OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:I'm worried about how simple Crim is. Gonna be a tight curve.


we have an opportunity to disagree. there's no such thing as a tight curve. just an excuse of convenience for those who get median pwned.

Perhaps. But I meant more in the sense that curves can have very different distributions around the exact same mean. Could be all A+'s and C's or all B's and B+'s.

Depends on the school. I've read UVA is like that, but I know at Penn they have to give a certain percentage of every grade.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:05 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
stillwater wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:I'm worried about how simple Crim is. Gonna be a tight curve.


we have an opportunity to disagree. there's no such thing as a tight curve. just an excuse of convenience for those who get median pwned.

I'm guessing you're not a statistician?


i'm guessing you're not either.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 pm

youre right.
so now that we're both back to even how should we evaluate the ridiculousness of your comment?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:42 pm

Semester ends tomorrow - only have 2/4 complete outlines. FML.

I need to create this third one, but I'm doubting whether creating the 4th would be beneficial since I have a couple outlines. Ugh.

First exam in T-minus 12 days.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:youre right.
so now that we're both back to even how should we evaluate the ridiculousness of your comment?


i don't know how what i said is remotely ridiculous. while it is undoubtedly possible you could have a tightly clumped set of raw numbers that, when distributed, end up being artificially separated, i just don't buy it as being as prevalent a problem as law students say it is. I just havent seen any difference in practice yet between tests that are supposedly difficult and self-stratifying and those that have tight word limits and limited material and supposedly "tight"

I just think things separate out more than people like to believe.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Semester ends tomorrow - only have 2/4 complete outlines. FML.

I need to create this third one, but I'm doubting whether creating the 4th would be beneficial since I have a couple outlines. Ugh.

First exam in T-minus 12 days.


that's a lot of time. you're good

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Semester ends tomorrow - only have 2/4 complete outlines. FML.

I need to create this third one, but I'm doubting whether creating the 4th would be beneficial since I have a couple outlines. Ugh.

First exam in T-minus 12 days.

Jeez, they give you that much free time between your last class and finals? :shock:

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:50 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Semester ends tomorrow - only have 2/4 complete outlines. FML.

I need to create this third one, but I'm doubting whether creating the 4th would be beneficial since I have a couple outlines. Ugh.

First exam in T-minus 12 days.

Jeez, they give you that much free time between your last class and finals? :shock:



i'm jealous as well.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:54 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Semester ends tomorrow - only have 2/4 complete outlines. FML.

I need to create this third one, but I'm doubting whether creating the 4th would be beneficial since I have a couple outlines. Ugh.

First exam in T-minus 12 days.

Jeez, they give you that much free time between your last class and finals? :shock:



i'm jealous as well.

I had 3 days before my first final (the weekend and Monday). I would liked an extra 2 days, but honestly I couldn't imagine having 10+ days before my first final...

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 pm

I was barely prepared last semester with having this amount of time. I don't know how you all do it in less.

10 days is barely enough for 2 full practice tests in each subject, plus a little extra outlining time. I'm worried because last semester I didn't spend enough time doing EEs and practice tests, but I couldn't even fathom only have 3-4 days.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby soj » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:I was barely prepared last semester with having this amount of time. I don't know how you all do it in less.

10 days is barely enough for 2 full practice tests in each subject, plus a little extra outlining time. I'm worried because last semester I didn't spend enough time doing EEs and practice tests, but I couldn't even fathom only have 3-4 days.

wtf? 12 days is enough to prepare for 4 exams from scratch. you're more than fine.

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:08 pm

soj wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I was barely prepared last semester with having this amount of time. I don't know how you all do it in less.

10 days is barely enough for 2 full practice tests in each subject, plus a little extra outlining time. I'm worried because last semester I didn't spend enough time doing EEs and practice tests, but I couldn't even fathom only have 3-4 days.

wtf? 12 days is enough to prepare for 4 exams from scratch. you're more than fine.

I had 5 full days before my last final last semester. It was miserable. I only spent 2 of them actually studying and doing work.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:11 pm

soj wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I was barely prepared last semester with having this amount of time. I don't know how you all do it in less.

10 days is barely enough for 2 full practice tests in each subject, plus a little extra outlining time. I'm worried because last semester I didn't spend enough time doing EEs and practice tests, but I couldn't even fathom only have 3-4 days.

wtf? 12 days is enough to prepare for 4 exams from scratch. you're more than fine.

It's certainly better than 5 days, but it's still not a crazy amount of time. If you do an exam from 9am-12pm, outlining and reviewing from 2-5pm, then some EEs from 7-10pm or so...that about covers a day. You only get 2-3 of those days per class. I don't know if that's enough to deeply learn the material from a whole semester.

User avatar
dannynoonan87
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby dannynoonan87 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:30 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I felt like I knew crim after I spent like 5 hours with accomplice liability. The rest of conduct/mens rea shit is real simple after you sort that out I think

Homicide is so simple
A-intent. Murder
B-intent. Not murder
C-unintentional. Murder
D-unintentional. Not murder
E. felony murder

Now just full in shit there the way it seems to make sense and you'll be right...


For the sake of quizzing myself....

A-intent. Murder
i. Murder 1 (CL)
ii. Murder 2 (CL)
iii. Murder (MPC)

B-intent. Not murder
i. Voluntary manslaughter (CL)
ii. Manslaughter (MPC)

C-unintentional. Murder
i. Felony Murder (CL/MPC)
ii. Depraved Heart (CL)

D-unintentional. Not murder
i. negligent homicide(MPC)
ii. involuntary manslaughter (CL)

E-felony murder
I put it under C since my prof considers felony murder unintentional but still murder

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
soj wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I was barely prepared last semester with having this amount of time. I don't know how you all do it in less.

10 days is barely enough for 2 full practice tests in each subject, plus a little extra outlining time. I'm worried because last semester I didn't spend enough time doing EEs and practice tests, but I couldn't even fathom only have 3-4 days.

wtf? 12 days is enough to prepare for 4 exams from scratch. you're more than fine.

It's certainly better than 5 days, but it's still not a crazy amount of time. If you do an exam from 9am-12pm, outlining and reviewing from 2-5pm, then some EEs from 7-10pm or so...that about covers a day. You only get 2-3 of those days per class. I don't know if that's enough to deeply learn the material from a whole semester.

Do you have no time between each exam?

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:43 pm

Nelson wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
soj wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I was barely prepared last semester with having this amount of time. I don't know how you all do it in less.

10 days is barely enough for 2 full practice tests in each subject, plus a little extra outlining time. I'm worried because last semester I didn't spend enough time doing EEs and practice tests, but I couldn't even fathom only have 3-4 days.

wtf? 12 days is enough to prepare for 4 exams from scratch. you're more than fine.

It's certainly better than 5 days, but it's still not a crazy amount of time. If you do an exam from 9am-12pm, outlining and reviewing from 2-5pm, then some EEs from 7-10pm or so...that about covers a day. You only get 2-3 of those days per class. I don't know if that's enough to deeply learn the material from a whole semester.

Do you have no time between each exam?

They're scheduled so you have one day in between each. Hardly the time for heavy lifting.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:They're scheduled so you have one day in between each. Hardly the time for heavy lifting.

Yeah that's tough. I like they way they do it here for 1Ls where we have 2-3 days between each.

User avatar
LazinessPerSe
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:18 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby LazinessPerSe » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 am

Enjoy it while it lasts. I had 4 in 6 days this semester as a 2L. I remember the 2-3 days in between each 1L exam to cram a new subject down. Having to store 2 classes worth of material for back-to-backs is not fun.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:18 am

stillwater wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:youre right.
so now that we're both back to even how should we evaluate the ridiculousness of your comment?


i don't know how what i said is remotely ridiculous. while it is undoubtedly possible you could have a tightly clumped set of raw numbers that, when distributed, end up being artificially separated, i just don't buy it as being as prevalent a problem as law students say it is. I just havent seen any difference in practice yet between tests that are supposedly difficult and self-stratifying and those that have tight word limits and limited material and supposedly "tight"

I just think things separate out more than people like to believe.

Image

Continuous line is tight, dotted line is not. Same mean GPA.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 am

Danger Zone wrote:
stillwater wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:youre right.
so now that we're both back to even how should we evaluate the ridiculousness of your comment?


i don't know how what i said is remotely ridiculous. while it is undoubtedly possible you could have a tightly clumped set of raw numbers that, when distributed, end up being artificially separated, i just don't buy it as being as prevalent a problem as law students say it is. I just havent seen any difference in practice yet between tests that are supposedly difficult and self-stratifying and those that have tight word limits and limited material and supposedly "tight"

I just think things separate out more than people like to believe.

Image

Continuous line is tight, dotted line is not. Same mean GPA.


at least my school has mandated distributions, not just a mandated mean. so a certain percentage has to get each grade between B- and A.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:23 am

Ah. Range of percentages or given percentages? Like 20-25% B+ or just straight up 25%?

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 am

Danger Zone wrote:Ah. Range of percentages or given percentages? Like 20-25% B+ or just straight up 25%?


its usually ranges, so 20-30% need to get an A of some variety with certain maximum allocations within that for A+s, etc.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:27 am

Right. Eh, still allows for some flexibility in the distribution, but obviously not as much as a school that just gives a mean GPA (which I believe mine does...).

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:30 am

Danger Zone wrote:Right. Eh, still allows for some flexibility in the distribution, but obviously not as much as a school that just gives a mean GPA (which I believe mine does...).


I definitely see your point if there is just a mean GPA how things can get tight. I just assumed the norm was these percentage-based distributions.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7316
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:33 am

I enjoyed the break from discussing Prop/Crim/Con Law though.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, deadthrone7, hkh2220, newhere21, Stubbazubba and 9 guests