wrote:Can someone explain to me how a "Pick 2 out of the 3 problems to answer" can be graded on a curve.

My teacher has no said rubric or anything, but I do not understand how the grades would be calculated.

If 50 people in the class choose 1 & 2, and only 10 choose to answer a combination with question 3, how is it possible to grade those exams against each other?

Am I just mentally fried from exams, or am I missing something?

They're all worth the same. Your exam is out of a hundred. Each question is 50 points. You get a score out of fifty relative to whoever did that same problem.

If you think one is harder or more time consuming than te others don't do it, you do t get anything for being an hero.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun May 05, 2013 3:52 pm

My sleep schedule is 8am to 3pm. How do I fix this for a 10am final on Tues?

I'm like actually serious lol

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Sun May 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Bronck wrote:My sleep schedule is 8am to 3pm. How do I fix this for a 10am final on Tues?

I'm like actually serious lol

Stay awake until 8 pm tomorrow. Sleep until 8 am Tuesday. Hope for the best.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”