OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TLSwag

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby TLSwag » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Bronck wrote:Not sure it ever got answered, but does anyone have tips for Property POLICY??

For example, Model Answers to old exams with sample policy points?

Would be interested in this as well. My classes this semester are apparently a complete 180 from last semester in terms of policy application

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:06 am

Fwiw I was really worried about the policy Q on my prop final...read a few previous exams and thought "holy fuck, no clue how to do that"...and don't have the discipline to practice writin shit without answers/before looking at answers. Under the real pressure of the exam, I feel like i was able to freewrite forever--persuasively, coherently, ludidly whatever. (Pardon; I'm dinked now). Anyways I'd recommend preparing a 10pgish outline for it, with section 0 being an overview and broad property arguments, and the rest just matching your units with pros/cons

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote: Getting those pre-written paragraphs done for these open notebook exams. LET'S GO!

which classes are/have you done this for?

Con/Civ Pro.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:45 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote: Getting those pre-written paragraphs done for these open notebook exams. LET'S GO!

Con/Civ Pro.

Ive got my framework for Crim written out.

Im working on Prop.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 am

Nova wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Con/Civ Pro.

Ive got my frame work for Crim written out.

Im working on Prop.

Same bro. This time around, I adopted a strategy to pound through countless single-answer PTs. Really developed my pre-paragraphs and framework. Thank goodness it is open book. All I need to do is re-write these paragraphs.

skers

Postby skers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:51 am

Graded LRW can eat a dick.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 am

TemporarySaint wrote:Graded LRW can eat a dick.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:42 am

mephistopheles wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:Graded LRW can eat a dick.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:04 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin1987

Postby Benjamin1987 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 am

TLSwag wrote:
Bronck wrote:Not sure it ever got answered, but does anyone have tips for Property POLICY??

For example, Model Answers to old exams with sample policy points?

Would be interested in this as well. My classes this semester are apparently a complete 180 from last semester in terms of policy application

Hey folks, maybe I don't understand the issue you're facing, but bere's how I plan to address policy on my exam:

(1) Identify issue; (2) Apply various jurisdictional approaches to the law; (3) Analysis/Application; and (4) Policy effects of each outcome.

Throughout the semester we have discussed the same policy concerns over and over (i.e. use, development, alienation, exclusion, possession, certainty, security, etc.). Just take your analysis one step further and discuss the policy implications of each possible outcome.

Here's what I've gathered from my professor that may help some of you conceptualize the importance of policy in property. Property more than any other subject differs from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Therefore, its more important that we understand the underlying rationale for these rules than the rules themselves. By understanding the rationale you can develop/predict most of the rules through common sense.

Hope this helps!

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 am

My crim final is now 117 multiple choice questions in 3 and a half hours. What the hell.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:09 am

DONE CON LAW.

feelsgoodman.jpg

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:50 am

Nova wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Con/Civ Pro.

Ive got my framework for Crim written out.

Im working on Prop.

Crim? In what way?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:53 am

I can definitely see pre-writing for Con Law, but Crim seems too scattered to really create pre-written frameworks for...at least how my Crim class was taught.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:10 am

Doorkeeper wrote:I can definitely see pre-writing for Con Law, but Crim seems too scattered to really create pre-written frameworks for...at least how my Crim class was taught.

Yeah, I can't really see pre-writing for crim because there are so many different forks in the law.

IMO, civ pro is the best/easiest class to pre-write for. If you have open book civ pro and you DON'T pre-write, you're putting yourself at a big disadvantage. I also think con law would be good to pre-write for, especially on the big things that are definitely going to come up (commerce clause and equal protection clause; maybe 1 or 2 other things depending on your class). You could probably pre-write for torts and contracts, though it might not be worth it.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 am

FWIW, I pre-wrote for torts and civ pro last semester. Torts was useless, but civ pro was CLUTCH. Haven't pre-written at all this semester because I just don't see it helping.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 am

thelong wrote:I need to find a rusty chainsaw to lend to Admin so it can go ahead and fuck itself.

Why are you such a squishy subject?

I have a week from my property final till my admin final to figure it out. Hopefully that's enough time because I haven't touched it for like 2 weeks and I'm not going to because I have 2 days between all my other exams.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Can someone explain what pre-writing is?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Can someone explain what pre-writing is?

PJ Traditional (general): Corporation – A court may exercise PJ over a corporation if the defendant is a citizen of the state as determined by 28 U.S.C. § 1332(c)(1), which states that the corporation is a citizen of the state it is incorporated in as well as the state which contains the corporation’s principal place of business. Here, ____(analyze PJ for the question)___.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Can someone explain what pre-writing is?

This is what I had last semester for civ pro, to give you an example. I had this under Territorial Jurisdiction (which was under Jurisdiction, and was also divided into subject matter, removal, and venue):

Long Arm Statute
In order to determine if a court has territorial jurisdiction to hear a case we must determine if the government which created the court authorized it to hear the case.
Federal Rule 4k governs assertion of territorial jurisdiction by federal courts. If the claim is state law, then R4k1d and R4k2 don’t apply. If defendant isn’t joined under R19 or R20, R4k1b doesn’t apply. R4k1A allows a federal court to establish territorial jurisdiction if the the state courts in the forum state may have jurisdiction.
If jurisdiction by in-state service of process is not allowed, then we must turn to the states long arm statute.
Purpose of long arm statute is to call nonresident defendants back into the state to defend lawsuits (even if he’s never been there).

Then on the exam, as soon as I saw the territorial jurisdiction question, I'd basically write all that out (unless parts were totally irrelevant) and then apply it to the facts. Makes applying the facts a lot easier since you have all (well, if you did your pre-writes correctly) the forks in the law already written out. Just as another example, this is what I had for removal:

Removal
If ∆ tries removing case to federal court and the district court remands it back to state court, a remand for lack of SMJ is non-reviewable under §1447d. Remands which are done for other reasons are subject to review for abuse of discretion.
§1441a requires that the federal courts would have had original jurisdiction over the matter. §1441b stipulates that under FQJ, action is removable without regard to the citizenship of the parties. If no FQJ, if any ∆ is a citizen of the forum state, ∆ may not remove case to federal court.

Make sense?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:39 pm

You guys actually recited BLL on the test? I never did, it seems like a waste of time.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm

Bronck wrote:You guys actually recited BLL on the test? I never did, it seems like a waste of time.

My civ pro prof specifically told us to use "framing sentences" before going into our analysis. It worked out great for me.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Bronck wrote:You guys actually recited BLL on the test? I never did, it seems like a waste of time.

My civ pro professor specifically told us she would give points for it (and a few of my other professors have told us to to make sure we state the rules we're applying), and for case names in certain contexts, though she was more ambiguous on this. I'm a pretty quick typer (not super fast, but quick enough), so it didn't really cost me any time. I think the biggest gain was that as I typed it out, it made me see more forks in the law that I could apply to the fact pattern.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:53 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”