OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Birdnals

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Birdnals » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:26 pm

My (non-law school) roommates are drinking and about to head out to the Cards game I was offered free tickets to. I am studying for a 24 hour Con Law final that starts on Sunday instead.

One.More.Week.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:17 pm

Officially decided today, no more practice tests. I loathe them. Just gonna make sure I know this shit cold.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm

stillwater wrote:Officially decided today, no more practice tests. I loathe them. Just gonna make sure I know this shit cold.

I completely despise PTs too, but I feel like everyone knows the law and the A's simply go to those who can apply it better. I find issue spotting, outlining answers, and reading through model answers to be somewhat bearable.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:
stillwater wrote:Officially decided today, no more practice tests. I loathe them. Just gonna make sure I know this shit cold.

I completely despise PTs too, but I feel like everyone knows the law and the A's simply go to those who can apply it better. I find issue spotting, outlining answers, and reading through model answers to be somewhat bearable.

I am with you on that. I like outlining, just casual issue spotting. However, I think there is a surprisingly amount of individuals who either don't get the law or just apply it in a pathetically ham-fisted way.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:43 pm

stillwater wrote:
Robert Paulson wrote:

I am with you on that. I like outlining, just casual issue spotting. However, I think there is a surprisingly amount of individuals who either don't get the law or just apply it in a pathetically ham-fisted way.

I totally agree on this, and I'm glad because I know I'm confident enough in my abilities that I'm not getting a B-/C (unless I truly fuck things up during the exam).

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Transfer2DC

Postby Transfer2DC » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Anyone have Chevron exam questions/answers?

Or any Legislation and Regulation materials?

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:03 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Today, one of my professors had a review session and walked us through an old exam. Hearing other students discuss the issues they spotted and how they discussed the pertinent law was shocking. Pathetically ham-fisted is exactly the way in which I would describe it.

There's a fair amount of material that I struggle with, but forcing myself to apply the law to a particular set of facts over and over again allows me to avoid sounding so foolish on the actual exam, so practice tests are key for my studying.

I'm conflicted because people were talking about how they spotted these BS nuances from our PT that we never really talked about in class or were in the readings, but then people were asking dumb questions in the review session. Perhaps lawl school is just a bunch of mind games.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

Birdnals wrote:My (non-law school) roommates are drinking and about to head out to the Cards game I was offered free tickets to. I am studying for a 24 hour Con Law final that starts on Sunday instead.

One.More.Week.

Go out and drink and relax! Studying for that final is a giant flame. 3000 word 24 hour take home.

gtz

Postby gtz » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:59 am

Long time lurker first time poster in the thread. Just wondering if you guys or gals had any ideas of what to do with a con law final where we are NOT allowed to write in paragraph format but only write in outline format with a 1,000 word limit for a 3 hour test. My professor said all she wanted was to spot the issues and list possible cases that match maybe write a short sentence as explanation.... Also, if anyone is from Fordham (she is visiting at GULC) could you please look and see if Catherine Powell has any practice tests in your exam bank and pm me. Just really confused on this one. Thanks

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 am

2 finals left then the writing competition. Can't believe 1L is almost done. I also can't wait to have a social life again. :lol:

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:07 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:10 am

Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:2 finals left then the writing competition. Can't believe 1L is almost done. I also can't wait to have a social life again. :lol:

when is your write-on?

May 6th and 7th. The website says the 8th is for "individuals who need extra time", so I can't figure out if thats basically a required day or not. I thought part of the point of it was that we have to work quickly and won't have enough time to get to everything?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:16 am

SportsFan wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:2 finals left then the writing competition. Can't believe 1L is almost done. I also can't wait to have a social life again. :lol:

when is your write-on?

May 6th and 7th. The website says the 8th is for "individuals who need extra time", so I can't figure out if thats basically a required day or not. I thought part of the point of it was that we have to work quickly and won't have enough time to get to everything?

It's for people who can't make one of the days or have some sort of medical condition.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:17 am

PennBull wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:

when is your write-on?

It's for people who can't make one of the days or have some sort of medical condition.

Ah, thanks! I wish they'd worded it a bit better on the website, since it makes it sound like anyone can show up and get a 3rd day.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 am

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 am

Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:

when is your write-on?

nice...i fucking hope i can make LR... ill be at another school next year and the dates are much later

Yeah, I'd LOVE to make LR but (unless I pull a 4.0 this semester hah) my only chance is to write-on or hope they love my personal statement (apparently they pick like 5 people only based on their personal statement). And considering I've done like no bluebook prep at all, I'm not writing-on haha.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:35 am

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:09 pm

just got the paid notetaker notes for civpro.

killllling it.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:11 pm

mephistopheles wrote:just got the paid notetaker notes for civpro.

killllling it.

What does this mean? and how can one kill civ pro?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Anyone have any property exam q's/hypos with answers that a professor would label a "policy question". No idea what those look like or the proper way to answer...like, I figure I could make a hypothesis, "despite other rationales, notice is the most important aspect..." Or I could talk about different points different law philosophers have put forth--briefly commenting on their weaknesses..
Kinda lost on this.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 pm

i have sample policy questions. pm me your email.

added: no answers, though.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:39 pm

SportsFan wrote:May 6th and 7th. The website says the 8th is for "individuals who need extra time", so I can't figure out if thats basically a required day or not. I thought part of the point of it was that we have to work quickly and won't have enough time to get to everything?

Damn your write-on is only two days? I wish ours was like this so it wouldn't be the bane of my existence for 10 fucking days after finals.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Pleasye wrote:
SportsFan wrote:May 6th and 7th. The website says the 8th is for "individuals who need extra time", so I can't figure out if thats basically a required day or not. I thought part of the point of it was that we have to work quickly and won't have enough time to get to everything?

Damn your write-on is only two days? I wish ours was like this so it wouldn't be the bane of my existence for 10 fucking days after finals.

yeah, we have two weeks and it sucks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”