OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nelson

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 pm

I do not feel good about exams this semester. I still had some excitement about law school in December that got me through the last set but that is totally gone now.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Nelson wrote:I do not feel good about exams this semester. I still had some excitement about law school in December that got me through the last set but that is totally gone now.

I am DOA this semester. I went from semi-enthused last semester to flat and uninspired.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 pm

stillwater wrote:
Nelson wrote:I do not feel good about exams this semester. I still had some excitement about law school in December that got me through the last set but that is totally gone now.

I am DOA this semester. I went from semi-enthused last semester to flat and uninspired.

Yeah. First exam is tomorrow and I'm trying to recall the edge I had going in last semester but it ain't there.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:47 pm

Nelson wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Yeah. First exam is tomorrow and I'm trying to recall the edge I had going in last semester but it ain't there.

I usually get a nice adrenaline bump when I arrive. So I am sure once it's go-time, you'll know what to do.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:49 pm

Stillwater, everything you post feels like it's coming right out of my mouth. Get out of my head.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 pm

stillwater wrote:
I usually get a nice adrenaline bump when I arrive. So I am sure once it's go-time, you'll know what to do.

Thanks. I hope this works out for all of us.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 am

SportsFan wrote:
stillwater wrote:I didn't know letting undergrads into the law library -why would you go to the library as an undergrad is beyond me- was a thing until I saw some girl posted up with a stack of Spanish language children's books.

At least at Penn, the undergrads in the law library are usually some sort of science or engineering major. I never see any Wharton kids... I guess those damn business majors have it easy. :lol: Luckily our law library is decently sized (its 4 floors) and the law school itself is relatively small, so there's never any trouble getting a good place to study. I imagine if more law students actually used the library, they'd close it to undergrads the whole semester.

I go to the undergrad library to study. Better vibe, less stress, more eye candy. Also better lighting, coffee, and hours.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 am

This is my favorite thread on TLS
Last edited by Nova on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:43 am

Questions regarding pre-written answers: do you bring in copies of your pre-written responses into the exam with you (assume open book exam)? If so, do you ever bring in an electric copy as well or just a hard copy? If it's a take home, do you straight up copy and paste? Just wondering how people do this. I might give it a try for one of my exams this semester.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:55 am

i'll send out the conlaw shit tonight (hopefully it's what you all want).

man, fuck exams.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

1st final over with. Went really well, though I feel like I may get medianpwned because I may have dropped a few points on some more difficult things that I hadn't really studied (even though I was almost certain they'd be on it). Still, I feel I did good enough that I have a good chance at an A-, or at worst a B+. So thats a good start.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:54 pm

jealous of your confidence

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:59 pm

mephistopheles wrote:jealous of your confidence

tbf it was one of those exams where most people feel good after, then people get medianpwned because of dat curve. hoping that doesn't happen to me, but we'll see.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:30 pm

i'd be happy to ride the median pony this semester.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:36 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:26 pm

SportsFan wrote:1st final over with. Went really well, though I feel like I may get medianpwned because I may have dropped a few points on some more difficult things that I hadn't really studied (even though I was almost certain they'd be on it). Still, I feel I did good enough that I have a good chance at an A-, or at worst a B+. So thats a good start.

Feels good to be 25% closer to done at least!

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Con Law tomorrow. 8 hour take-home with a word limit. Concerned that I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject to distinguish myself from the pack. Dammit.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Con Law tomorrow. 8 hour take-home with a word limit. Concerned that I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject to distinguish myself from the pack. Dammit.

My con law is a take home with strict word limit too. I don't understand where the separation in the curve comes from when everyone spots the issues.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:49 pm

Nelson wrote:
Geaux12 wrote:Con Law tomorrow. 8 hour take-home with a word limit. Concerned that I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject to distinguish myself from the pack. Dammit.

My con law is a take home with strict word limit too. I don't understand where the separation in the curve comes from when everyone spots the issues.

Last year's was tough. I can definitely see people missing some shit on last year, and especially missing the policy question we had. His other past exams though, totally agree.

(sorry couldn't help myself haha)

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:54 pm

Nelson wrote:

Mines 4 hours in class, but the professor says its basically a 3 hour exam, and it has strict word limits. So I also have no idea where the separation is gonna come from, because my professor doesn't really include too many issues (and he makes them all pretty obvious...). I guess that means missing an issue pretty much instantly gets you a B/B-, but thats the only non-arbitrary separation I can even think of. :|

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:18 pm

PennBull wrote:
Nelson wrote:

Last year's was tough. I can definitely see people missing some shit on last year, and especially missing the policy question we had. His other past exams though, totally agree.

(sorry couldn't help myself haha)

Yeah, the past exams seem pretty variable. I loathed that class too so I am definitely not as prepared as I could be. I assume you're right though since he must find something to base grades on.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 pm

Under Lopez 2, how significant does the instrumentality of interstate commerce have to be? Can it be a handful of persons going across borderlines? Does it have to meet some critical mass?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:01 am

Bronck wrote:Under Lopez 2, how significant does the instrumentality of interstate commerce have to be? Can it be a handful of persons going across borderlines? Does it have to meet some critical mass?

Congress can regulate it as long as they don't touch ARE GUNS or ARE WIMMENZ.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 am

Can I get a serious answer?

The PT is on a proposed law to allow adoption of kids by same sex couples in private and state agencies. The congressional findings say that private agencies not infrequently involve cross-border adoptions, but state agencies involve virtually none.

All I could think about in response is it wouldn't fly with the court under Lopez 2 b/c it's attempting to regulate too much. If it only regulated private agencies, then it would be OK, but since state agencies involve no interstate movement of children (instrumentalities), it's no bueno.

Is that right? wrong? Am I misunderstanding Lopez 2?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:17 am

if there's a handful of persons crossing borders for a commercial activity that's definitely good

edit: now that you posted the hypo, maybe I'm fucked for tomorrow's exam...why are you arguing this is a CC case and not congress enacting shit to protect civil liberties/EP?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”