OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mephistopheles

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby mephistopheles » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:25 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Only have 1.5 outlines done and classes end at the end of next week.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

haha, better than i was.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Only have 1.5 outlines done and classes end at the end of next week.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

haha, better than i was.

I learned last semester that it is not a good idea to take too long making an outline at the expense of having time to fully do practice tests.

I was hoping to have my outlining done by the end of classes. :?

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm

have to still read cases for next week because im on perpetual cold call for looking like a slacker when all i do is study :-/.

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 am

I made my own outlines from scratch last semester and this one. Last semester my worst grade ended up being in the class with the shortest outline (~20 pages, the other 2 were ~35). This semester, all 4 of mine are 32-38 pages. I wonder if this means I didn't understand my 1 class last semester as well as I thought I did (since clearly I seem to naturally want to make my outlines 30ish pages haha). Anyone else notice a situation like this?

soj

Postby soj » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:29 pm

SportsFan wrote:I made my own outlines from scratch last semester and this one. Last semester my worst grade ended up being in the class with the shortest outline (~20 pages, the other 2 were ~35). This semester, all 4 of mine are 32-38 pages. I wonder if this means I didn't understand my 1 class last semester as well as I thought I did (since clearly I seem to naturally want to make my outlines 30ish pages haha). Anyone else notice a situation like this?

don't read into that correlation. some courses just lend themselves to shorter outlines. focus on writing concise outlines and learning the shit out of them.

odoylerulez

Postby odoylerulez » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Am I the only 1L that did extremely well first semester ... but now feels like they are about to get absolutely pounded by second-semester finals?

I'm feeling a combination of being totally burned out and clueless right now.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:07 pm

odoylerulez wrote:Am I the only 1L that did extremely well first semester ... but now feels like they are about to get absolutely pounded by second-semester finals?

yep

BUT: i harbor a secret, unrealistic belief I will still pound the rest of the class into submission.

Lacepiece23

Postby Lacepiece23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:08 pm

odoylerulez wrote:Am I the only 1L that did extremely well first semester ... but now feels like they are about to get absolutely pounded by second-semester finals?

Nope not at all. I don't feel burned out just clueless lol.

salix

Postby salix » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

odoylerulez wrote:Am I the only 1L that did extremely well mostly okay first semester ... but now feels like they are about to get absolutely pounded by second-semester finals?

FTFM.

Working through some practice exams is terrifying me, but all I really want to do is sleeeeeep......

A nap would be so glorious right now.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:59 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm

i drift in and out of caring, which is bad.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I feel the same exact way. That first semester... was it just a fluke?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:18 pm

Just a few more weeks of hard work to forever change our lives. Lets do this brothers!

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:23 pm

salix wrote:Working through some practice exams is terrifying me

Same here. Im able to vomit about 2000 words an hour, but my arguements are shit.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:

I feel the same exact way. That first semester... was it just a fluke?

alright, im here to rally the unsure crowd that did well last semester and feel like they've lost what they had. Well, like Stella, you gotta get your groove back. We know how to apply law to fact, amirite??? We know how to slap on the keyboard like test monkeys on crystal meth???? Check. So let's learn some BLL and apply the shit out of it.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:26 pm

Truly trying to learn from my mistakes from last semester. Hit up a few PTs this week, now doing CALI lessons. Baller. KEEP IT UP!!!
Last edited by LetsGoLAW on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:29 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Truly trying to learn from my mistakes from last semester. Hit up a few PTs this week, not doing CALI lessons. Baller. KEEP IT UP!!!

my goal: write less.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Anyone have a hook on Property model answers? looking mostly for Possession/Estates/Easements/LL/T.

I have a good hook on Crim model answers if anyone wants. Some are written by Kadish.

mephistopheles wrote:my goal: write less.

Please explain.

stillwater wrote: We know how to apply law to fact, amirite??? We know how to slap on the keyboard like test monkeys on crystal meth???? Check. So let's learn some BLL and apply the shit out of it.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Nova wrote:Anyone have a hook on Property model answers? looking mostly for Possession/Estates/Easements/LL/T.

I have a good hook on Crim model answers if anyone wants. Some are written by Kadish.

mephistopheles wrote:my goal: write less.

Please explain.

my weakest exam consisted of some 25 pages of me rambling. it scored alright, but i could have killed it and i muddled my reasoning so much and just didn't.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 pm

mephistopheles wrote:my weakest exam consisted of some 25 pages of me rambling. it scored alright, but i could have killed it and i muddled my reasoning so much and just didn't.

Ahh, makes sense.

Im also in the process of finding a balance between stream of conscience and crafting my arguements better.

Neither of my doctrinal classes this semester are sue-everyone-for-everything typing contests, which are this meth monkey's strong suit.
Last edited by Nova on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Nova wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:my weakest exam consisted of some 25 pages of me rambling. it scored alright, but i could have killed it and i muddled my reasoning so much and just didn't.

Ahh, makes sense.

Im also in the processes of finding a balance between stream of conscience and crafting my arguements better.

Neither of my doctrinal classes this semester are sue-everyone-for-everything typing contests, which are this meth monkey's strong suit.

i'm considering writing my outline initially and filling in as i go through. this should structure better and if i find myself running out of time, i still have the skeleton of my argument laid out

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:55 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Nova wrote:

Ahh, makes sense.

Im also in the processes of finding a balance between stream of conscience and crafting my arguements better.

i'm considering writing my outline initially and filling in as i go through. this should structure better and if i find myself running out of time, i still have the skeleton of my argument laid out

That sounds like a solid strategy

Unagi

Postby Unagi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:11 pm

To the people that had pre written answers last semester, did you manage to do that for con law too?
I am having a hard time with this. :roll:

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm

Unagi wrote:To the people that had pre written answers last semester, did you manage to do that for con law too?
I am having a hard time with this. :roll:

I'm thinking about doing some pre-written stuff for con law, but I'm not gonna worry about it until a day or 2 before my exam. If I do pre-write some stuff, it's gonna be commerce clause and equal protection clause, since we spent so much on that stuff and I feel like its guaranteed to show up.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”