OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LetsGoLAW

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 am

My outlines are 1 page each.

I'm also using size .000001 font.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:18 am

minnbills wrote:How are you all going about preparing for Civ Pro? My outline right now (or at least the info I feel I need to have), 3/4 is FRCP (just straight up verbatim) and 1/4 is made up of cases/some other notes.

How well do we need to know the rules? Memorize? Know the basics and then know where to look for clarification? I am stressing.

My Civ Pro outline is essentially PJ/SMJ/Erie Doctrine/Litigation Process theory descriptions with accompanying and related FRCP translated into a mix of verbatim and my own words. The more jargon heavy the FRCP in question, the more I try to put it into my own words.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:21 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
minnbills wrote:How are you all going about preparing for Civ Pro? My outline right now (or at least the info I feel I need to have), 3/4 is FRCP (just straight up verbatim) and 1/4 is made up of cases/some other notes.

How well do we need to know the rules? Memorize? Know the basics and then know where to look for clarification? I am stressing.

Dude my effing civ pro outline is sitting at 60 pages and we still have a ways to go... fml Idid it wrong :(

nvm

If it makes you feel any better, mine is like 25 (though with 0.5" margins on the left and right instead of 1") and I feel like I did it wrong too. :?

haha that makes it worse! Mine is more than 2x as long (using .5 margins as well)

Mine is standing at 16 right now, and I think I should get to about 30ish by the time I'm done with it.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 am

Mine is up to 50, I'm about 3/4s of the way done. Fuck. About 3/4s of it is just the rules.

Postby 005618502 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:34 am

minnbills wrote:Mine is up to 50, I'm about 3/4s of the way done. Fuck. About 3/4s of it is just the rules.

I dont write out ALL the rules verbatim because I will have my rules book with me. But that could help

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:49 am

minnbills wrote:Mine is up to 50, I'm about 3/4s of the way done. Fuck. About 3/4s of it is just the rules.

I dont write out ALL the rules verbatim because I will have my rules book with me. But that could help

Like, 3 weeks into the year I printed off an older guy's outline from the same professor from 2 years ago, and then took followed along with it and took notes on it. All together is is like, 16-17 pages. I highly recommend this method to anybody who hasn't taken civ pro yet. You still get the benefit of creating your own outline at the end of the year by combining the old outline with your notes, but you get the added plus of knowing where your prof is going when talking about a case that is 99% bad law at this point.

Benjamin1987

Postby Benjamin1987 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJf4USdb ... re=related

TWO WEEKS LEFT -- LET NOTHING STAND IN YOUR WAY

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:56 am

Does anyone have any negligence filled fact pattern? My prof has a huge 3-4 page long fact pattern that is filled with negligence. I have only been able to find a couple of fact patterns similar to this.

I have UCC, Parol Evidence Rule, and Offer and Acceptance heavy contracts exams, and the above torts exams, and general issue spotter crim exams.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:10 pm

don't write the rules verbatim. use the E&E and the Freer lecture to boil them down to plain English.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Finishing/crushing life estates/future interests today. Lawl school.

Reading Whitehead tonight. Keep it up kids.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Giving all my attention toward my CP paper over the next few days... Since I have a shitty memory, I figure I may as well get it out of the way now because studying in early Dec will be way more helpful than studying now....

Just another obstacle. CSWS
Last edited by Nova on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JG7773

Postby JG7773 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm

swimmer11 wrote:Does anyone have any negligence filled fact pattern? My prof has a huge 3-4 page long fact pattern that is filled with negligence. I have only been able to find a couple of fact patterns similar to this.

I have UCC, Parol Evidence Rule, and Offer and Acceptance heavy contracts exams, and the above torts exams, and general issue spotter crim exams.

PM sent.

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Wrapping up dat dere Contracts outline today, then moving on to Civ.Pro. Let's go people.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Finishing/crushing life estates/future interests today. Lawl school.

May do E&FI later :D ... just finished a K's hypo and realized that I can do more to argue both sides of the contract. This hypo (and model answer) shed light on some knowledge gaps of mine.

I want success just as bad as I want to breath! CSWS.

What hypos are you doing?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:49 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximized

Postby Maximized » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Finishing/crushing life estates/future interests today. Lawl school.

May do E&FI later :D ... just finished a K's hypo and realized that I can do more to argue both sides of the contract. This hypo (and model answer) shed light on some knowledge gaps of mine.

I want success just as bad as I want to breath! CSWS.

What hypos are you doing?

$$$
http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/gmaggs
Forgot to thank you for posting this earlier, good sir. My professor's only giving out one practice problem so this well help a lot. Much appreciated!!

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:49 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:My outlines are 1 page each.

I'm also using size .000001 font.

:lol:

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 am

Wrapping up my Civ Pro outline tonight. It will probably be in the neighborhood of 70 pages. Next step is to condense it down into an attack outline that can walk me through the life of a lawsuit.

After tonight, 2/4 outlines will be done. Contracts is about 1/3 done. Moving along well. Goal was to get all 4 done by Thursday. I can make it.

Then, PEs + E&Es + synthesizing. Had a couple of guys in my section tell me today they think I'm cruising for top 25%. Bucked me up. CSWS!!

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 am

Feel like I'm in a weird place right now. Going to finish up my outlines and do the civ pro E&E over my thanksgiving 'break', then start memorizing them. But after taking at least 1 PT for all my classes so far, I feel really good about contracts, really bad about torts, and completely in the middle about civ pro. If it normal that I feel like I can argue both sides of a contracts issue really well but feel like I don't even know where to start with torts? I think a lot of this may be down to my professors, but still... It just feels weird haha.

swimmer11

Postby swimmer11 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:44 am

Just finished my criminal law attack outline ~6 pages, going to try and gut it some more and add policy where needed (my prof huge on policy wants you to resolve every fork using policy e.g MPC VMS and TL VMS). Took a criminal law final, and waiting for anyone in my section to do to compare answers. However, I went over it with a fine tooth comb, and I could not find any other crimes. I did not add enough policy though so just need to keep grinding away dawgs.

Took a K exam feel weirdly good about that. Have a solid K master outline, working on finishing up my attack outline.

Took a torts exam, and it was torts. The exam was wild, everything was going all over the place, but I think I might have did ok.

less then three weeks. GRIND CSWS

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:16 pm

what is the received wisdom on when to start practice exams? I'm planning to use the break memorizing/making flash cards for classes, so that civ pro and crim will be have all prep materials prepared, and torts and contracts will have all materials prepared (only up until this point in the semester) when we get back. This will give me two/three weeks to take practice exams for crim and civ pro and finish torts and contracts cards and memorize, and then a week to do nothing but contracts and torts practice exam materials before those tests. does this sound reasonable? basically I'm planning to use the break to get everything ready, rather than to start doing practice exams.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:what is the received wisdom on when to start practice exams? I'm planning to use the break memorizing/making flash cards for classes, so that civ pro and crim will be have all prep materials prepared, and torts and contracts will have all materials prepared (only up until this point in the semester) when we get back. This will give me two/three weeks to take practice exams for crim and civ pro and finish torts and contracts cards and memorize, and then a week to do nothing but contracts and torts practice exam materials before those tests. does this sound reasonable? basically I'm planning to use the break to get everything ready, rather than to start doing practice exams.

My first test is on the 10th, and I started doing them this past weekend. I'll have done 2 civ pro's, 2 torts, and 1 contracts by Thanksgiving, which is good since then it'll help me focus on cleaning up my outlines a bit and then getting started on my attack outlines. But if you haven't started yet, I wouldn't worry. Just get started right after Thanksgiving.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:43 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:what is the received wisdom on when to start practice exams? I'm planning to use the break memorizing/making flash cards for classes, so that civ pro and crim will be have all prep materials prepared, and torts and contracts will have all materials prepared (only up until this point in the semester) when we get back. This will give me two/three weeks to take practice exams for crim and civ pro and finish torts and contracts cards and memorize, and then a week to do nothing but contracts and torts practice exam materials before those tests. does this sound reasonable? basically I'm planning to use the break to get everything ready, rather than to start doing practice exams.

My first test is on the 10th, and I started doing them this past weekend. I'll have done 2 civ pro's, 2 torts, and 1 contracts by Thanksgiving, which is good since then it'll help me focus on cleaning up my outlines a bit and then getting started on my attack outlines. But if you haven't started yet, I wouldn't worry. Just get started right after Thanksgiving.

My first exam is the 11th. I've done a lot of practice short answer/mc for that class, but I haven't done a full length test (and the prof hasn't released any yet).

Thanks for the advice.

Raiden

Postby Raiden » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Churning out my outlines, trying to condense info in a skeleton I can memorize, memorizing BLL by typing them out and writing the rules in sentences.

Gotta hit this Practice exams soon. CSWS

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”