OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nova » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:04 am

Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:I feel ya... studying for my last 2 exams today (maybe a little tomorrow)... then focusing on my first two for the bulk of the week.
my civ pro is open book and the teacher basically told us what to expect... I am now worried about grades b/c everyone will also know whats coming down the pike and I want to get that A! fuuuuuuuuck

I've said it a bunch in this topic, but pre-write your answers. Gonna be even easier know if you know what topics to expect. Pre-write all the rules for the topics that'll be on it, and make sure to include all the possible forks so as you write the rules on the exam, you can really quickly/easily spot the forks in the law in the Law

Pre-writes FTW!!!!!

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 am

gaud wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Anyone have a conlaw outline that reflects nfib v. Sebelius changes?


<--- Would also be interested

Yeah, anyone?

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby llachans » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:56 am

Does anyone have a con law or property checklist they'd be willing to share?

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 am

yes, but when do you need them by? is tomorrow night alright?

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 am

Lacepiece23 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Today was the last day of my "general studying". Two days before my first final, and 2 days before each of the next, so I'm switching to (almost) exclusively prepping for the next exam. I feel pretty good about 2 classes, 1 could go either way, and the last (crim) everyone in my section knows is gonna be a shitshow.

Whole semester comes down to these next 2 weeks... CSWS.


good luck my man, lucky to be done so much earlier then all of us. I still got like 12 days until my first final or something like that with a brutal 3 days in between each.

Its definitely weird being one of the first people ITT to take exams, especially since last semester Penn was one of the last schools to even start taking finals, and I was one of the very last people done.

Though last semester I think I had 4 days before my 1st final, 3 before the 2nd, and 5 before the 3rd. Needless to say, I only spent like 2 of those 5 days studying for the last final (and it ended up being my best grade!) haha.

llachans
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby llachans » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:09 pm

mephistopheles wrote:yes, but when do you need them by? is tomorrow night alright?

I still have 2 weeks or so until finals start so take your time. Thanks so much! I appreciate it :)

[Edit: if that was directed at me. I know there was another request right before mine.]

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:15 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby laxbrah420 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 pm

llachans wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:yes, but when do you need them by? is tomorrow night alright?

I still have 2 weeks or so until finals start so take your time. Thanks so much! I appreciate it :)

[Edit: if that was directed at me. I know there was another request right before mine.]

If for me, tomorrow night black letter conlaw with nfib updates on tax, spending, commerce, and p&i would be appreciated :mrgreen:

Actually any solid Bll conlaw outline would be appreciated. My case-based one I built is less useful than I thought it would be.

JG7773
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:02 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby JG7773 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:39 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
llachans wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:yes, but when do you need them by? is tomorrow night alright?

I still have 2 weeks or so until finals start so take your time. Thanks so much! I appreciate it :)

[Edit: if that was directed at me. I know there was another request right before mine.]

If for me, tomorrow night black letter conlaw with nfib updates on tax, spending, commerce, and p&i would be appreciated :mrgreen:

Actually any solid Bll conlaw outline would be appreciated. My case-based one I built is less useful than I thought it would be.


Would you mind sharing your case-based one? My prof basically wants us to memorize the facts of the cases and the rules that stem from the case and its progeny. . . We have covered something like 125 cases this semester, so it should be a great time!

User avatar
hyakku
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby hyakku » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:46 pm

JG7773 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
llachans wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:yes, but when do you need them by? is tomorrow night alright?

I still have 2 weeks or so until finals start so take your time. Thanks so much! I appreciate it :)

[Edit: if that was directed at me. I know there was another request right before mine.]

If for me, tomorrow night black letter conlaw with nfib updates on tax, spending, commerce, and p&i would be appreciated :mrgreen:

Actually any solid Bll conlaw outline would be appreciated. My case-based one I built is less useful than I thought it would be.


Would you mind sharing your case-based one? My prof basically wants us to memorize the facts of the cases and the rules that stem from the case and its progeny. . . We have covered something like 125 cases this semester, so it should be a great time!


That's just fucked up man, sorry to hear that.

First, Glannon is just my man. I was just going to use him to sure up my knowledge on some topics and just ran through the entire book in a few days because it was just that fucking great. I really want to meet this guy one day and buy him a boat.

That said, my man doesn't have anything for Class Actions. We went over this briefly towards the end of class and I feel pretty confident about this (and I've gotta reread one or two of the cases since I just skimmed, but I'm not too concerned). I'm wondering if anyone has any short outlines / notes on Class Actions that I can compare my shit to to make certain I haven't missed anything. My exams all closed book so I've been going hard on Civ Pro, Ks is open book and I feel pretty good there so I'm really hoping to keep taking more tests for Civ Pro for a while this week before exams start the next week and I have to study for Ks and Property substantially as well. Would appreciate the hook up.

Good luck y'all, almost done. To be honest though, as stressful as studying can be, I can't really complain about 1L year that much. I hope everyone else had a pretty good time and met some chill people, it's been pretty great outside of finals.

semantic
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby semantic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:36 pm

words here
Last edited by semantic on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15510
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:39 pm

semantic wrote:No one takes practice exams for an 8 hour take home, do they?

I did. I didn't write out all my answers but I mentally went through the questions and then spent a fair amount of time reading the professor's commentary. Worked out great, especially on one question which was almost identical to one from an old test.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby gaud » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:41 pm

mephistopheles wrote:yes, but when do you need them by? is tomorrow night alright?


Whenever you can. I'll PM you an email address. Thanks bro.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby redsox550 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Am I the only one still paranoid about how other ppl are studying and worrying about other peoples strategies and study groups, when I did great last semester without one? For some reason hearing people whisper about a class still drives me crazy

SportsFan
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:32 pm

I have a friend who was a poli sci major and is very interested in political theory and whatnot, but doesn't have any sort of legal background. So I've been teaching him about substantive due process for the last 20 minutes. Its really helped me prepare for my con law final. :lol:

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:38 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

semantic
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby semantic » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:42 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
semantic wrote:No one takes practice exams for an 8 hour take home, do they?

I did. I didn't write out all my answers but I mentally went through the questions and then spent a fair amount of time reading the professor's commentary. Worked out great, especially on one question which was almost identical to one from an old test.


Oh yeah, I meant write out the answers using the 8 hours.

What class was it?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15510
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:44 pm

semantic wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
semantic wrote:No one takes practice exams for an 8 hour take home, do they?

I did. I didn't write out all my answers but I mentally went through the questions and then spent a fair amount of time reading the professor's commentary. Worked out great, especially on one question which was almost identical to one from an old test.


Oh yeah, I meant write out the answers using the 8 hours.

What class was it?

Civ Pro. I actually did write out complete answers to like 2 questions, which wasn't crazy since we had a word limit. But otherwise just tried to figure out what they main points were supposed to be before going to the answers.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Anyone have suggestions as to whether one should study differently for 8hr take home vs. 3hr in class? I have 2 of each this semester and I'm not sure whether I should be taking a different approach to each one.

User avatar
Redamon1
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Redamon1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Anyone have suggestions as to whether one should study differently for 8hr take home vs. 3hr in class? I have 2 of each this semester and I'm not sure whether I should be taking a different approach to each one.


I had an 8-hour take home last semester, and I have one this semester. I didn't focus so much on creating an attack outline because I knew I wouldn't be as pressed for time. Generally I didn't focus much on outlining for that class - my cleaned-up notes were a good source. Another thing: try to think about the big picture to draw connections across issues on the issue spotter and the policy question. If you have a word limit, practice expressing a lot of ideas in just a few words (e.g. use case names as shorthand for concepts, insert one liners for side-issues that might get you an extra point).

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Anyone have suggestions as to whether one should study differently for 8hr take home vs. 3hr in class? I have 2 of each this semester and I'm not sure whether I should be taking a different approach to each one.


I didn't take any PTs for my 8hr take home, nor did I make an attack outline. My studying was OLing old model answers, so I could "steal" ideas when similar questions arose. So, basically, I was watching TV all day.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby soj » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:03 pm

fuck, didn't do shit today

User avatar
Bronck
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 pm

soj wrote:fuck, didn't do shit today


Beginning of qtr, nbd

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15510
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 pm

Studied like 10-12 hours since Friday, making this one of my most productive weekends of the year. Feeling much better about crim.

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:13 pm

soj wrote:fuck, didn't do shit today


I wanna be at stanford, or cololmbia :(

I'm at about 15 hours a day.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mathis1490, shineoncrazydiamond and 11 guests