OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SportsFan

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:41 am

stillwater wrote:If someone brought a hundred+ page outline, I'd probably laugh at them.

Yeah, I like my 30-40 page outlines since I can still flip through them easily. Then again, I go against conventional TLS logic and usually look at my outlines a lot during my exams. I'm a quick typer/thinker though, which makes it possible.

What makes me really laugh is the outlines people bring that half half the page (if not even more!) highlighted. Like... whats the point?!

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:44 am

My con law professors questions are crazy. One question with a 1200 word limit had a CC issue, 2 2nd amendment issues, and an equal protection issue. Another question with a 1200 word limit was entirely about the Casey "undue burden" abortion rights standard. Oy.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:48 am

First final tomorrow. Closed book Contracts. Feeling decent about it, we'll see. Prof has completely changed up his teaching/exams in the 3 years he has been here so no idea exactly what to expect which is nerve wracking.

Then, I have a 24 hour take home Con Law final from Sunday at noon-Monday at noon. 3,000 word limit for 3 questions.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Birdnals wrote:Then, I have a 24 hour take home Con Law final from Sunday at noon-Monday at noon. 3,000 word limit for 3 questions.

:shock:

Good luck on those finals bro.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Birdnals wrote:Then, I have a 24 hour take home Con Law final from Sunday at noon-Monday at noon. 3,000 word limit for 3 questions.

:shock:

Good luck on those finals bro.

Yeah, that shit scares me the most. Last question is 100% policy too.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:23 pm

don't you guys find policy to be the best part of exams, though?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

Anyone know of any pending SC issues that my professor could use as inspiration for exam questions? Maybe we should try to create a list?

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 pm

mephistopheles wrote:don't you guys find policy to be the best part of exams, though?

No.

Obviously it is where most the fringe points are to be had to separate you from the pack, but I just want a prof to say:"answer the question" and let me throw** in policy where appropriate. I don't want a full question of it.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:33 pm

my dream exam would be a 3 hour in class exam with one essay question: "impress me."

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Birdnals wrote:Yeah, that shit scares me the most. Last question is 100% policy too.

Super-policy. Last semester's policy question was basically 'talk about the balance between rights protection and efficient government in our current body of constitutional law".
Last edited by Randomnumbers on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:50 pm

SportsFan wrote:Yeah, I like my 30-40 page outlines since I can still flip through them easily. Then again, I go against conventional TLS logic and usually look at my outlines a lot during my exams. I'm a quick typer/thinker though, which makes it possible.

I think people make too big of a deal out of OL size. Yes, 50 pages is too big. But, 30 pages? That's perfectly fine. My Civ Pro one last sem was that long and I did really well. If you know where stuff is located, then it's not a big deal. It's easy to flip to the relevant section and just double check you have all the elements down.

mephistopheles wrote:don't you guys find policy to be the best part of exams, though?

Policy is the fucking worst

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Bronck wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Yeah, I like my 30-40 page outlines since I can still flip through them easily. Then again, I go against conventional TLS logic and usually look at my outlines a lot during my exams. I'm a quick typer/thinker though, which makes it possible.

I think people make too big of a deal out of OL size. Yes, 50 pages is too big. But, 30 pages? That's perfectly fine. My Civ Pro one last sem was that long and I did really well. If you know where stuff is located, then it's not a big deal. It's easy to flip to the relevant section and just double check you have all the elements down.

IMO 60+ pages is where outlines become ridiculous, and you're probably doing something wrong. I think ~15 pages is the point where if your outline is that short, you're also doing something wrong (unless you're just REALLY concise).

Oh, and for con law, is the test in Dole basically the only thing I need to know for the 10th amendment? And Sibelius, if theres a question on a mandate? Otherwise, Congress can pretty much spend for whatever they want under the "general welfare" idea of Butler, right?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:00 pm

SportsFan wrote:Oh, and for con law, is the test in Dole basically the only thing I need to know for the 10th amendment? And Sibelius, if theres a question on a mandate? Otherwise, Congress can pretty much spend for whatever they want under the "general welfare" idea of Butler, right?

Dole? That's for the spending power.

For 10A our class covered Garcia v. SA MTA, and Gregory v. Ashcroft for command-based regulation of state actors, and NY v. US and Printz v. US for commandeering.

No idea what Butler is, but yes the spending and taxing power gives Congress enormous latitude in enacting legislation that otherwise couldn't be enacted under the CC.

If you have a Q on the ACA, I'd imagine Sibelius would be clutch. Though, I'm not sure why they would be asking you to basically just regurgitate Roberts and Ginsburg. I think the only real takeaway from NFIB is the activity-inactivity distinction. Otherwise, you follow the framework laid out by Lopez/Morrison/Raich.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Randomnumbers wrote:
Birdnals wrote:Yeah, that shit scares me the most. Last question is 100% policy too.

Super-policy. Last semester's policy question was basically 'talk about the balance between rights protection and efficient government in our current body of constitutional law".

Yeah, going through his old tests, there is one that is basically "The Supreme Court follows their political objectives, not the Constitution. Defend or Deny this."

And you have 800-1,000 words to do so. Not looking forward to that

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Bronck wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Oh, and for con law, is the test in Dole basically the only thing I need to know for the 10th amendment? And Sibelius, if theres a question on a mandate? Otherwise, Congress can pretty much spend for whatever they want under the "general welfare" idea of Butler, right?

Dole? That's for the spending power.

For 10A our class covered Garcia v. SA MTA, and Gregory v. Ashcroft for command-based regulation of state actors, and NY v. US and Printz v. US for commandeering.

No idea what Butler is, but yes the spending and taxing power gives Congress enormous latitude in enacting legislation that otherwise couldn't be enacted under the CC.

If you have a Q on the ACA, I'd imagine Sibelius would be clutch. Though, I'm not sure why they would be asking you to basically just regurgitate Roberts and Ginsburg. I think the only real takeaway from NFIB is the activity-inactivity distinction. Otherwise, you follow the framework laid out by Lopez/Morrison/Raich.

We learned the 10th amendment and the spending powers together (the heading on our reading assignment for that day was "Assignment #9: Tenth Amendment (Revived) and the Spending Power"), which is probably why my question sounds jumbled up haha. We did Garcia and Printz, but didn't do Gregory or NY v. US. I think I need to work on reorganizing my outline a bit though... thanks.

As for Sibelius, my professor basically said its useful if the hypo says anything about a mandate, but I imagine thats the only context its relevant in.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for civ pro MC questions?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for civ pro MC questions?

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:21 pm

My civ pro exam was essay based, but I thought I remember reading good things about Glannon's MC version.

http://www.amazon.com/Glannon-Guide-Civ ... +procedure

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm

The Q&A is OK. Most Q&A's are too easy but that one I thought was decent.
My exam though still was much harder --MC questions dealt with long fact patterns. Haven't seen anything similar

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:55 pm

I'm so screwed in crim. At least my entire section is too.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:55 pm

SportsFan wrote:I'm so screwed in crim. At least my entire section is too.

haha, yep. i was pwned earlier in the week.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:59 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I'm so screwed in crim. At least my entire section is too.

haha, yep. i was pwned earlier in the week.

My professors multiple choice exam is just insane. Doing last years exam, I can get most answers down from 4 choices to 2, but almost none from 2 choices to the correct one, even if I spend 10 minutes on each question with Dressler and my outline. :|

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 pm

All of my exams so far have been closed book, with the exception of one in which we could take in an outline. My Con Law exam this semester lets us bring in a single sheet, double sided of info. For those of you who have had similar limitations, how do you suggest that I organize it?

RaleighStClair

Postby RaleighStClair » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 pm

llachans wrote:All of my exams so far have been closed book, with the exception of one in which we could take in an outline. My Con Law exam this semester lets us bring in a single sheet, double sided of info. For those of you who have had similar limitations, how do you suggest that I organize it?

Same here, except mine is for Torts 2 (damages, negligence, prox cause, contrib/comp negligence, etc.). Not really sure how I should organize mine. My prof is big on working between cases so obviously that's something.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 pm

RaleighStClair wrote:
Same here, except mine is for Torts 2 (damages, negligence, prox cause, contrib/comp negligence, etc.). Not really sure how I should organize mine. My prof is big on working between cases so obviously that's something.

Yeah, i'm not sure what's the smartest way to utilize the limited space. Con Law seems extremely case-heavy as well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”