OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rustyyoda

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby rustyyoda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!

chiguy99

Postby chiguy99 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Anyone have some clutch policy arguments for Prop? I have some, but my prof is heavy on policy so can't hurt to have more + I feel like I'm missing some impressive ones... if makes a dif he is big on economical shiite :D

chiguy99

Postby chiguy99 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm

chiguy99 wrote:Anyone have some clutch policy arguments for Prop? I have some, but my prof is heavy on policy so can't hurt to have more + I feel like I'm missing some impressive ones... if makes a dif he is big on economical shiite :D

forgot to give Birdnals proper credit for a list of some as well, my apologies

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

rustyyoda wrote:I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!

Ill PM you a pretty good link I know of. I thiiiink they have federalism issues.

If anyone could send some property model answers my way about LL-T/Estates + FI/ Easments + RC + ES... it would be very appriciated. I have yet to come across anything for those issues.
Last edited by Nova on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Nova wrote:
rustyyoda wrote:I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!

Ill PM you a pretty good link I know of. I thiiiink they have federalism issues.

If anyone could send some property model answers about LL-T/Estates + FI/ Easments + RC + ES, my way... it would be very appriciated. I have yet to come across methodical breakdown of the issues.

do you just want a massive outline that does it?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Nova wrote:

If anyone could send some property model answers about LL-T/Estates + FI/ Easments + RC + ES, my way... it would be very appriciated. I have yet to come across methodical breakdown of the issues.

do you just want a massive outline that does it?

Sure. Sounds like a good read.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm

pm your email.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks bro

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:45 pm

chiguy99 wrote:Anyone have some clutch policy arguments for Prop? I have some, but my prof is heavy on policy so can't hurt to have more + I feel like I'm missing some impressive ones... if makes a dif he is big on economical shiite :D

+1 i would like this as well plz

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Jsa725 wrote:suppose A has a covenant in his deed that says "cannot build above 1 story" and his neighbor B wants to enjoin him from building 2 stories....what questions do you ask to determine whether the benefit and burdens both t & c the land? is it merely a value added value lost type analysis. A 's burden T&C the land b/c he cannot add value by building above 1 story and the benefit to B T&C the land b/c he is benefitted by the uniformity of the neighborhood having only 1 story homes?

i am trying to make sure that the analysis is coherent b/c i am not sure what else to say?

This is what Sprankling had to say:
  • Burden doesn’t run if the benefit is in gross
  • Covenant are less likely to “touch and concern” when the connection to physical use of land diminishes (i.e., when it doesn’t limit the manner in which successors may use the prop)
  • Negative Covenants: e.g., not to compete (OK) or restrict use of promisor’s land (OK)
  • Affirmative Covenants: modern trend = holding that monetary payments related to the land (pay prop taxes, purchase insurance, etc) are OK

So, yes, that would touch and concern the land because it limits the manner in which successors may use the property.

Of course this only matters if one of the parties is a successor... if not, then you just follow contract law.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:suppose A has a covenant in his deed that says "cannot build above 1 story" and his neighbor B wants to enjoin him from building 2 stories....what questions do you ask to determine whether the benefit and burdens both t & c the land? is it merely a value added value lost type analysis. A 's burden T&C the land b/c he cannot add value by building above 1 story and the benefit to B T&C the land b/c he is benefitted by the uniformity of the neighborhood having only 1 story homes?

i am trying to make sure that the analysis is coherent b/c i am not sure what else to say?

This is what Sprankling had to say:
  • Burden doesn’t run if the benefit is in gross
  • Covenant are less likely to “touch and concern” when the connection to physical use of land diminishes (i.e., when it doesn’t limit the manner in which successors may use the prop)
  • Negative Covenants: e.g., not to compete (OK) or restrict use of promisor’s land (OK)
  • Affirmative Covenants: modern trend = holding that monetary payments related to the land (pay prop taxes, purchase insurance, etc) are OK

So, yes, that would touch and concern the land because it limits the manner in which successors may use the property.

Of course this only matters if one of the parties is a successor... if not, then you just follow contract law.

ahhh danke sehr! essentially we can use: 1) value added/ lost for benefitted/burdened party, and 2) limitations that the covenant places on the burdened estate...

and there are technically 2 analyses per covenant: 1) covenant running w/ the land analysis to make sure A is bound by the covenant, and then 2) equitable servitude analysis to determine whether B can enforce the covenant in equity

If you meet the standard for real covenants, then AFAIK, you're going to meet the standard for equitable servitudes as well, since the horizontal and vertical privity elements are lacking.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:40 pm

I can't figure this out. Sources contradict each other: what is the difference between a contract-in-fact, a contract-in-law, an implied contract, and a quasi contract?

Are some of these synonymous? Are they formed any differently? Do they give rise to different remedies?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:51 pm

squid2211

Postby squid2211 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Con law exams with answers: http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/gmaggs/

rustyyoda

Postby rustyyoda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 pm

squid2211 wrote:

Con law exams with answers: http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/gmaggs/

You and Nova are gods among men. Thanks!

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm

there's so much drama in the MPC it's kinda hard being Snoop D-O-double G but I...

somehow someway, keep coming up with funky ways not to retreat like every single day

may i...commit a little murder with no degrees and...

Chorus: reckless down the street, smoking endooo, sipping on gin and juice....laid back...with a conscious disregard of a substantial and unjustifiable risk

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:04 pm

6 hours into 24 hour take home exam. About to take a break and watch a movie/eat before getting back to it. This is fucking miserable and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I will never hate on a racehorse exam ever again.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 pm

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:43 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:there's so much drama in the MPC it's kinda hard being Snoop D-O-double G but I...

somehow someway, keep coming up with funky ways not to retreat like every single day

may i...commit a little murder with no degrees and...

Chorus: reckless down the street, smoking endooo, sipping on gin and juice....laid back...with a conscious disregard of a substantial and unjustifiable risk

This is solid.
When I listen to 50 (or is it the Game?) rap about what happens when someone steps on his white air-ones, and it turns out it's redrum, he should have said rethgualsnam to communicate how doing that is so outrageous and provocative that his heat of passion killing would be justifiable and proportionate.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Was starting to freak out a bit earlier about my property final tomorrow, but I've studied like crazy for the last few hours and now I feel pretty comfortable with the material. I thought I'd finished my outline for the class yesterday, but somehow I've managed to add like 5 pages onto it today... :? :lol:

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”