OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
laxbrah420

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:08 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:Am I crazy for just rereading the homicide section of my outline and Dressler's supplement before I start studying anything else for crim?

I felt like I knew crim after I spent like 5 hours with accomplice liability. The rest of conduct/mens rea shit is real simple after you sort that out I think

Homicide is so simple
A-intent. Murder
B-intent. Not murder
C-unintentional. Murder
D-unintentional. Not murder
E. felony murder

Now just full in shit there the way it seems to make sense and you'll be right...

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm worried about how simple Crim is. Gonna be a tight curve.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I'm worried about how simple Crim is. Gonna be a tight curve.

I wish I felt this way about crim. :(

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 pm

Crim BLL is so simple; doing well is all about solid arguments and fact manipulation. That said, Civ Pro is going to destroy me. It's seems to be just a ton of nuances and inter-workings of rules with little fact manipulation. Every time I think I got the BLL down, I take a PT and wonder how I got railed so hard, and the worst part is, I ran out of fucks to give :cry:

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:47 pm

Need to learn all of property in 72 hrs, then all of the criminal law in 48 hrs. Seems reasonable.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Nelson wrote:Need to learn all of property in 72 hrs, then all of the criminal law in 48 hrs. Seems reasonable.

Hah, I'm in pretty much the same situation (I looked over my property notes a bit today since I feel comfortable with con law, but I still don't know anything). I'm kind of disappointed that these 2 finals are last, because I'm so much more concerned with them than my first 2 and I just wanna get them over with so I can forget about them.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 pm

Mine's an absurd amount of policy in addition to a fact pattern - so it's basically gonna be a big guess.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Second semester civ pro (SMJ, PJ and res judicata) seems so much more complicated than first semester (Erie and FRCP for stages of litigation). I dont even know where to start.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:25 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Second semester civ pro (SMJ, PJ and res judicata) seems so much more complicated than first semester (Erie and FRCP for stages of litigation). I dont even know where to start.

One semester of civ pro covering all that and venue, FML.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Yea

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Second semester civ pro (SMJ, PJ and res judicata) seems so much more complicated than first semester (Erie and FRCP for stages of litigation). I dont even know where to start.

Haha ours is opposite. Hopefully I don't get fucked as hard this semester as I did last semester :?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Pleasye wrote:

Haha ours is opposite. Hopefully I don't get fucked as hard this semester as I did last semester :?

You're gonna do great. Just keep grinding!

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:49 pm

I have my con law exam tomorrow, and while looking back through my notes I noticed professor mentioned twice that we might get some sort of philosophical question about a previously undecided SC issue, and will need to decide what type of constitutional interpretation approach to use. So I'm guessing that'll be the "theory" question on the exam (he's said it'll be 2-3 hypos and a theory question), but I haven't given this type of question much/any thought. Any good ideas on how to approach an undecided issue?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:54 pm

SportsFan wrote:I have my con law exam tomorrow, and while looking back through my notes I noticed professor mentioned twice that we might get some sort of philosophical question about a previously undecided SC issue, and will need to decide what type of constitutional interpretation approach to use. So I'm guessing that'll be the "theory" question on the exam (he's said it'll be 2-3 hypos and a theory question), but I haven't given this type of question much/any thought. Any good ideas on how to approach an undecided issue?

originalist vs. living constitution

ETA: I would compare and contrast how the two would come out on the issue

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:58 pm

gaud wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I have my con law exam tomorrow, and while looking back through my notes I noticed professor mentioned twice that we might get some sort of philosophical question about a previously undecided SC issue, and will need to decide what type of constitutional interpretation approach to use. So I'm guessing that'll be the "theory" question on the exam (he's said it'll be 2-3 hypos and a theory question), but I haven't given this type of question much/any thought. Any good ideas on how to approach an undecided issue?

Yeah, thats basically the only thing I know how to do. :lol: Was hoping there was something else I could go to help separate myself from everyone else if I get a question like this, but maybe there just isn't.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 pm

SportsFan wrote:
gaud wrote:

Yeah, thats basically the only thing I know how to do. :lol: Was hoping there was something else I could go to help separate myself from everyone else if I get a question like this, but maybe there just isn't.

Where will this philosophical question come from again? Is it like something a case avoided or dicta from a case? Just pulled from thin air?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:01 pm

One of our Con law professors had a question 2 years ago that was something like "What do you think Abraham Lincoln thought about the constitution? Do you agree with his interpretation?" Serious odd-ball theory question there.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:01 pm

ImNoScar wrote:

One of our Con law professors had a question 2 years ago that was something like "What do you think Abraham Lincoln thought about the constitution? Do you agree with his interpretation?" Serious odd-ball theory question there.

I'd be screwed lol

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 pm

gaud wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
gaud wrote:

Where will this philosophical question come from again? Is it like something a case avoided or dicta from a case? Just pulled from thin air?

I have no idea, I just have it in my notes (from 2 different days we talked a bit about the exam in class) that one of the possibilities for a question is about an unresolved question that he'll want us to assess both sides of, and that we could get a "philosophical" question that has to do with some of the different approaches to constitutional interpretation we've learned (which we really haven't learned, except originalism haha).
ImNoScar wrote:

Oy, thats crazy. One of my professors old exams basically gave a quote and asked us what we thought about it, but it was actually (IMO) a very relevant quote, not something random like that Lincoln question...

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm

SportsFan

Maybe you can try to discuss the issue from the mindset of a particular justice if there is an underlying issue you can discern. Like, maybe the issue is an unanswered question of how the commerce clause would come into play in a particular area and you could take the interpretation of Marshall in Gibbons.

I dunno man, I've never thought about going through a question like that haha

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:14 pm

gaud wrote:SportsFan

Maybe you can try to discuss the issue from the mindset of a particular justice if there is an underlying issue you can discern. Like, maybe the issue is an unanswered question of how the commerce clause would come into play in a particular area and you could take the interpretation of Marshall in Gibbons.

I dunno man, I've never thought about going through a question like that haha

I should've started thinking about it more than 13 hours before my exam. :lol:

I'm thinking we'll get something related to a case going up against the SC soon, maybe related to drones or wiretapping or whatever. But outside of an originalism vs. living constitution thing, I wouldn't really know how to approach it. tbf, neither would no one else in my section (since this isn't really something anyone else has been spending time thinking about AFAIK), but there's not gonna be much separation between people on this exam because of the strict word limits he has, so I feel like the theory question is gonna be the best opportunity for me to separate myself.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:27 pm

we have an opportunity to disagree. there's no such thing as a tight curve. just an excuse of convenience for those who get median pwned.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:06 pm

stillwater wrote:

we have an opportunity to disagree. there's no such thing as a tight curve. just an excuse of convenience for those who get median pwned.

8)

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:34 pm

stillwater wrote:

I'm guessing you're not a statistician?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:46 pm

stillwater wrote:

Perhaps. But I meant more in the sense that curves can have very different distributions around the exact same mean. Could be all A+'s and C's or all B's and B+'s.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”