OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Blumpbeef

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Crim is fucking awful. I've never found a class to be so fucking useless and divorced from reality before.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:17 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:Crim is fucking awful. I've never found a class to be so fucking useless and divorced from reality before.

Bro do you even ConLaw

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:Crim is fucking awful. I've never found a class to be so fucking useless and divorced from reality before.

Bro do you even ConLaw

At least that shit is real. Ya, im never going to use it, but somebody somewhere does.

Criminal Law has no relation whatsoever to criminal law.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Fair.

Only a couple more weeks and then you can be one of those people that never uses it.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:36 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:anyone have any sort of flowchart-y type thing for admin/LRS?

bump - not a lot of schools have this? It's called Elements at UChicago, IIRC

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Not sure why you deleted, lax, but the answer is that AP creates an entirely different right of ownership. So ignore O, A, and B completely. C owns in fee simple absolute after adversely possessing (though some jurisdictions actually say that if you adversely possess while the property is owned in life estate, you can only AP the life estate).

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Pleasye wrote:
SportsFan wrote:May 6th and 7th. The website says the 8th is for "individuals who need extra time", so I can't figure out if thats basically a required day or not. I thought part of the point of it was that we have to work quickly and won't have enough time to get to everything?

Damn your write-on is only two days? I wish ours was like this so it wouldn't be the bane of my existence for 10 fucking days after finals.

It's two days for 8 hrs each day just fixing Bluebooking and worth a majority of the points. Then a research essay and personal statement that you get a week for. I'd rather just have a take home like most schools instead of being locked in a room for 8 hrs marking pages.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:58 pm

Nelson wrote:
Pleasye wrote:
SportsFan wrote:May 6th and 7th. The website says the 8th is for "individuals who need extra time", so I can't figure out if thats basically a required day or not. I thought part of the point of it was that we have to work quickly and won't have enough time to get to everything?

Damn your write-on is only two days? I wish ours was like this so it wouldn't be the bane of my existence for 10 fucking days after finals.

It's two days for 8 hrs each day just fixing Bluebooking and worth a majority of the points. Then a research essay and personal statement that you get a week for. I'd rather just have a take home like most schools instead of being locked in a room for 8 hrs marking pages.

ya, that sounds fucking awful.

But hey, some schools write on during Spring Break.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:00 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:But hey, some schools write on during Spring Break.

I'd rather lose my spring break than have to do it after finals personally.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:03 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Not sure why you deleted, lax, but the answer is that AP creates an entirely different right of ownership. So ignore O, A, and B completely. C owns in fee simple absolute after adversely possessing (though some jurisdictions actually say that if you adversely possess while the property is owned in life estate, you can only AP the life estate).

Deleted because I thought I figured it out, but I'm actually still confused.

For original purposes:
O to A for life then to B.
C adverse possess A completely/properly, then dies before A does.
Temporarily escheats? Reversion to O? A gets his shit back? or shifts to B early?
(I should have added, C dies intestate).

So, as to your answer, I thought what you say for "some jursidictions" was at least the majority rule. So anyways, let's say that is the rule here. One friend says, "C just took their shit so they now have a life estate" but if A died first, B's interest would still shift so I don't think that's right. It seems possible that B now gets the estate when either or die, but I'm not so sure? Another says, it would escheat until A dies because C should have left it to heirs. I think that makes more sense, but that's sort of strange and probably creates a burden for the state they don't want.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:05 pm

damn, y'all are focusing on the minutiae much more than we did.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:08 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Not sure why you deleted, lax, but the answer is that AP creates an entirely different right of ownership. So ignore O, A, and B completely. C owns in fee simple absolute after adversely possessing (though some jurisdictions actually say that if you adversely possess while the property is owned in life estate, you can only AP the life estate).

Deleted because I thought I figured it out, but I'm actually still confused.

For original purposes:
O to A for life then to B.
C adverse possess A completely/properly, then dies before A does.
Temporarily escheats? Reversion to O? A gets his shit back? or shifts to B early?
(I should have added, C dies intestate).

So, as to your answer, I thought what you say for "some jursidictions" was at least the majority rule. So anyways, let's say that is the rule here. One friend says, "C just took their shit so they now have a life estate" but if A died first, B's interest would still shift so I don't think that's right. It seems possible that B now gets the estate when either or die, but I'm not so sure? Another says, it would escheat until A dies because C should have left it to heirs. I think that makes more sense, but that's sort of strange and probably creates a burden for the state they don't want.

My professor actually left this really open ended. I think he just wants us to argue all of those things, which is kinda crazy since it's closed book. Wish I could help you beyond that, but it's gonna be different depending on the jurisdiction.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Word --it depends is perfectly acceptable.

If given this on a multiple choice, I'm concluding that as a common law gap filler exam style answer, without heirs/will, the Adversely Possessed LEPAV escheats. B probably can buy it from them to next to nothing.

skers

Postby skers » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Crim wasn't my favorite, but if this page didn't make it clear enough, prop is clearly the worst.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:30 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:

Crim wasn't my favorite, but if this page didn't make it clear enough, prop is clearly the worst.

TYBelective

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:31 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:

I didn't like property much during the semester, but now that I've outlined it and am reviewing my notes, I don't mind it nearly as much.

gregfootball2001

Postby gregfootball2001 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Focus problems. Exams start wed - trying to channel the CSWS gods, but it ain't happening so far. Need to stay where I am in the class to get a job.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:43 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:

YEP.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:44 pm

SportsFan wrote:I didn't like property much during the semester, but now that I've outlined it and am reviewing my notes, I don't mind it nearly as much.

We're lucky though because we covered like 25% of a normal property class because of how in depth he goes.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Nelson wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:

I didn't like property much during the semester, but now that I've outlined it and am reviewing my notes, I don't mind it nearly as much.

We're lucky though because we covered like 25% of a normal property class because of how in depth he goes.

Very true, though the theory we covered isn't easy to learn. I have a lot of it in my outline and I still think I'm missing a bunch.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Dude, that's all of 1L. This shit is useless.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:03 pm

I HATE ALL OF MY CLASSES

There

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:04 pm

contracts and property were straight. i couldn't care less about the other classes, though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”