OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:14 am

Can anyone help me with this con law PT I'm doing? Basically the hypo is that a town that is mostly white but has an African-American minority population is building a 2nd high school in a corner of the town where most of the african-americans live (the original high school is in the other corner of the town). The town decides to split the township in half, and send half to the new high school and half to the other. People are suing because they want the town to adopt plan 1, which basically sent people to whichever school was physically closest to them. I'm thinking the issues are affirmative action, intentional discrimination, and maybe substantive rights (Meyer and Pierce), but I'm a bit confused because Plan 2 (which was adopted) was liked by half the african americans and most whites, and Plan 1 (which was rejected) was liked by most african americans and most whites. Basically, it doesn't seem like any of the issues which seem immediately obvious are even viable here, and I have no idea how to even fill up the 1200 word limit other than with "they have no claims because the township picked a plan which doesn't discriminate". I can PM the hypo to anyone, if they wanna check it out and help me.

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 am

Don't worry guys, this is what we'll be doing pretty soon

Image

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:20 am

SportsFan wrote:Can anyone help me with this con law PT I'm doing? Basically the hypo is that a town that is mostly white but has an African-American minority population is building a 2nd high school in a corner of the town where most of the african-americans live (the original high school is in the other corner of the town). The town decides to split the township in half, and send half to the new high school and half to the other. People are suing because they want the town to adopt plan 1, which basically sent people to whichever school was physically closest to them. I'm thinking the issues are affirmative action, intentional discrimination, and maybe substantive rights (Meyer and Pierce), but I'm a bit confused because Plan 2 (which was adopted) was liked by half the african americans and most whites, and Plan 1 (which was rejected) was liked by most african americans and most whites. Basically, it doesn't seem like any of the issues which seem immediately obvious are even viable here, and I have no idea how to even fill up the 1200 word limit other than with "they have no claims because the township picked a plan which doesn't discriminate". I can PM the hypo to anyone, if they wanna check it out and help me.

Or maybe I'm supposed to just analyze the entire hypo under the Parents Involved standard? Still, I feel like I have ~400 words at the most. :|

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby soj » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:28 am

i am KING

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 am

soj wrote:i am KING


Just knocked out the brief or something?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby soj » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:31 am

Bronck wrote:
soj wrote:i am KING


Just knocked out the brief or something?

at literally the last minute

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 pm

soj wrote:
Bronck wrote:
soj wrote:i am KING


Just knocked out the brief or something?

at literally the last minute


Legal writing is the worst.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15503
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 pm

SportsFan wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Can anyone help me with this con law PT I'm doing? Basically the hypo is that a town that is mostly white but has an African-American minority population is building a 2nd high school in a corner of the town where most of the african-americans live (the original high school is in the other corner of the town). The town decides to split the township in half, and send half to the new high school and half to the other. People are suing because they want the town to adopt plan 1, which basically sent people to whichever school was physically closest to them. I'm thinking the issues are affirmative action, intentional discrimination, and maybe substantive rights (Meyer and Pierce), but I'm a bit confused because Plan 2 (which was adopted) was liked by half the african americans and most whites, and Plan 1 (which was rejected) was liked by most african americans and most whites. Basically, it doesn't seem like any of the issues which seem immediately obvious are even viable here, and I have no idea how to even fill up the 1200 word limit other than with "they have no claims because the township picked a plan which doesn't discriminate". I can PM the hypo to anyone, if they wanna check it out and help me.

Or maybe I'm supposed to just analyze the entire hypo under the Parents Involved standard? Still, I feel like I have ~400 words at the most. :|

I would discuss the remedies available if they were still under a judicial mandate to fix past unconstitutional segregation (more likely able to assign students based on race) versus if they never had that mandate or did but were ruled to have fixed the problem (need to exhaust race-neutral alternatives.)

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 pm

just fucking destroyed property.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:20 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:21 pm

mephistopheles wrote:just fucking destroyed property.


niiiice. hope i will follow in your footsteps, sans 100 page outline.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:23 pm

stillwater wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:just fucking destroyed property.


niiiice. hope i will follow in your footsteps, sans 100 page outline.



i used it for the entire exam. it was worth its weight in gold. i've never been able to work in as many legitimate case cites as i did here.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Can anyone help me with this con law PT I'm doing? Basically the hypo is that a town that is mostly white but has an African-American minority population is building a 2nd high school in a corner of the town where most of the african-americans live (the original high school is in the other corner of the town). The town decides to split the township in half, and send half to the new high school and half to the other. People are suing because they want the town to adopt plan 1, which basically sent people to whichever school was physically closest to them. I'm thinking the issues are affirmative action, intentional discrimination, and maybe substantive rights (Meyer and Pierce), but I'm a bit confused because Plan 2 (which was adopted) was liked by half the african americans and most whites, and Plan 1 (which was rejected) was liked by most african americans and most whites. Basically, it doesn't seem like any of the issues which seem immediately obvious are even viable here, and I have no idea how to even fill up the 1200 word limit other than with "they have no claims because the township picked a plan which doesn't discriminate". I can PM the hypo to anyone, if they wanna check it out and help me.

Or maybe I'm supposed to just analyze the entire hypo under the Parents Involved standard? Still, I feel like I have ~400 words at the most. :|

I would discuss the remedies available if they were still under a judicial mandate to fix past unconstitutional segregation (more likely able to assign students based on race) versus if they never had that mandate or did but were ruled to have fixed the problem (need to exhaust race-neutral alternatives.)

Just say this fails Baker v. Carr, it's a political question, and therefore you shouldn't even address the rest.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15404
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby PennBull » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:34 pm

Bronck wrote:Don't worry guys, this is what we'll be doing pretty soon

Image


Counting up money to pay student loans?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Can anyone help me with this con law PT I'm doing? Basically the hypo is that a town that is mostly white but has an African-American minority population is building a 2nd high school in a corner of the town where most of the african-americans live (the original high school is in the other corner of the town). The town decides to split the township in half, and send half to the new high school and half to the other. People are suing because they want the town to adopt plan 1, which basically sent people to whichever school was physically closest to them. I'm thinking the issues are affirmative action, intentional discrimination, and maybe substantive rights (Meyer and Pierce), but I'm a bit confused because Plan 2 (which was adopted) was liked by half the african americans and most whites, and Plan 1 (which was rejected) was liked by most african americans and most whites. Basically, it doesn't seem like any of the issues which seem immediately obvious are even viable here, and I have no idea how to even fill up the 1200 word limit other than with "they have no claims because the township picked a plan which doesn't discriminate". I can PM the hypo to anyone, if they wanna check it out and help me.

Or maybe I'm supposed to just analyze the entire hypo under the Parents Involved standard? Still, I feel like I have ~400 words at the most. :|

I would discuss the remedies available if they were still under a judicial mandate to fix past unconstitutional segregation (more likely able to assign students based on race) versus if they never had that mandate or did but were ruled to have fixed the problem (need to exhaust race-neutral alternatives.)

So just to clarify the hypo a bit, plan 1 (which wasn't adopted) puts almost all the african-american people in the new high school, while plan 2 split them in half between the two high schools. There was no past discrimination, since before everyone went to the same high school. Basically, it seems like the problem is everyone wants to go to the new high school because its new and nice. The hypo is that I'm the plaintiffs attorney writing a memo. So basically I was saying that this probably wasn't affirmative action, but possibly could be.

I guess my big problem is that there was no past discrimination, and this plan doesn't seem to have anything to do with that, but I'm trying to force this into being an affirmative action thing.

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Birdnals » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Just say this fails Baker v. Carr, it's a political question, and therefore you shouldn't even address the rest.


This is my plan for every single question.

User avatar
dannynoonan87
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby dannynoonan87 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:46 pm

Am I crazy for just rereading the homicide section of my outline and Dressler's supplement before I start studying anything else for crim?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:53 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:Am I crazy for just rereading the homicide section of my outline and Dressler's supplement before I start studying anything else for crim?

As long as you remember the really basic stuff about MR and whatever, no, I don't think so.

User avatar
chiguy99
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby chiguy99 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:18 pm

Since Prop is policy heavy & crts deciding whatever ... what you think of citing cases on exam that were not covered in class nor in the book (which my prof wrote) but could be used for an argument? test is open book. Think that will rub the prof the wrong way? impress? or nothing at all

User avatar
Robert Paulson
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:26 pm

chiguy99 wrote:Since Prop is policy heavy & crts deciding whatever ... what you think of citing cases on exam that were not covered in class nor in the book (which my prof wrote) but could be used for an argument? test is open book. Think that will rub the prof the wrong way? impress? or nothing at all


I would think this would be somewhat of a time sink, since your prof wrote the questions with the material covered in class in mind. I wouldn't think it would rub the prof the wrong way if you did include the cases, but he is also probably not likely to give points since it would be pretty unfair to other students.

User avatar
chiguy99
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby chiguy99 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Nice input, just have an outline from a dif school and I see a few cases on here that help explain things for me that we didnt cover. So just thought if that situation popped on the test, do I dare cite random cases? thanks

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:44 pm

chiguy99 wrote:Nice input, just have an outline from a dif school and I see a few cases on here that help explain things for me that we didnt cover. So just thought if that situation popped on the test, do I dare cite random cases? thanks

IMO it can't hurt to include them if you remember them on the exam and they're really relevant, but I wouldn't stress over memorizing them and making sure that you know them.

User avatar
chiguy99
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby chiguy99 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:55 pm

SportsFan wrote:
chiguy99 wrote:Nice input, just have an outline from a dif school and I see a few cases on here that help explain things for me that we didnt cover. So just thought if that situation popped on the test, do I dare cite random cases? thanks

IMO it can't hurt to include them if you remember them on the exam and they're really relevant, but I wouldn't stress over memorizing them and making sure that you know them.


open everything.... no wasted memory here

User avatar
chiguy99
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby chiguy99 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:56 pm

chiguy99 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
chiguy99 wrote:Nice input, just have an outline from a dif school and I see a few cases on here that help explain things for me that we didnt cover. So just thought if that situation popped on the test, do I dare cite random cases? thanks

IMO it can't hurt to include them if you remember them on the exam and they're really relevant, but I wouldn't stress over memorizing them and making sure that you know them.


open everything.... no wasted memory here


what I am stressing over is a nice attack sheet

User avatar
ColoBoul
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby ColoBoul » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:06 pm

I don't think it would be useful to apply additional cases. My reasoning is, if your professor didn't included it in his book and didn't teach it to you in class why would he want you to apply it on an exam? I think it would just waste time, just my two cents.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LawHammer, splitterfromhell, WashingtonIrving and 8 guests