OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Nova

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Postby Nova » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:49 am

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:Bronck... What property book you using?

CB? Merrill.
Supp? Sprankling, Understanding Prop + I scanned some future interests/RAP workbook that is highly regarded on here

Nice... I also recommend Siegels b/c it has exam hypos + sample answers

Siegels essay hypos are super legit.

I used it for K last semester, and it was gold. I recommend it to ANYONE who is looking for standard K essay hypos.

Im hoping the Crim and Prop editions are just as good.

Robert Paulson

Postby Robert Paulson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm

How much of the rules is everyone memorizing for civ pro. Is it necessary to memorize every nuance of every rule or just the basic ideas and the nuances discussed in class or in the text?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:How much of the rules is everyone memorizing for civ pro. Is it necessary to memorize every nuance of every rule or just the basic ideas and the nuances discussed in class or in the text?

Make flow charts, follow the problem through your flow chart, profit.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Anyone have any legit FRCP flow charts?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Anyone have any legit FRCP flow charts?

also interested in this.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Sorry, I never actually made one, but when I was taking the exam I was like "fuck, I should've made a flow chart."

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:How much of the rules is everyone memorizing for civ pro. Is it necessary to memorize every nuance of every rule or just the basic ideas and the nuances discussed in class or in the text?

My civ pro strategy which got me an A- (which I'm pretty sure would have been an A if I hadn't really messed up the Erie question :( oh well) was to pre-write answers for all the questions I knew were gonna come up (Erie, preclusion, personal jurisdiction, etc.) then to have some stuff pre-written for the rules we discussed a lot in class (like the 12b motions, the joinder rules, and some discovery stuff). Beyond that, I never really memorized a lot of the nuances of random rules (though if your professor isn't pretty predictable like mine was, maybe you should), and I actually looked up 2-3 rules in the rulebook during the exam that I had no idea about, and still had plenty of time (since so much of my exam ended up just being stuff I re-wrote from my outline rather than having to actually think about).

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Took it last semester. I'd say every nuance of the big stuff, not the useless stuff like notice and the color of envelopes and such bullshit.

The more nuances, the deeper your analysis will be and the better your grade. The single fork is for losers. You can get like 20 fucking forks going on in that class.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:41 pm

SportsFan wrote:

My civ pro strategy which got me an A- (which I'm pretty sure would have been an A if I hadn't really messed up the Erie question :( oh well) was to pre-write answers for all the questions I knew were gonna come up (Erie, preclusion, personal jurisdiction, etc.) then to have some stuff pre-written for the rules we discussed a lot in class (like the 12b motions, the joinder rules, and some discovery stuff). Beyond that, I never really memorized a lot of the nuances of random rules (though if your professor isn't pretty predictable like mine was, maybe you should), and I actually looked up 2-3 rules in the rulebook during the exam that I had no idea about, and still had plenty of time (since so much of my exam ended up just being stuff I re-wrote from my outline rather than having to actually think about).

anything to share?

shumpshump

Postby shumpshump » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:42 pm

SportsFan wrote:

+1

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:48 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
SportsFan wrote:

anything to share?

If you want my 2 outlines (a regular one and an attack one, which ended up being pretty long since its where I put a lot of my pre-written stuff), PM me your email address and I can send them to you. IMO the organization of them is kinda mediocre, but all the information is there.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:56 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Anyone have any legit FRCP flow charts?

http://www.amazon.com/Acing-Civil-Proce ... +procedure

Checklists from that book are awesome for any civ pro class.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:08 pm

I must also add that Freer's treatise has 2 great little sections for frameworks: 1 for PJ and 1 for Erie. They are essential checklists or a series of yes/no propositions that you run through as you work through the doctrine. I thought they were excellent and just memorized them. I embarrassed my CivPro exam, so I have a lot of respect for Freer.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm

anyone know when to use Arbitrary and Capricious test versus when to use Chevron?

GSCgold

Postby GSCgold » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:26 pm

I've got checklists for SMJ, PJ, Venue, Notice, and Eerie if anyone wants to look at them.

I also offered a Dukeminier property outline and think I sent it to everyone who asked... If I missed you feel free to remind me.

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:24 pm

GSCgold wrote:I've got checklists for SMJ, PJ, Venue, Notice, and Eerie if anyone wants to look at them.

I also offered a Dukeminier property outline and think I sent it to everyone who asked... If I missed you feel free to remind me.

Can I check out those checklists, brah?

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:04 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:
GSCgold wrote:I've got checklists for SMJ, PJ, Venue, Notice, and Eerie if anyone wants to look at them.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 pm

stillwater wrote:anyone know when to use Arbitrary and Capricious test versus when to use Chevron?

Depends on which arb & cap review you mean. Chevron deference is for agency interpretations of law (in situations where the agency is acting with force of law).

"Arbitrary and capricious" is used in several ways. "Arbitrary and capricious" is the standard of review for agency determinations of fact in informal proceedings. This standard is the same as "substantial evidence" review of findings of fact in formal proceedings, see ADAPSO v. Board of Governors of the Fed. Reserve.

Any agency action (even procedural action that is not a determination of law or fact) is also subject to review of whether it is arbitrary and capricious (this is so-called "hard look" review). So an agency action that includes a determination of law reviewed under Chevron deference might also be subject to "hard look" review. Hard look review of agency action is basically a reasonableness inquiry (see Overton Park or Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Assoc. v. State Farm).

GSCgold

Postby GSCgold » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:

PM me with your e-mails

LetsGoLAW

Postby LetsGoLAW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:32 pm

LET'S FUCKING GO TEAM. I AM SO PUMPED UP. PUTTING DEM FINISHING TOUCHES ON MY CON LAW OUTLINE. I'M READY TO TAKE THIS CAKE, BAKE IT, AND EAT IT SLOWLY. IT'S FUCKING GO TIME.

Oh, and whoever introduced me to Chemerinsky in the beginning of the semester -- whoever you are -- you are my hero.

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 pm

BRIEF SEASON SUCKS

800 words from the limit and I still have an entire prong to discuss...oops

Postby 005618502 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:37 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:LET'S FUCKING GO TEAM. I AM SO PUMPED UP. PUTTING DEM FINISHING TOUCHES ON MY CON LAW OUTLINE. I'M READY TO TAKE THIS CAKE, BAKE IT, AND EAT IT SLOWLY. IT'S FUCKING GO TIME.

Oh, and whoever introduced me to Chemerinsky in the beginning of the semester -- whoever you are -- you are my hero.

Just starting to use that now... I might be to behind though, its so much longer than i expected.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”