OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gaud

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
lakerinstl wrote:What's the consensus on the best supplement for Property?

I thought E&E was good. Others swore by Guilbert.

Crunchtime is pretty legit IMO

more focus on short answer than essays

soj

Postby soj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
lakerinstl wrote:What's the consensus on the best supplement for Property?

I thought E&E was good. Others swore by Guilbert.

Gilbert has good bullet point notes, but I prefer supplements that explain the law in readable narrative prose. Sprankling FTW

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Last week of class. Time to go. Here on out team. The library is filled for the first time this semester time to outwork everyone. CSWS.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:Last week of class. Time to go. Here on out team. The library is filled for the first time this semester time to outwork everyone. CSWS.

The library at Penn gets less full (not that its ever really full anyway) during finals, because they stop letting undergrads in after the last week of classes is over. :lol:

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:52 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:Last week of class. Time to go. Here on out team. The library is filled for the first time this semester time to outwork everyone. CSWS.

The library at Penn gets less full (not that its ever really full anyway) during finals, because they stop letting undergrads in after the last week of classes is over. :lol:

Ew, they let undergrads in? Ours doesn't let them in any time of the year

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Bronck wrote:
SportsFan wrote:

The handful of times I've been in the law library this year it felt like it was 95% LLMs and undergrads.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Bronck wrote:
SportsFan wrote:

This is not true.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:02 pm

hibiki wrote:This is not true.

Wait seriously? I thought you needed to use an ID card to get in?

Shows you how little I use the law school for anything other than classes and free food lol

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

Shows you how little I use the law school for anything other than classes and free food lol

what?!?!

lunch events. you guys don't have them?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:07 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:Shows you how little I use the law school for anything other than classes and free food lol

what?!?!

lunch events. you guys don't have them?

ahhhhhh... yes we have them, almost invariably pizza and scheduled during torts :evil:[/quote]

:( We had some kick ass Thai food today

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Bronck wrote:

I think non law students can still use the building until later in the term. I know I've seen someone (in my spot!) doing bio coursework in the law library.

Also, at least you are a master at the free food part. I feel like you should be a student mentor if only to train future students in proper lunch gaming procedures.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Just under 13 hours until my first final. Unlike last semester, I'm not really nervous at all. Hoping to get all A-'s this semester, or at least 2 A-'s and 2 B+'s, which are lofty but IMO realistic goals. We'll see.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:32 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Lacepiece23 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
stillwater wrote:im such a piece of shit this semester

I can't tell if I'm doing less work this semester because a. I'm a lazy asshole or b. I "get" law school more this time around.

Yeah it seems like a lot of people at our school have been doing substantially less this semester. Me included. O well.

Yeah. I feel like a lot of people panicked in January, but now everyone's working less.

hoping this is true at my school. I never can gauge how much people work or how much they get it.
LRS/Admin is going to be a coinflip

ETA: damn blump, that's nuts

Geaux12

Postby Geaux12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Yeah, I'm going to have to learn all of Property (minus FI, thank goodness I took the time for that at least) in about three days. Hope the E&E and Sprankling are good.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:46 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Just under 13 hours until my first final. Unlike last semester, I'm not really nervous at all. Hoping to get all A-'s this semester, or at least 2 A-'s and 2 B+'s, which are lofty but IMO realistic goals. We'll see.

Best of luck!

I don't know how to compare how I feel this semester to last semester. Last semester, I was scared shitless because I didn't know what to expect and how to prepare. This semester, I'm scared shitless because I know what to expect (somewhat) and, for some reason, feel wholly unprepared despite having studied and prepped in the same manner as last semester (which worked out quite well).

Thanks!

Last year, my lowest grade was in my first final, where I knew the material but just freaked out during the exam and couldn't think straight so my arguments were all terrible. If I had been a lot more calm, I would have definitely gotten at least 1 grade higher, possibly 2. Meanwhile, my best grade (A- in civ pro, which I'm pretty sure would have been an A had I not completely screwed up the Erie question... oh well) was in my last final, where I was extremely calm the entire time, and ended up finishing with ~20 minutes left (though I went back and fixed/expanded on a few things, I didn't just submit it). So I'm definitely taking those lessons into account this semester, and am gonna stay calm and relaxed, because at this point, I know that I know the material, and I have a very good idea of what my professors want to see.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:01 pm

SportsFan wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Just under 13 hours until my first final. Unlike last semester, I'm not really nervous at all. Hoping to get all A-'s this semester, or at least 2 A-'s and 2 B+'s, which are lofty but IMO realistic goals. We'll see.

Best of luck!

I don't know how to compare how I feel this semester to last semester. Last semester, I was scared shitless because I didn't know what to expect and how to prepare. This semester, I'm scared shitless because I know what to expect (somewhat) and, for some reason, feel wholly unprepared despite having studied and prepped in the same manner as last semester (which worked out quite well).

Thanks!

Last year, my lowest grade was in my first final, where I knew the material but just freaked out during the exam and couldn't think straight so my arguments were all terrible. If I had been a lot more calm, I would have definitely gotten at least 1 grade higher, possibly 2. Meanwhile, my best grade (A- in civ pro, which I'm pretty sure would have been an A had I not completely screwed up the Erie question... oh well) was in my last final, where I was extremely calm the entire time, and ended up finishing with ~20 minutes left (though I went back and fixed/expanded on a few things, I didn't just submit it). So I'm definitely taking those lessons into account this semester, and am gonna stay calm and relaxed, because at this point, I know that I know the material, and I have a very good idea of what my professors want to see.

Good luck bro. Penn TLSers always do well haha

LSL

Postby LSL » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Last edited by LSL on Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soj

Postby soj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:57 pm

Geaux12 wrote:Yeah, I'm going to have to learn all of Property (minus FI, thank goodness I took the time for that at least) in about three days. Hope the E&E and Sprankling are good.

you can do it, i was in the exact same situation. property is hard but you don't need to read any cases (you don't really need to for any other class, either, but especially in property) so focus on finding a good outline, reading sprankling, and doing practice exams.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 pm

I didn't know letting undergrads into the law library -why would you go to the library as an undergrad is beyond me- was a thing until I saw some girl posted up with a stack of Spanish language children's books.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 pm

stillwater wrote:I didn't know letting undergrads into the law library -why would you go to the library as an undergrad is beyond me- was a thing until I saw some girl posted up with a stack of Spanish language children's books.

At least at Penn, the undergrads in the law library are usually some sort of science or engineering major. I never see any Wharton kids... I guess those damn business majors have it easy. :lol: Luckily our law library is decently sized (its 4 floors) and the law school itself is relatively small, so there's never any trouble getting a good place to study. I imagine if more law students actually used the library, they'd close it to undergrads the whole semester.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”